Notifications
Clear all

Really Need New Foundation That Won't Make Pores Look Larger! Currently Using Revlion Colorstay?

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 10/14/2012 6:32 pm

I'm currently using Revlon Colorstay, and its okay, but in the sunlight my face looks orange and uneven. I haven't been able to find a better foundation because they all make my pores look worse or make me look really orange. Any suggestions??

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 10/14/2012 7:57 pm

Almay Smart Shade. It covers lightly and will not settle into lines or pores.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/14/2012 8:24 pm

I use Clinique continuous coverage. It's a medium to heavy coverage. It is pretty thick stuff though some thin mine out with a drug store sensitive skin foundation. Like cover girls. Otherwise I use my moisturizer to thin it out and make it easier to work with. I started using it once I was on accutane. Everything else I tried made me look very matte and almost dead. So I really like this foundation if you are looking for good coverage and something that doesn't feel uber heavy.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 10/17/2012 5:46 pm

I'm currently using Revlon Colorstay, and its okay, but in the sunlight my face looks orange and uneven. I haven't been able to find a better foundation because they all make my pores look worse or make me look really orange. Any suggestions??

OH DEAR GOD WHY? Sorry I'm not trying to come off as rude or anything I just simply hate Colorstay. :P It's like a mask and for me wipes off super easily and makes me look sick and gray no matter what color I try.

I reallllllly like Loreal True Match everything. Not gonna lie there's not a whole lot of coverage and if you do use the concealer (LOVE IT) you will use a lot if you have a lot of spots to cover up like I do. But it will look natural and cover fairly well. And along with that it's non-comedogenic and super freaking awesome and cheap.

I use a flat $3 e.l.f powder brush from Target to stipple on the foundation and powder and it looks awesomeeee.

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 10/17/2012 7:23 pm

Seconding the hate for colorstay, everyone seems to love it, but why was a mystery to me.

The best thing to eliminate the look of pores is to actually use a primer, or use a brush when applying your foundation to buff around the area in circular motions.

I'm currently using estee lauders double wear. I really like it, it covers well but isnt obvious in natural light, I dont use a concealer with it either, I just touch up over my spots.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 10/20/2012 6:11 pm

OH DEAR GOD WHY? Sorry I'm not trying to come off as rude or anything I just simply hate Colorstay. :P It's like a mask and for me wipes off super easily and makes me look sick and gray no matter what color I try.

I reallllllly like Loreal True Match everything. Not gonna lie there's not a whole lot of coverage and if you do use the concealer (LOVE IT) you will use a lot if you have a lot of spots to cover up like I do. But it will look natural and cover fairly well. And along with that it's non-comedogenic and super freaking awesome and cheap.

I use a flat $3 e.l.f powder brush from Target to stipple on the foundation and powder and it looks awesomeeee.

Okay, well that's obviously not the experience I've had with Revlon Colorstay. My problem isn't covering up acne anymore- I need a makeup that covers up my pores and doesn't sink into them. The Revlon Colorstay is honestly the only makeup I've ever used that actually helped cover up my pores, and it has really good coverage. Yeah, it can look kind of like a "mask," but what full coverage foundation doesn't? The light foundations just make my skin look worse. The only reason I want a different foundation is because it tends to look a little orange. I've tried countless other foundations from just about every brand you can name, and they have all ended in disaster. Plus I never have to touch up with the Revlon. I've also had horrible experiences with brushes. My skin just really, really sucks. After writing this I've realized I should just stick with the Revlon, lol. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Seconding the hate for colorstay, everyone seems to love it, but why was a mystery to me.

The best thing to eliminate the look of pores is to actually use a primer, or use a brush when applying your foundation to buff around the area in circular motions.

I'm currently using estee lauders double wear. I really like it, it covers well but isnt obvious in natural light, I dont use a concealer with it either, I just touch up over my spots.

Good luck!

I knew I should have clarified this earlier because I knew someone would suggest this, but I already use a primer. It helps a little bit. I might actually check out the foundation though.

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 10/21/2012 4:24 am

If you go to an estee lauder counter they will give you a 10 day sample of it over here, assume its the same in the us. might be worth it as is a little pricey!

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 10/23/2012 11:05 am

I used to use Colorstay but it was just bloody awful!! It was like paint... it had the oddest consistency,was super orange and impossible to get off, even with my clarisonic. The foundation I switched to after that, Which is unfort. on the pricer side was Chanel's Perfection foundation. That was better than Colorstay, but my all time favorite foundation I am using currently. (Which doesn't oxidize!! Crazy thought for us pale girls) is Lancome Photo Luminecense or Perfection. I LOVE this foundation. It does not look cakey. The coverage is light to medium, but can be buildable. It's great, but I would get rid of Colorstay ASAP.

