Notifications
Clear all

What is the best foundation for oily, acne prone skin? Cream, Liquid, or Powder

MemberMember
(@sgoofi)

Posted : 09/07/2006 11:39 pm

Hello:

I'm kind of new here, so bare with me.

But I'm an African American female with oily, moderate acne, skin. I've been trying to figure out what would be the best foundation/powder combo for me??

Currently, I've been using Physician's Formula mineral powder by itself. No foundation or concealer. But, of course, that isn't enough coverage for my acne and dark spots.

I've been considering Joppa Minerals, but I'm not sure if their coverage would be enough without foundation or concealer.

I was at the store, getting ready to buy Iman second-to-none stick foundation, but was hesistant because I've heard that cream foundation is bad for oily skin. So, I am a little unsure, but her makeup, from the ingredients I ready have jojoba, vitamin A and E, so I thought that was pretty good.

But what would be best, a foundation/powder combo or just a powder??

And what brands would you suggest?? I'm a little bit lighter than Iman herself.

MemberMember
(@imoily)

Posted : 09/08/2006 12:24 am

Well, you said powder doesnt provide the coverage you need so you DO need a foundation. And if you have large pores powder doesnt do a darn thing to conceal them either. Find one that is oil free but if you have really oily skin then it wont make much of a difference. You simply gotta buy different brands try 'em out and once you do finish with a loose powder so not to disturb your foundation. Stick foundations are thicker and can conceal little better but liquid is fine too. People will recommend brands but YOU gotta experiement bottom line.

MemberMember
(@stevie-lee)

Posted : 09/08/2006 12:41 am

ok. so here goes:

Sally Hansen Healing Beauty HB Powders

^ those are good powders. they dotn clog pores and are great for scars.

Use an oil control moisturizer under your foundation and try:

Neutrogena [Edited link out]

^ it's oil free. The powder over it will help with shine, but this foundation is good for acne prone skin.

Also, Neutrogena makes spot concealers that you put on over foundation and under powder.

When applying powder, dont use the applicator it comes with. Use a large soft brush so it doesnt cake onto your skin. On the cakeing note: if your skin gets oily throughout the day, try not to add more powder. Lightly tap an oil blotting sheet (try clean and clear) on the oily areas. (toilet seat covers work just as well)

MemberMember
(@suzyq1975)

Posted : 09/08/2006 8:35 am

I've been considering Joppa Minerals, but I'm not sure if their coverage would be enough without foundation or concealer.

I use Joppa and I find that the Full COverage coundation offers better coverage than any liquid I've tried or anything else I've used. For concealing ask for a sample of a shade or two lighter.

MemberMember
(@sgoofi)

Posted : 09/08/2006 11:53 am

Thanks for the information, ya'll.

I also have another question.

I've heard varying things about concealer color as far as whether or not it should be ligher or darker than the area you are concealing.

Which one is it??

MemberMember
(@imoily)

Posted : 09/08/2006 8:19 pm

Lighter.

MemberMember
(@suzyq1975)

Posted : 09/08/2006 8:26 pm

Thanks for the information, ya'll.

I also have another question.

I've heard varying things about concealer color as far as whether or not it should be ligher or darker than the area you are concealing.

Which one is it??

You should always choose a shade or two lighter and apply it before your foundation.

MemberMember
(@jessica-j)

Posted : 06/10/2017 3:50 pm

I've also had acne for 22 years and am looking for make-up alternatives. I've read a couple of articles with make-up for acne online. Neutrogena was included. There are lots of others out there. My challenge is finding my shade! The stores or the lines don't have darker shades. I can't find Neutrogena make-up in my shade. Frustrating! In the past I've used Bare Minerals and Tarte with the concealer. Tarte is the most natural make-up out there. I tried CoverFX full coverage and didn't like it. It made my skin oily. I generally stay away from cremes and "full coverage" cremes and sticks. Considering Clinique. Would like to know what others have tried. I do no use any type of oil on my face and would not recommend it. Oil clogs pores. There's no such thing as a "good oil." I've used Neutrogena moisturizers with SPF for years.

MemberMember
(@jimken)

Posted : 06/14/2017 3:56 am

Try Loreal Paris True Match or Infallible Total Cover Full Coverage Foundation. Both give Very Good coverage and Shine to the Skin. You Can find different Shades to match to your complexion. Enjoy!

MemberMember
(@deathtoallacne)

Posted : 10/01/2017 1:16 pm

For darker skin beauties, Black Up cosmetics offer an excellent shade range and they also cater to oily skin. Definitely take a look at their website although their products are a bit pricey.

http://www.blackupcosmetics.com/