Treating Acne While...

Notifications
Clear all

Treating Acne While Pregnant

MemberMember
(@somedayistoday)

Posted : 11/18/2014 9:46 am

Sorry if this is a double post.

Anyway, I am currently treating acne with birth control, atralin, and aczone.....which are obviously not safe to use while pregnant. I'm not pregnant but its in my plans for sometime within the next few years. I'm realizing that acne is a chronic condition for me so I know I will need a treatment plan in place or my skin will flare up. I have a dermatologist appointment in a few weeks but I'd like to gather people's thoughts and suggestions so I can ask the right questions. My naturopath mentioned azeialic acid and niacinimide topical as safe alternatives. What has worked for you? And how should I switch over? Thanks in advance.

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 11/18/2014 10:33 am

A lot of times acne will just go away with pregnancy like it did for me. Tea tree soap works well and is safe. Sulphur soap and sulphur based acne treatments like Clearasil's sulphur spot treatment are ok. Homeopathy is safe. There are a lot of homeopathic remedies for acne but it's best to go to a homeopathic doctor because you'll have a lot more misses than hits if you don't really know what you are doing. I treated every problem and pain I had with homeopathy when I was pregnant just to be safe.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 11/20/2014 6:27 pm

My skin was pretty darn good when I was pg

I did ask my ogbyn if using 2.5% BP was ok and was told w/ out a doubt it was fine

I used it with both my kids and they are very healthy!

Some people have luck with finacea which can be used during pg also

GL

kim

MemberMember
(@somedayistoday)

Posted : 11/20/2014 7:04 pm

Good to know there are plenty of options out there. I stopped taking birth control for the first time in over a decade and my acne got pretty bad. My acne is definitely hormonal, topicals help but not without addressing internal issues as well. I would hate for it to get bad again if I ever got pregnant, but I guess it could go either way. I'm somewhat relieved that I'm not necessarily doomed to have bad acne, thanks guys!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 11/20/2014 8:28 pm

I forgot I wanted to add tea tree oil is great!
some people, depending on how tough your skin is, put a drop or 2 in their moisturizer or I like ot use a q-tip and dab on spots

My skin also likes sulfur...sulfur as spot treating i think ..think might be safe too ;)

GL

kim