Notifications
Clear all

"Middle-aged" Make-up Help?

MemberMember
(@briteheart4u)

Posted : 10/13/2002 1:24 pm

Hi -- I just joined and was excited to find the Regimen last night. I'm starting today. Okay, I'm 45 (gasp!) and have had acne in varying degrees since age 12.

Could some of you share best name brand foundation (I saw concealer info - L'Oreal Feel Naturale and Physician's Formula-Green concealer) -- but could you recommend a good oil-free foundation?

Also - with "mature" skin, I want to start getting away from foundation altogether (seems to make lines more visible), but until then -- what would you suggest?

Thank you all for this wonderful forum to help. Now I don't feel so alone, y'know? Whew...! :D

MemberMember
(@bagap)

Posted : 10/15/2002 12:23 am

I can relate to your dilemna, trying to cover up acne but not maximize lines and wrinkles. At 31, I'm really concerned about how aged my face looks and attribute it to the overuse of acne meds and large pores. I remember reading as a teenager that oily skin has its rewards later in life when you wrinkle a lot less than your drier skin counterparts with perfect blemish-free skin...what a BULLS**T lie! :D

Anyhow, what I do after applying BP and moisturizing in the a.m. is dab concealer or foundation only on red marks/blemishes and then dust my face with a light coating of translucent powder. Sometimes for a little extra color to even out my skin tone, I use tinted moisturizer (Cover Girl Smoothers SPF 15 Tinted Moisture). This seems to "hide" the blemishes and minimize the lines better than anything else I've tried...hope this helps.

BAGAP

MemberMember
(@briteheart4u)

Posted : 10/15/2002 9:52 pm

Thank you for the suggestions, bagap. Does anyone else have some suggestions, too? I've been following The Regimen for 3 days now and am quite pleased with the results so far.

Any other 40+ make-up ideas out there? I bought some Almay Oil-Free foundation for "the spots" and CornSilk oil-free concealer, too. It feels good only wearing spot cover and not all that foundation and powder.

Thanks for the helpful info...

MemberMember
(@mnsdg)

Posted : 10/17/2002 11:14 am

well, i'm only 14, but my dermatologist told me that almay foundations are pretty much overall the best kind that are on the market today. if you worry about oily skin, you should check the ingredients on the back of the bottle for something called 'kaolin', it's a kind of clay that absorbs oil? i don't know specifically what foundatin the kaolin is in, but read the back and see if you find it i guess?

- mnsdg

MemberMember
(@lolobaby)

Posted : 10/17/2002 3:24 pm

I've tried a lot of different concealers over the years (I'm 26) and really like the Almay Skin Stays Clean foundation - they make great loose powder too. If you want more coverage though I would use Clinique Oil Free liquid makeup. I find it a little too concentrated and often use a spare clean bottle to mix some of the liquid with water or moisturizer to dilute it a bit. I think perhaps powder will enhance fine lines - what do you think? I don't have too many lines yet so I can't be sure.

MemberMember
(@may)

Posted : 10/18/2002 1:03 pm

Hey,

Another suggestion if you're trying to get away from foundationg altogether, is something called "studiofinish" makeup made by MAC. I've been using it for about a year. It's wonderful. It's kind of a mixture between a foundation and a powder, so it gives the coverage of foundation (but not really heavy coverage), and the absorbency and nice, finish of a powder. I love it b/c it's not really heavy. Looks very natural. I've got acne prone skin, and it hasn't caused me to break out. MAC also does some really good concealers. MAC stuff is a bit more expensive, but worth it, I think. The only bad thing about he studiofinish is if you're skin is dry, it tends to show give that "flaky" look. Good luck!

May

MemberMember
(@l-roberts)

Posted : 12/31/2002 2:05 pm

I have been using Prescriptives foundation for 7 years now. Unfortunately, I can't use the less expensive brands (Cover Girl, Revlon, Neutrogena...)I have tried them all but to no avail. Prescriptives is a wonderful foundation and make up line. They just came out with a new foundation called LUXE. It's for older skin that doesn't feel cakey or heavy, but has exceptional coverage. I wear Prescriptives Traceless foundation. It's very lightweight coverage but still covers like a regular foundation without the heavy feel. It's about $30/bottle but it will last you about 3 months. You should give this line a try, you won't be disappointed!!

Lola

MemberMember
(@lisa)

Posted : 01/01/2003 5:21 am

Hi Lola,

I am just wondering why you are recomending the LUXE foundation when you use the traceless? Do you use the LUXE also?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@zoltan)

Posted : 01/08/2003 9:41 pm

if you can get your hands on it...try ERA aerosol foundation, it is fabulous, and absolutely meets criteria on the various comedogencity/irritation lists (like zerozits.com). ERA is relatively new to consumers, though it has been used in film & tv for longer. This aerosol technique provides that "airbrushed" look that we are seeing on models & actresses lately (think Jennifer Lopez). it gives such a natural, airbrushed finish that cannot be duplicated with foundations (and i have tried them all, mineral, wet/dry, liquid, cheap to expensive). the best part about ERA is that you totally control the coverage needed, so it looks very natural and skin-like. absolutely no lines of demarcation. you use so very little product compared to liquid foundations. also, the product is sanitary everytime it touches your skin, you do not introduce new bacteria via fingertips or brushes. i have received so many compliments recently about my beautiful "skin" (not make-up). if they only knew! also, i am 42, so i was looking for that youthful skin without setting off the tiny lines...and this did it for me. hope this helps! 😉

MemberMember
(@oursfan)

Posted : 01/09/2003 9:10 pm

The foundation I am currently using is Jane Iredale. It's a loose mineral makeup that I apply with a brush or a sponge. I think it covers well and looks natural. I have heard good things about Bare Essentuals too, but I prefer the Jane Iredale. There are other mineral makeup lines out there too such as Youngblood.

MemberMember
(@sgreenta)

Posted : 06/05/2013 10:44 pm

I was using Clarins firming foundation, which made my face very shiny, but did not worsen the breakouts. I have been using bare escentuals for a week. So far my skin is less shiny and no worse. No better either.

FYI: I am also 45. I broke out for the first time with acne rosacea two years ago after 20 years of pretty good skin. It has never gone away. I started the regimen a couple of days ago. feeling hopeful after spending tons on dermatologists, finacea, metrogel, noritate, rosac wash, doxycycline, face doctor, face surgeon, prometherin, diflucan... used as directed by dermatologists without any relief. So, lets see what happens.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 06/07/2013 10:19 am

i feel like cliniques line is very good - also loreal for mature skin (thats what my mom uses) but everyone has different skin, that reacts to different things.