Notifications
Clear all

Battling adult acne

MemberMember
(@citrine7)

Posted : 07/19/2017 6:00 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and am hoping to get some good advice or to at least know I'm not alone.
I'm a 33 year old female and have been battling acne since 16, I've mostly had it under control with proactiv but as I've gotten older it seems less effective and more harsh. I went through a bad breakout trying to go off of it and it's been 7 months back on it and I'm still breaking out. I cleaned my diet of sugar, dairy, wheat, gluten, and soy. I have green smoothies and healthy proteins and fats every day for at least 5 months.
my skin is always red and irritated, I have lots of hyperpigmentation and some pitted acne scars. Certain areas are prone to eczema now too so I've stopped wearing makeup.
I seem to heal much slower and everything new I try seems to make it worse, I recently tried niacinimide and zinc topical and now have 4 or 5 new spots.
This had caused so much stress in your life and relationships I had to go on Xanax and see a counselor.
i keep hoping for a miracle, so I'm just looking for anything helpful. Thanks for hearing my story!

MemberMember
(@alliloz)

Posted : 07/21/2017 1:47 pm

Sorry to hear about all the struggles you've had with acne. I found Proactive a little harsh as well, it really dried out my skin. The no makeup thing is really tough as well but with trial and error I was able to find some stuff that didn't cause me any issues.  just keep trying new things and I'm sure you will find the right combination that works for you :)