Notifications
Clear all

How to fix cakey foundation with Severe Acne?

MemberMember
(@jv0770)

Posted : 08/27/2016 4:01 pm

I have severe acne, and I'm currently visiting the derm and trying to get rid of my acne and acne scars. I recently began practicing makeup but my foundation is wayy too cakey. This is my routine:

Wash face with Cerave Facial Soap and pat dry with a towel
Use Cerave Moisturizing Cream, then wait until it all sinks in
use NYX Pore Filler and pat it on, then wait for it to sink in a bit
Then use NYX Photo Loving Primer Anti-Redness and let it sink in my skin
Then I apply green concelor and then put a regular concealor on top of each blemish
I also use purple concealor to balance out my dark spots since I have a lot of them
Then i use my Maybeline Fit Me Matte+Poreless Foundation (125) and apply with a beauty blender
Next I just retouch some visible acne spots with some concealor 
Then I use concealor under my eyes and do my eye makeup
Then my lips
Then i use my setting spray

And now my foundation looks cakey. What do i do? Should i buy another thing? Did I add to little or too much makeup? Should i add another layer of foundation? I dont have much money, so drugstore would be appreciated. Thanks !

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@oldbooksandcats)

Posted : 09/05/2016 3:11 pm

Congrats on starting your acne-clearing journey! I wish you all the best luck.

First off, good job on waiting for the moisturizer to sink in all the way before starting everything else. That's an important step.

This video has a lot of good points on how to avoid cakey makeup, but I disagree with her a little bit, so I'll put my own two cents below:

She says to use a damp beauty blender to press the foundation in to the skin. I disagree; beauty blenders are magnets for dirt, oil, and bacteria, and every time you use one, you're spreading that all over your face. A small damp disposable sponge may be slightly better, as you can just use it for a small portion of your face and then throw it away, but using your own clean fingers is still the best way to avoid acne. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the finger-application only method to work really well for me, so I use damp disposable sponges. At least this way I can use a totally fresh, clean, unused sponge every time.

Also, in the video, she sets her foundation with a powder. I find that powder of any sort seems to exacerbate dry flaky patches, so I'd recommend a setting spray, which you're already doing.

I hope these things will work for you. I personally have a terrible time with foundation not sitting right on my skin, and have only found 1 tinted moisturizer that doesn't look cakey, Urban Decay One and Done. You can always try thinning out your foundation by mixing it with your moisturizer, the thinner the foundation is, the better it will set into your skin.

MemberMember
(@eli_g)

Posted : 09/06/2016 2:55 am

Hi there! I'm new here but I wanted to add my two cents once I saw your post since I'm a makeup lover that suffers from acne.

From my experience, the 3 most important things to have is a really good oil-free moisturizer, a non-drying foundation (which usually means non-matte), and a freaking amazing, heaven sent concealer. This is just using my preferred method of applying make up for the more somewhat natural look.

So....my routine every day is... 
1. Wash face and tone: I was using a Neutrogena soy cleanser but they discontinued it so now I'm trying one from Peter Thomas Roth. I tone my skin with either organic Aloe Vera Gel/Juice or Thayers Rose toner.
2. Moisturize with Neutrogena Oil-Free moisturizer for sensitive skin. Although 3 months ago I splurged on the Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight Mask and just use that for my regular moisturizer since I've got some hella dry as the desert patches. Yaasss..so sexy, I know.
3. Sunscreen (Optional I suppose, but I think it's important)
4. Primer. Depending on how the skin is behaving....I mix it up between a moisturizing primer, a mattifying primer, or a pore filling primer.
5. Here's the really important part. I apply foundation (drugstore brand I love most is Maybelline fit me..second is Loreal true match...third is Neutrogena Healthy skin) using a damp cosmetic sponge. Not those hyped up beauty blenders and crap...use the throw away sponges, they're better for acne.. And I PAT foundation on, I NEVER rub. I also do not use fingers unless I'm in big rush (but it doesn't look as good). Key thing here is not to irritate or micro exfoliate any acne and dry patches.
6. Next I apply the best possible concealer possible. I use Nyx's orange full cover concealer on darker areas of my face and sometimes on acne spots...and then a thin layer of Hard Candy glamoflauge concealer on spots.
7. I use the sponge again and gently pat more foundation on just the areas with concealer. So there's pretty much a concealer sandwich. Yummy.
8. Next I powder my face with Nyx's Matte but not flat powder...then I DAB powder blush and highlighter on (again not rubbing with any of these.)
9. Setting spray. The ones from Nyx are pretty good...I've had to move up to using Urban Decay's setting spray though since Nyx just wouldn't work for me anymore.

However, if you prefer something that's completely full coverage and quicker. Change out the foundation to full coverage. I hear Revlon Colorstay is good....but to be honest, it just doesn't cut it for me. I now use Estee Lauder's Double Wear. Great coverage and doesn't budge at all...sometimes I use EL's maximum cover foundation as concealer too. Then since the double wear is fairly matte and a bit drying (since it's longwear) I use a cream or stain blush, and a cream highlighter to avoid the super dry, cakey look. Again, always dabbing these products on, not rubbing.

So anyway, sorry for the long post. I hope some of my methods can help you. :)