Notifications
Clear all

'do Not Moisturize'--Said My Derm

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 07/23/2014 9:18 am

Hi!

Went for my first derm visit a while ago, and he told me not to use any moisturizer. So, I'm doing exactly as he said!!

That was so hard for me to grasp because I used Olay Sensitive Skin facial lotion 2x/day for about 10 years now. After a few days with no lotion whatsoever, I am noticing that my skin is getting used to it and not getting as dry.

Has anyone else been told to AVOID moisturizer? I thought moisturizing was so important and it's even part of Dan's regimen. I guess I was wrong?

Tell me what you think!!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/23/2014 11:11 am

I avoid most commercial topicals. In my opinion, almost everything in the skin and hair care aisles exist to solve problems caused by the other things in those aisles. Starting with soaps/cleansers. Your skin could do a much better job taking care of itself if you don't interfere with it all the time.

MemberMember
(@jenjen182)

Posted : 07/23/2014 7:25 pm

I don't think I could live without moisturizer. I've tried putting makeup on without moisturizer on and it looks horrible. Cakey, flaking, uneven, patchy... Just yuck.

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 07/24/2014 7:54 am

I don't think I could live without moisturizer. I've tried putting makeup on without moisturizer on and it looks horrible. Cakey, flaking, uneven, patchy... Just yuck.

Yeah--the first few times I put on makeup without moisturizer, it looked pretty bad. BUT my skin got used to it already and now I don't even want to touch the lotion.

My skin is clearing up slowly. I cannot say that the moisturizer was causing me to break out, because I changed my entire routine per my derm's instructions so there are many factors.

I would recommend going without moisturizer for about a week to see if you like it. If you feel really dry then you can always go back to it!

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/02/2014 3:57 pm

For most of my clear years, I didn't use any moisturizer under my foundation. My skin was thick and pumped oil, and didn't need it. And yes, OTC moisturizers are full of preservatives, emulsifiers and suspensions that you just don't want on your skin. (SPF bothers me, too.)

Now that I'm older, it's more of a pH/bacteria susceptibility issue, and oil rebound from over-drying issue, as my skin is more dry.

You can spritz your makeup with distilled water or mixed with aloe to set and hydrate it throughout the day.