Extremely oily skin...

Notifications
Clear all

Extremely oily skin and moderate acne - help needed

MemberMember
(@slick10)

Posted : 05/12/2019 8:28 am

Hi - this is my first post. I could use help from people with similar symptoms and history, especially if anyone has managed to find a cure or solution.

I am 39years old and male. I have extremely oily skin. The sebum will ooze from my pores within 30 mins of washing my face. I wake up in the morning with a thick layer of oil on my face and its the oil that is causing moderate acne all over my face.

I have been this way for 20 years and it does not seem to be improving or showing any signs of stopping. It is ruining my life.

I have been on over 6 courses of roaccutane and the oil returns within 2 weeks of stopping the meds. While on Accutane I get very red and tender skin its horrible.

Ive tried vitamin D3 while helped the first time I took it for a few days but then the oil returned.

I have paid privately for multiple blood tests to analyse my male hormones and thyroid and vitamins and the results are normal. There is no reason why my skin should be this way.

I have seen multiple dermatologists and they cant give me answers and state if it hasnt stopped by now this may continue.

I get slight control over acne with topical benzoyl peroxide but this is getting hard to source since panoxyl stopped making acne gel.

I try to only wash 2/3 times a day but the fewer times I wash the more acne I get as my pores get blocked and the oil feels horrible.

I have tried everything over the years and I can not find the solution. Can anyone of similar age / symptoms please help a success story would give hope one day this may stop.

MemberMember
(@pablo1600)

Posted : 05/12/2019 5:10 pm

I know what you are saying. I've been recently on accutane which did help a bit, although my oilyness is slighty coming back but waaay less than before! I could wipe my nose and after 10 mins it would be covered in oil and my pores were always clogged! What's you're regime like? Have you tried niacimide? Do you moisturize enough? maybe you should do a low dose of accutane for a longer period? Do you have rosacea since you get red from accutane (which also happened to me). What's you diet like? I'm not an expert but Ive been in a similar situation.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/12/2019 10:21 pm

Slick and Pablo

You might both have fungal acne, not ordinary acne. Fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics, and possibly by taking accutane (plus taking birth control pills and/or prednisone).

Fungal acne is made worse by using moisturisers, so do NOT apply moisturisers or organic oils to your skin. One of the type of fungus that causes fungal acne LIVES ON ORGANIC OILS, such as those in moisturisers.

If you get back to me with answer to the following questions, I can provide information about how to control fungal acne - in brief, use topical antifungal cream/s, an antidandruff shampoo, and keep skin very dry. There are two types of fungal acne, and your answers to the questions below will allow me to provide the information on the correct antifungal to use for your particular condition.

Do you have one or more of - dandruff, flaking skin, a white tongue, an itchy or painful red rash, cracking around your lips plus the acne like symptoms.

Doctors/dermatologists know nothing about fungal acne, and they are in denial that or exists in otherwise healthy people (possibly because they cause it, by continuing to prescribe antibiotics).