Notifications
Clear all

Question for scar sufferers: Does mattifying foundation make scars more obvious?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/04/2017 3:50 pm

Has it been your experience that mattifying liquid foundation settles into scars, making them look more noticeable as the day wears on? (Actually, this question could apply to powder foundation, as well, though I'm more concerned about liquid foundation at present.)

I'm thinking of trying Estee Lauder's Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup (liquid foundation), which many reviewers on Ulta.com state has a mattifying effect. That's great for oily-looking skin and large pores--both of which I have; but I'm concerned that a mattifying foundation--especially one with potentially heavy coverage--could settle into my scars, making them more noticeable. (My scars are rolling, though I've one boxcar.)

Thank you,
PI

MemberMember
(@anna-jessxx)

Posted : 05/09/2017 12:19 pm

I haven't got lots of scarring (I suffer more from hyper pigmentation) but I've always found that matte foundations actually make scars less obvious compared to more dewey look foundations, also since the matte effect would help oiliness that you say you have I would just say to give it a go! though just remember that not all foundations are the same so if you're not a massive fan of that particular foundation that you're looking at doesn't mean that all matte foundations will have the same effect on your skin, I've found it takes a decent amount of experimentation to find a foundation that you really love, good luck!

MemberMember
(@deathtoallacne)

Posted : 10/01/2017 7:23 pm

Because everyone's skin is unique, I think truly the only way to find out is by observing your skin yourself when you have a matte foundation on, I would advise you to make sure you apply it in natural daylight.
Stand in front of a window and hold a mirror out, look and see if it is noticeable or not ;)