Can I ever have cle...

Notifications
Clear all

Can I ever have clear skin?

MemberMember
(@ihateacneyes)

Posted : 03/08/2016 11:52 am

I've always had pretty oily skin. I have been suffering from acne since I was 14. It's usually pretty mild but I get so jealous when I see people with baby soft skin. They don't need makeup and they eat whatever they want.

I suffer from hormonal acne so I cut out all wheat and dairy products. I'm trying to wean myself off alcohol and processed foods. My diet plays a huge part in my skin. I drink a lot of water, take spirulina manna, peppermint capsules, fermented cod liver oil/butter oil, and a multivitamin. I exercise 6 days a week as well. Doing all these things together has cut down the amount of red pimples drastically. I still get one or two now and then but I have been using a hot compress on them to draw them to a head.

For topical treatments, I wash with Cetaphil and African black soap when I have to wash off makeup. I use a mixture of half apple cider vinegar and water as a toner after I cleanse. I cleanse twice a day. I have very sensitive Asian skin so I can't use benzoyl peroxide and salyclic acid doesn't do much for me. For spot treatment I use Acnomel for adults with a sulphur and recorcinol mix. It has helped me the most.

I also got off the Mirena IUD about 3 months ago. I broke out pretty bad for the first month but now it has subsided. Before the Mirena, the left side of my jaw was completely clear and smooth. After getting it I started getting these little skin colored bumps on that side of my face. It's still there.

I still have a lot of clogged pores/comedones and scars all over my face from years of acne. I started Retin A not too long ago and out of desperation asked for an antibiotic. I have always tried to avoid those even during the worst of times but Im so sick of my acne. I have wanted smooth skin for the longest time and it seems like Im never going to get it. Im trying to avoid birth control pills because I dont want my body to be dependent on it. I hear of women breaking out and losing their hair after getting off the pill from years of use.

Any advice?

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 03/16/2016 11:56 am

Hey there!

Maybe you should try an another way of birth control. Mirena contains levonorgestrel, which is not a very good progesterone if you have acne prone skin or PCOS. I would suggest you to try a birth control such as Yaz, Yasmin or Dianette, which have anti-androgenic properties. I think Yasmin is the best of the three, since it contains the best progesterone and have more estrogen compared to Yaz (that helps to regulate the testosterone on your body). As for the hair and being dependent on it, your body already are using Mirena, so I don't see any problem about that -- but, anyway, you should see a doctor before taking a decision.

As for the food thing, I also tried everything you could imagine for almost 2 years and nothing did the trick. I cut out meat, dairy, wheat and only eat organic and whole foods but, still, got huge, cystic pimples. Only when I started trying to regulate my hormones, is that my acne slowly go away.

Jazzguy liked
MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 04/13/2016 9:50 am

Hi. I feel you! I've had acne for 20 years. Would you consider Spiro or birth control? Its the best way unfortunately for lots of us.
I also took sprearmint capsules but found the tea works better, two cups or more. It gets old though...im also taking evening primrose oil and fish oil and krill oil.Topically I really like SIBU products they have linoleic acid and while haven cured my skin, has never broke me out or clogged my pores.