Notifications
Clear all

Foundation for extremely oily skin

MemberMember
(@echan)

Posted : 01/01/2017 1:09 am

Hi, I'm wondering if I could get some recommendations for a good mineral, natural or organic foundation that is great for controlling oil.
Im going to be traveling this year and I'm feeling really stressed out about my makeup (I know this sounds ridiculous) I need a foundation that I can wear every day, alllll day that will stay on my skin and NOT break me out.
I have tried an insane amount of brands. Right down to the small company ones who claim only a few ingredients in their makeup, NOTHING stays on my skin longer than a few hours. It makes me feel depressed and self conscious at times. I just want to put my makeup on and not worry through the day, and have not have breakouts from it either, especially when traveling.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/14/2017 10:24 am

I can really relate to your post as I have extremely oily skin and also just spent 2 years travelling. Trying to keep control of my oily skin is a constant struggle for me and really affects my self confidence. I don't have suggestions for natural or organic foundations but thought I'd try and offer some advice anyway. Sorry if these answers don't help - but they may be useful for someone who has oily skin and doesn't care too much about the natural/organic side of the question.

By far the best staying power is Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover. It's a really thick foundation so you don't need to use much. It has the best coverage of any foundation I've used. If you're not in need of the heavy coverage then you can actually just mix a bit of this in with your normal foundation. It will definitely give your normal foundation a longer lasting finish. I thought maybe this could be a good compromise because you can still mainly use organic foundation with just a bit of this added in.

After struggling for years with extreme oiliness, I really have found my whole routine to make a difference, not just the foundation. I just did a bit of research and this Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Face Scrub has good reviews. It's really important with oily skin to keep the pores clean - look for products that are for blackheads or pores instead of acne control as these can be too drying and often make oil worse. 

A moisturiser I have found to help a lot is The Body Shop Seaweed Oil Control Gel Cream. It's a bit pricey but definitely worth it! I'd also highly recommend using a primer. I don't have a natural version to suggest but there's a reason the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer is a cult beauty classic. I tried this on half of my face to see if it did make a difference and there was a noticeable oil reduction. They also do other versions like pore minimising but the reviews are not so good. Besides, the original primer works a treat.

I'd also recommend using a finishing powder - there seem to be some natural ones that have good reviews - and touching up throughout the day. Buy one that has a mirror and applicator and keep it in your bag for giving a quick top up whilst out and about!

Sorry I couldn't give any natural suggestions - personally I've not found any that have the coverage I need whilst controlling oil. I do have some other non-natural suggestions if you do decide to go down the non-natural route?

I really hope you enjoy your travels! Have fun :)

MemberMember
(@karonrowell)

Posted : 01/24/2017 3:57 am

thank you Pennydrinkstea for sharing this.

MemberMember
(@echan)

Posted : 01/28/2017 10:39 pm

Thansks Pennydrinkstea! It's nice even to know someone can relate to the same struggles I have with my oily skin. I will definitely give what you recommended a go :) 

MemberMember
(@gonzoee86)

Posted : 02/05/2017 1:53 pm

Sounds just like my skin! when I apply my makeup I usually let my moisturizer completely absorb or go without and just use aloe gel. I use Cover FX Oil free foundation natural finish. It has buildable coverage and comes in tons of shades. It is expensive at $40 but stays on all day with finishing powder and spray."This product is clinically tested, vegan, and free of fragrance, gluten, mineral oil, and talc"
That came straight from the sephora website. I hope this helps!