Notifications
Clear all

Makeup Tips For Crater/ice Pick Scarring? Help!

MemberMember
(@thisblows)

Posted : 08/15/2012 10:51 am

Does anyone have any tips for covering indented scars? I feel like sometimes the more I put on them, the more noticeable they are! I have a lot around my cheeks and chin. I know that wearing a ton of makeup is bad for me, but I just really want them gone!

Thanks

MemberMember
(@powderedpeach)

Posted : 08/16/2012 8:41 am

Wearing a silicone-based primer will fill in some of the indentations and create a smoother base for you to work on. Your scarring may look worse because it's grabbing your skin unevenly or because the finish/formula isn't ideal for your skin concerns. If the product is too slippery, it can pool in the indented areas. If it's too difficult to blend, it will also look patchy. Also anything that reflects the light may highlight the area you're trying to cover. Try to go for a buildable liquid foundation with a matte finish that doesn't look powdery on the skin. I like to apply these with a damp sponge, which keeps them from looking heavy. You can then set the foundation with a translucent loose powder using a velour puff to ensure the product doesn't move around during the day. Try to keep your cheek products matte too, and apply them very softly. If the tops of your cheekbones are scar-free, a subtle highlighter can distract the attention away from the scars...but I would steer clear of them anywhere that the skin isn't smooth. Since the scars are a texture issue, applying too much makeup will only make the scarring look more obvious, so blend well. Playing up your eyes or lips with some shimmer will also catch the light and draw people's attention away from the scarring. =)

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/16/2012 1:11 pm

The person above gave good advice. Here's a video that I found the other day, which explains how to hide scars with makeup:

Haven't tried it myself, but it might be worth trying.

Vishan and lovebug77 liked
MemberMember
(@thisblows)

Posted : 08/16/2012 6:14 pm

I cant thank yall enough!!! And yes, whenever i walk into the sunlight it highlights them so much! Im considering becoming a vampire and only leaving the house at night.

I just spent the past 30 minutes walking from room to room, checking my face in each type of lighting, trying to make sure I wont scare anyone when I go out....So pathetic

Wearing a silicone-based primer will fill in some of the indentations and create a smoother base for you to work on. Your scarring may look worse because it's grabbing your skin unevenly or because the finish/formula isn't ideal for your skin concerns. If the product is too slippery, it can pool in the indented areas. If it's too difficult to blend, it will also look patchy. Also anything that reflects the light may highlight the area you're trying to cover. Try to go for a buildable liquid foundation with a matte finish that doesn't look powdery on the skin. I like to apply these with a damp sponge, which keeps them from looking heavy. You can then set the foundation with a translucent loose powder using a velour puff to ensure the product doesn't move around during the day. Try to keep your cheek products matte too, and apply them very softly. If the tops of your cheekbones are scar-free, a subtle highlighter can distract the attention away from the scars...but I would steer clear of them anywhere that the skin isn't smooth. Since the scars are a texture issue, applying too much makeup will only make the scarring look more obvious, so blend well. Playing up your eyes or lips with some shimmer will also catch the light and draw people's attention away from the scarring. =)

Lots of great stuff here! Do you have any specific brand recommendations? Or maybe some of your favorite products?

MemberMember
(@powderedpeach)

Posted : 09/18/2012 3:34 pm

I didn't mention any products because I don't know what breaks people out, but Hourglass primer has an awesome reputation for people with oily skin. There's also one from Clarins that's really waxy but fills in any kind of texture problems well. Might be a bit oily for most people. Lancome and Smashbox are also super popular, but they make me break out. I like Cover FX Clear Prep, but it's more lightweight than the others and doesn't fill in pores quite as well.

As for matte foundations, pretty much every line makes one these days, so I would just go around and get a few samples to see which one reflects the least amount of light on your skin and matches perfectly, which not all brands will. Estee Lauder, Clinique, Lancome, Clarins, Make Up For Ever, Bobbi Brown, YSL, and pretty much all high end brands make one. If you shop at the drugstore, Maybelline Super Stay or Rimmel Lasting Finish, or Revlon Color Stay are all matte. I would shop when it's buy-one-get-one-free, so you can custom blend your own shade.

My favorite translucent powder is from Laura Mercier, and their puffs are also quite nice. It looks white, but it works on everyone. Even Oprah uses it. And for highlighters I love the one from Stila. It's a powder, but it doesn't look like one and comes in two shades. You can either mix them together or use one or the other. I really like it, but I'm fair. If you're a bit darker, you could check out the ones from Bobbi Brown or Laura Mercier. Bobbi Brown also makes great blushes.

Hope this helps! =)

I cant thank yall enough!!! And yes, whenever i walk into the sunlight it highlights them so much! Im considering becoming a vampire and only leaving the house at night.

I just spent the past 30 minutes walking from room to room, checking my face in each type of lighting, trying to make sure I wont scare anyone when I go out....So pathetic

Lots of great stuff here! Do you have any specific brand recommendations? Or maybe some of your favorite products?

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 09/30/2012 12:02 am

For my indented scars, I usually don't pack on a lot of concealer in those areas. Or put on shimmer in those areas. unfortunatley indented scars and makeup is a hit or miss =( because of lighting and if one has current acne.

MemberMember
(@jes889)

Posted : 10/13/2012 1:03 am

Try Dermasilk flawless, but if your indentions are really deep you can't just smooth it on. Take something with a small tip like a toothpick and keep applying until the indention is filled. You can use it without make up, it looks pretty good. If you use make up you can fill it in before or after. If it moves after appying make up just take the tip that you used and smooth it out. I have tried several make up products and this one is the best I tried. Special effects silicone also works well. They have a product called Dermafloge which is silicone but it is pretty expensive, I bought some silicone from fxwarehouse and it was way less expensive and worked just as well. If you do try silicone, try applying it the same way as with the Dermasilk. Hope this helps.