Benzoyl peroxide al...

Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl peroxide alternative?

MemberMember
(@anxiousordinary)

Posted : 06/30/2019 8:07 pm

I have struggled with adult acne since my early 20s. I responded quite well to benzoyl peroxide (with a gentle cleanser and gentle moisturizer) and used it for about 5 years and was so happy with my skin. Ive done some research and I dont like what Im finding about how benzoyl peroxide causes free radical damage to the skin. My skin is already looking so old and aging that I dont want to continue using a product that contributes to aging. So I stopped using benzoyl peroxide and have tried a ton ofother things and NOTHING is working. I just have tons of terrible painful cysts, new ones every day. So my question is for anyoneelses skin who responded well to benzoyl peroxide- did you have any luck finding a different treatment that works for you? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/30/2019 9:06 pm

Benzoyl peroxide is an oxidant and it causes skin damage.

You probably no have fungal acne rather than ordinary acne.

Fungal acne is and other fungal problems are caused by prescription meds, usually antibiotics, but also birth control pills, prednisone and possibly accutane, and moisture.

Do the following to get rid of fungal acne

1. Buy and apply clotrimazole anti-fungal cream (no prescription required) 2-3 times a day. TOPICAL antifungal creams are TOTALLY safe.

2. Wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

3. (Excuse the capital letters) DO NOT USE ANY ORGANIC OILS OR MOISTURISERS ON THE AFFECTED AREA. ORGANIC OILS FEED MALASEZZIA FUNGUS, and all fungus loves moisture.

4. Do NOT take antibiotics unless you have a life threatening bacterial infection.

5. Do NOT exfoliate your skin or use anything harsh on it.

If you get back to me with answers to the following questions, I can provide more targeted information for your situation.

Do you have one or more of the following - white tongue, dandruff, flaking skin, toenail fungus, itchy skin, red rashes, sinus problems, gut problems, unexplained tiredness, "brain fog" or headaches.

Have you taken antibiotics or any other meds ??? If you have taken antibiotics which ones have you taken ?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

MemberMember
(@anxiousordinary)

Posted : 07/02/2019 5:51 am

I appreciate the response. That doesnt sound like my situation. I havent taken antibiotics or birth control and I dont have any of those other symptoms you mentioned. But I appreciate your time/ideas.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/02/2019 7:26 pm

Anxious

You could have demodex mites. They can cause acne. Try applying some scabies cream to your skin and see if that helps.