Notifications
Clear all

How Exactly Do You Treat Perioral Dermatitis, Seborrheic Dermatitis, And Pih All On The Chin/mouth Area?

MemberMember
(@okiedokie123)

Posted : 08/28/2012 7:26 pm

I'm a little stuck. I went to the derm today and they said I have seborrheic dermatitis (excessive, flaky skin) on top of my perioral dermatitis which is currently in remission! They say not to use any cleansers for perioral dermatitis while I've read you can use cleansers for seborrheic dermatitis. I have also seen that you cannot moisturize for perioral dermatitis while you can/cannot for seborrheic dermatitis. Which is right and which is wrong? It's kind of tricky for me.

So far I was prescribed an oral antifungal Diflucan, Allegra for itching and allergic esophagitis, and Finacea for the PIH although it's located on the perioral dermatitis which may aggravate it. Anyone have ideas? Are there any one-size-fits-all remedies like ACV? (Derm said not to use this because he says it doesn't work lol)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/30/2012 3:35 pm

I'm a little stuck. I went to the derm today and they said I have seborrheic dermatitis (excessive, flaky skin) on top of my perioral dermatitis which is currently in remission! They say not to use any cleansers for perioral dermatitis while I've read you can use cleansers for seborrheic dermatitis. I have also seen that you cannot moisturize for perioral dermatitis while you can/cannot for seborrheic dermatitis. Which is right and which is wrong? It's kind of tricky for me.

So far I was prescribed an oral antifungal Diflucan, Allegra for itching and allergic esophagitis, and Finacea for the PIH although it's located on the perioral dermatitis which may aggravate it. Anyone have ideas? Are there any one-size-fits-all remedies like ACV? (Derm said not to use this because he says it doesn't work lol)

If you have true perioral dermatitis, you do not need a product for that, you just need to stop using toothpastes and mouthwashes with sulfates and fluoride. Squigle is a good brand.

You do not need to worry about not moisturizing for perioral or anything like that. Not sure where you got your info from. Perioral dermatitis is almost always caused by a sensitivity to sulfates, fluoride, and sometimes flavor extracts (most common offenders are cinnamon and peppermint) used in toothpaste or mouthwash. Your mouth is a very absorbent, sensitive area.

MemberMember
(@okiedokie123)

Posted : 08/30/2012 5:32 pm

If you have true perioral dermatitis, you do not need a product for that, you just need to stop using toothpastes and mouthwashes with sulfates and fluoride. Squigle is a good brand.

You do not need to worry about not moisturizing for perioral or anything like that. Not sure where you got your info from. Perioral dermatitis is almost always caused by a sensitivity to sulfates, fluoride, and sometimes flavor extracts (most common offenders are cinnamon and peppermint) used in toothpaste or mouthwash. Your mouth is a very absorbent, sensitive area.

Thanks Green Gables. I have stopped using mouthwashes and toothpastes with fluoride and sulfates...long ago! And I do use Squigles. Maybe it's the fluoride in my water. I don't think it's anything else but I hope it remains in remission.

MemberMember
(@thr333)

Posted : 04/08/2015 1:02 am

I don't have experience with all of the things you've mentioned, but as far as perioral dermatitis goes, I may be of some help. Ive had it for the past three months and have tried just about every natural cure / remedy that people recommended.

I believe there is a major correlation between POD and skin products / makeup though. I recently just stopped doing anything at all to my skin, and BAM it started to heal almost instantly it seemed.

I've been washing and moisturizing my face with aloe Vera gel and applying yogurt masks daily for about a week, and its pretty much gone now. So, it may be worth a try.. If anything its not going to make it any worse.

P.S. Sorry im a couple of years late, but I wanted to share my cure just in case it helps anyone else. :)

noche liked
MemberMember
(@michelle-s)

Posted : 09/18/2015 1:58 pm

Could you please share your yogurt mask recipe? And what type of aloe vera gel regimen you are using?
I have been suffering from POD for 10+ yrs. I was misdiagnosed. I have been to 4 different dermotologists who all say I have a mild
case but can't seem to remedy it. I had a severe reaction to Minocycline so I can't go that route. I have done 6 rounds of accutane and
then prednisone and dapsone. I have cut out all sulfates. And am desperate for it to go away once and for all. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. =)

I don't have experience with all of the things you've mentioned, but as far as perioral dermatitis goes, I may be of some help. Ive had it for the past three months and have tried just about every natural cure / remedy that people recommended.

I believe there is a major correlation between POD and skin products / makeup though. I recently just stopped doing anything at all to my skin, and BAM it started to heal almost instantly it seemed.

I've been washing and moisturizing my face with aloe Vera gel and applying yogurt masks daily for about a week, and its pretty much gone now. So, it may be worth a try.. If anything its not going to make it any worse.

P.S. Sorry im a couple of years late, but I wanted to share my cure just in case it helps anyone else. :)