Notifications
Clear all

Lend Me Some Advice About Foundation On Accutane 🙂

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 05/29/2013 1:19 pm

I started Accutane last week, and i honestly believed i would never get dry and peely. Today i put on my foundation and i looked into the mirror and my expression was quite similar to my reaction after i run over a toad driving.... My skin was so peely looking, but i only noticed how horrible it was until i applied my foundation. Thats when it really hit me how dry its going to be in a week from now. This question is mainly for foundation and makeup- but i guess for good makeup application it starts with a good base or skin so this question should be on skin? well, i dont think peeling skin is avoidable on accutane. When last week when i started accutane i used cerave foaming cleanser but it made me feel tight, so i switched backed to my winter cleanser- Avene Extreamly gentle cleanser lotion but its a wipe off and it just wasnt cutting it for me, so today after seeing my skin i went and picked up La Roche Posay Toleriane Dermo Cleanser which is for dry skin and is a wash off as well as a whip off which is nice. Also i picked up La Roche Posay Toleriane moisturizer which im extreamly excited to try, and i also use CeraVe Lotion as a moisturizer but its formulated in a very watery way and was perfect pre-accutane but doesnt do much currently. Anyway back to makeup- I currently use CeraVe Lotion (havnt tried the laRochePosay one yet), after i apply Clinique Green Tint base with Spf 20 to cover redness, and after apply Cover FX Foundation with a Sonia Kasuk Buffing brush. Now should i focus more on hydrating skincare to diminish the dry/peely skin or the makeup. Sorry for the long post. :)

MemberMember
(@meowza)

Posted : 05/30/2013 6:03 pm

I'm sorry I can't help with the make up issue, I am having the same problem with accutane and foundation :\ Never thought I would ever have dry skin but man, as soon as I put on my regular foundation (MakeUp Forever HD) I was like holy crap, I look flaky and awful. I will say though, that when I changed from Cetaphil SPF 50 moisturizer in the morning to La Roche Posay SPF 60 melt in moisturizer, I am noticing a different. It feels more moisturized. La Roche Posay products are awesome.

If you find out anymore about this, let me know. My make up is till looking funky.

MemberMember
(@celestialelf)

Posted : 05/30/2013 6:09 pm

I DEFINITELY know what you mean, I had this exact problem while on Accutane! I never really noticed how dry and flaky my skin was until I would try to put makeup on .. it was a mess. Basically the only thing I could do was very gently exfoliate with sugar and olive oil. I would take my time and be very careful around active zits so as not to irritate them further. I would really only focus on areas that were super flaky like my nose edges. For some reason that area was always peeling away. x_X Exfoliation and moisturizing with natural products are my recommendation. Good luck. cheer.gif

MemberMember
(@mrs-k)

Posted : 05/30/2013 6:15 pm

Make sure you use a good primer under your foundation. I have never used primer in my life, but I started a few months ago and it makes a huge difference. Makeup lasts longer, goes on smoother, plus I feel like it protects my pores. It should help even out the flakes. I use Tarte brand, but I'm sure there are tons of other good ones.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 05/31/2013 6:51 am

You could try mixing moisturizer into your foundation, or mixing a primer in with your foundation. And yes they say apply primer before foundation, but sometimes it works better to just mix them together then apply.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 05/31/2013 9:50 pm

Thank you for all your comments! Seems im not alone. pre accutane i used cover fx perfectly. But its a cream and is horrible for dry skin. Im getting my nars sheer glow tomorrow in the mail but its supposed to be for dry skin. -Hey im on this for 6 months might as well find something that may work. I will comment back if you want to see how it works. Under this i wear a green tinted clinqiue base :)

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 06/02/2013 2:05 pm

so today was the first time i used Nars sheer glow- and i have to say it took the dry skin very nicely. It didnt make me look nasty at all- im actually pretty pleased with it. I applied it with my hands, so next time i use it i will try a brush to see which is better. I have a feeling using hands may be best because it reduces how much i buff my skin which causes the flakes to appear. Very happy so far. under i only used the La Roche Posay Soothing skin Moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@linhd)

Posted : 06/05/2013 12:46 pm

Hmm, I might have to try out the NARS sheer glow next time I'm at Sephora. Before Accutane I was using Revlon Colorstay for oily skin which honestly still works for me and I'm in my second month. Even though my skin is dry, my face still gets super oily. It's like a constant battle over here.

Anyhow, what worked wonders for my face (especially my nose edges) is just adding a few drops of Jojoba oil in your face lotion at night. I've also seen people on the Accutane boards talking about how they steam their face with it and it helps. Oh! And its great to put on your lips at night after you scrub the dead skin off. I notice more of a difference when I wake up with it compared to Aquaphor or Vaseline.