MemberMember
(@ceebee25)

Posted : 01/24/2013 4:34 am

I also agree with the hate for Revlon Colorstay! I used to use it everyday just because it was super full coverage but it felt SO heavy and disgustingly greasy on my face. It was so hard to take off at the end of the day and I had so many clogged pores while using it.

I switched to L'oreal Infallible foundation a month ago and my skin has cleared up a lot! I'm convinced Colorstay was breaking me out cos it's sooo thick. I really recommend the Infallible foundation :) it's a medium coverage but can be buildable, and is a much thinner creamier consistency than Revlon. It feels really light and smooth on the face, and has a really natural finish. It covers all my redness and scars fine. Im super pale and the ivory shade matches my skin tone without being orange :) they have a good colour range and its affordable too.

MemberMember
(@laurenholt)

Posted : 01/24/2013 3:21 pm

You've mentioned you use a primer - how about the Porefessional by Benefit. It's a great primer that reduces pores, redness, mattifies your skin and provides a great base so your makeup doesn't slide off.

I was really confused how a tiny bottle could be a little pricey, but you honestly need so so little. A pea drop per cheek and a pea drop for t-zone. I've had mine for 4 months, only just running out now. I never need to reapply makeup and pores don't shine through.

MemberMember
(@mermaidlovex)

Posted : 01/26/2013 6:35 pm

If its making you look orange, your moisturizer is making your foundation oxidize. And or the sunscreen in the moisturizer is making the foundation turn colors. . I love Revlom color stay foundation. It's my go too when I'm doing someone else's make up. (Freelance make up artist)

MemberMember
(@naturalog)

Posted : 01/30/2013 3:58 pm

You might want to try a pore-minimizing primer. Most primers work to minimize the appearance of pores, along with oil-controlling and other properties that helps makeup stay put longer. I personally have not found any foundation that doesnt eventually sink into pores. I believe oil can make foundation oxidize and turn orange so either control your oil by using oil-free products (or anti-shine products) or try a different shade of foundation.

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 02/17/2013 8:52 pm

No foundation will cover up pores without PRIMER.

Primer is the one thing that creates a barrier on the pores, so the foundation will stick on it instead of settling in them.

MemberMember
(@clkw)

Posted : 02/20/2013 8:38 pm

The new Garnier BB Cream for oily-combo skin is awesome. It has really good coverage for bb cream and helps with oil control.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 02/25/2013 3:04 pm

You need primer. I know...one extra step... :(

No experience with Revlon ColorStay. I find that the MAC Studio Sculpt (not the Studio Fix) line covers pores well.

MemberMember
(@cinnamon-girl)

Posted : 03/07/2013 5:15 am

Seeing good reviews and rave about Colorstay I was excited to buy it, and I bought it! Like everyone here it felt awful =/. I am not sure if my lack of make-up skills since its my first foundation.. but its indeed like a mask, sticky and heavy, the downside of it too is just how its so hard to remove... and having to experience acne, you just really want your skin to breathe, you want to go to bed with clean skin.. and after some wipes another wipes and so on.. its still coming, and even after washing my face.. it feels like there's still some left residue but then again maybe that's me being freaky towards putting anything on my face haha. From then I stayed away from foundation.

Though am still in search for a good everyday use lightweight feel, won't break me out make up or tinted moisturizer even bb cream they just need to fit in that category, to atleast make my skin look presentable, address the issue of dark spots and uneven skin tone. huh.png

MemberMember
(@aprilh0603)

Posted : 03/11/2013 6:38 pm

I have found a primer foundation combo that I really like for my pores. They're Urban Decay. I use their pore perfecting primer first (makes a huge difference for me) and then I use their Naked Skin liquid foundation. It really does look like my skin, only better. It's easy to build coverage where I need it most, and it doesn't settle into my pores at all. I love it.

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 03/15/2013 11:05 pm

Seeing good reviews and rave about Colorstay I was excited to buy it, and I bought it! Like everyone here it felt awful =/. I am not sure if my lack of make-up skills since its my first foundation.. but its indeed like a mask, sticky and heavy, the downside of it too is just how its so hard to remove... and having to experience acne, you just really want your skin to breathe, you want to go to bed with clean skin.. and after some wipes another wipes and so on.. its still coming, and even after washing my face.. it feels like there's still some left residue but then again maybe that's me being freaky towards putting anything on my face haha. From then I stayed away from foundation.

Though am still in search for a good everyday use lightweight feel, won't break me out make up or tinted moisturizer even bb cream they just need to fit in that category, to atleast make my skin look presentable, address the issue of dark spots and uneven skin tone. huh.png

Don't give up on it just yet :)

I can give u a tip on applying ANY foundations, is to apply it with a semi WET brush, but not dripping wet ( The ones that looks like paint brush, I don't know if there's a specific name for it)

A LITTLE bit goes a long way, especially for Revlon Colorstay, it's insanely high coverage, so it tends to look unnatural if you apply a little bit too much.

And to take off make up, try using cold cream by Ponds. Just follow the instructions on it :)

MemberMember
(@roes797)

Posted : 03/16/2013 12:34 am

It's also the technique you use to apply your foundation. I found this awesome tutorial on youtube to make your face seem poreless!

Personally, some great foundations in my opinion for oily-combo skin is mac prolong wear and revlon whipped colorstay..

MemberMember
(@cinnamon-girl)

Posted : 03/19/2013 5:44 am

Don't give up on it just yet smile.png

I can give u a tip on applying ANY foundations, is to apply it with a semi WET brush, but not dripping wet ( The ones that looks like paint brush, I don't know if there's a specific name for it)

A LITTLE bit goes a long way, especially for Revlon Colorstay, it's insanely high coverage, so it tends to look unnatural if you apply a little bit too much.

And to take off make up, try using cold cream by Ponds. Just follow the instructions on it smile.png

Hi thaaaaank you for the encouragement, yes I did try to use a foundation stippling brush, its like a flat kind of paint brush. However it was a fail again, to add to it I think the mismatch color give an unappealing result to it as well however the over all feel of the foundation is really heavy for me :(

Hmmmm I forgot to mention as well how because its so hard to take out every bit of the residue of the foundation, it seems like my skin got irritated of the wiping and removing I end up developing some cystic pimples on my right cheek, which whom I am always prone of. Though I'll try to consider the Ponds cold cream, as a make up remover. :)

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 03/19/2013 5:29 pm

Don't give up on it just yet smile.png

And to take off make up, try using cold cream by Ponds. Just follow the instructions on it smile.png

Hi thaaaaank you for the encouragement, yes I did try to use a foundation stippling brush, its like a flat kind of paint brush. However it was a fail again, to add to it I think the mismatch color give an unappealing result to it as well however the over all feel of the foundation is really heavy for me sad.png

Hmmmm I forgot to mention as well how because its so hard to take out every bit of the residue of the foundation, it seems like my skin got irritated of the wiping and removing I end up developing some cystic pimples on my right cheek, which whom I am always prone of. Though I'll try to consider the Ponds cold cream, as a make up remover. smile.png

:( I'm sorry to hear that!

It was definitely hard for me to find a color match too, good thing places like Walgreens let people return and exchange unlimited of times, haha!

I exchanged at least twice to get the color that matches me the most.

I don't know how much Colorstay u r using; but for me, I would say the size of a rice grain is enough for half of my face. Just remember to use it really lightly, if you want more coverage, then go back and apply a tiny bit more, and repeat until you get the coverage that you like.

And always use PRIMER, such as Smashbox. It's the one thing that makes foundation looks nice and smooth on skin.

Nevertheless, there's many other good foundation brands that you should try. Like, Almay, Rimmel, Maybeline etc. None of them have the coverage as intense as Colorstay though from my experience.

I also read that Almay makes the best foundation for acne prone skin ( Personally, I tired and didn't like it though, the color selection runs toward the pale~light shades. Even though I am light skinned, that doesn't mean I want to look ghostly pale, haha! Coverage wise, it's much lighter than Colorstay. )

MemberMember
(@cinnamon-girl)

Posted : 03/19/2013 8:16 pm

sad.png I'm sorry to hear that!

It was definitely hard for me to find a color match too, good thing places like Walgreens let people return and exchange unlimited of times, haha!

I don't know how much Colorstay u r using; but for me, I would say the size of a rice grain is enough for half of my face. Just remember to use it really lightly, if you want more coverage, then go back and apply a tiny bit more, and repeat until you get the coverage that you like.

And always use PRIMER, such as Smashbox. It's the one thing that makes foundation looks nice and smooth on skin.

Nevertheless, there's many other good foundation brands that you should try. Like, Almay, Rimmel, Maybeline etc. None of them have the coverage as intense as Colorstay though from my experience.

I also read that Almay makes the best foundation for acne prone skin ( Personally, I tired and didn't like it though, the color selection runs toward the pale~light shades. Even though I am light skinned, that doesn't mean I want to look ghostly pale, haha! Coverage wise, it's much lighter than Colorstay. )

Yeah in someway I am aiming to use the Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation, they had good reviews about it as well how its lighter feel than Colorstay, though its still not available in our place. I am also trying to consider probably the Neutrogena Healthy Skin and your other recommendations, so thank you! Fortunate for you that you have shops such as those that allows return and exchange in unlimited times! Haha oompf.gif Yes, later did I found out about the necessity of using a Primer saywhat.gif since I am soooo new to using make up. I'll try to look for a smashbox. I am over yellow tone, probably NC25, MAC shades been a popular guide towards comparing shades and all. I'll try to update things when I get to have the Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation.

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 03/19/2013 11:40 pm

sad.png I'm sorry to hear that!

Yeah in someway I am aiming to use the Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation, they had good reviews about it as well how its lighter feel than Colorstay, though its still not available in our place. I am also trying to consider probably the Neutrogena Healthy Skin and your other recommendations, so thank you! Fortunate for you that you have shops such as those that allows return and exchange in unlimited times! Haha oompf.gif Yes, later did I found out about the necessity of using a Primer saywhat.gif since I am soooo new to using make up. I'll try to look for a smashbox. I am over yellow tone, probably NC25, MAC shades been a popular guide towards comparing shades and all. I'll try to update things when I get to have the Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation.

I think NC 25 should be "Fresh Beige" in the Revlon color range, I am NC 30 and uses "True Beige". smile.png

Healthy skin isn't a bad choice, it has salicylic acid in it and should help with breakout for a bit.

I don't know about Nearly Naked though, have you tried the "whipped" version of ColorStay yet? It's WAY better than the liquid version, much more natural looking finish.

Haha, I remember the good old time when I was freshly new to foundation too.

I used to use my finger and rub it around on my face. Luckily it didn't lead to any bigger problems

Just make sure to moisturize your skin well the night before, exfoliate in the morning if you need to, then apply primer, and then use a wet brush to slowly "paint" over your skin. Be gentle and lightly spread the foundation around.

(There should be one more step at the end where people use loose powder to "set" the foundation, but I never see the point of it so I skip it entirely. If you have oily skin then it might benefits you to use it though. But the whole foundation routine should only be involving: primer -> foundation -> *optional* loose powder)

And one thing about foundation is that it tends to look better as the time goes on, so don't worry if you think it looks a bit unnatural at first, most likely it'll blend well in your skin in like an hour or so~ But that doesn't mean you can apply a ton of it... go slow!

The key is to slowly build up the coverage rather than putting on too much right off the bat. Apply just a little bit, if the coverage isn't enough, put a little more on the areas that you want to cover. And repeat until you think it has enough coverage. smile.png

MemberMember
(@meganluvsburdies)

Posted : 03/20/2013 12:29 am

I would suggest getting a good primer to apply before putting on foundation, I've found that this helps even when using a cheaper kind of foundation. Also, I started using something called "Pore Filler" made by NYX. They sell it at most drugstores and it's around 10 bucks...it really does fill your pores! The only problem I've noticed with it is it's a bit drying, but I just use a little extra moisturizer and it works just fine :)

MemberMember
(@cinnamon-girl)

Posted : 03/20/2013 7:53 pm

I think NC 25 should be "Fresh Beige" in the Revlon color range, I am NC 30 and uses "True Beige". smile.png

Healthy skin isn't a bad choice, it has salicylic acid in it and should help with breakout for a bit.

I don't know about Nearly Naked though, have you tried the "whipped" version of ColorStay yet? It's WAY better than the liquid version, much more natural looking finish.

Haha, I remember the good old time when I was freshly new to foundation too.

I used to use my finger and rub it around on my face. Luckily it didn't lead to any bigger problems

Just make sure to moisturize your skin well the night before, exfoliate in the morning if you need to, then apply primer, and then use a wet brush to slowly "paint" over your skin. Be gentle and lightly spread the foundation around.

(There should be one more step at the end where people use loose powder to "set" the foundation, but I never see the point of it so I skip it entirely. If you have oily skin then it might benefits you to use it though. But the whole foundation routine should only be involving: primer -> foundation -> *optional* loose powder)

And one thing about foundation is that it tends to look better as the time goes on, so don't worry if you think it looks a bit unnatural at first, most likely it'll blend well in your skin in like an hour or so~ But that doesn't mean you can apply a ton of it... go slow!

The key is to slowly build up the coverage rather than putting on too much right off the bat. Apply just a little bit, if the coverage isn't enough, put a little more on the areas that you want to cover. And repeat until you think it has enough coverage. smile.png

Thanks a lot for the tips, I'll keep them in mind. I haven't tried the whipped cream version though it has good reviews too about how it is easily manageable than the Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foudation. Aaaaah thanks as well for the swatch color saywhat.gif I'll definitely try it once I get to buy so, I mean its ok to like try it, to check color match. Over my first foundation I tried it on the wrist as I don't want to put anything on my face in public places haha as well how the lighting may play a big part in a way since malls store are indoor and has this really bright white lighting which I abhor, coz it just highlight every blemishes in your face haha. Oh for the record I got the Ivory shade, and I think it has this pink grayish tone on it which doesn't suit my yellow one. I hope I'll find a foundation that will definitely suit my skin. smile.png