Notifications
Clear all

Depression And Acne

MemberMember
(@dnguy90)

Posted : 05/28/2013 1:57 am

I really don't know who else to turn to at this point, I usually don't go to forums but I feel like I need to seek out people with similar situation like mine. Sorry for the run on sentence. I've been dealing with a lot of depression and anxiety due to my acne. Throughout high school and my sophmore year of college I had FLAWLESS skin, yes I would get the occassional spot but nothing bad. Now, it has gotten worse, I have seen a dermatologist and he prescribed me Ziania along with doxscycline and birth control; I got prescribed these back in february. It took almost a month to two months for my acne to be in somewhat control, I still sometimes get the occassional pimple or so. As far as scarring I don't have it I usually have post hyperpigmentation I have two or three scars that are very unnoticeable unless somewhat stands an inch from my face. Still, I am extremely depressed, and I fixiate on my flaws constantly even when I put on makeup it's a somewhat mini anxiety attack. If it's morning, I can't turn the light on at times because my flaws would be more visible. And the only thing that really bothers me are the hyperpigmentation and the three scars I have. I always knew I had them, but lately I've been really anxious and nervous around me I tend to think I'm not good enough at anything. Keep in mind, I used to completely flawless skin, and now I have to deal with this. Not only do I feel ugly all the time, but when I fixiate on those flaws and stare at the mirror, I get depressed and angry at myself mostly because of why my skin is like this. I start thinking it's my fault. And because I fixate on my flaws, zoom in the mirror and stare at every detail I start thinking that NO one is ever going to love me or anything. I've had two boyfriends in my life, I'm 22 now. Almost everyone I knew in my life would compliment me on my skin and how I was so pretty and I had the whole package now I'm this. When I get too close to a guy I'm nervous, anxious and then I tend to run away because I think they're going to pay attention to my acne, three scars and bad skin and focus on the details like I do to myself. I never think I'm pretty, and I haven't felt that way in a very long time. I constantly google pictures of acne scars and compare to mine and on top of that I google any treatments/surgeries to get rid of them. I know that my scars are microscopic and you can barely see them at all, but I wish I had my old skin back. I constantly go out with friends to mask my insecurity and depression. I understand that no one focuses on every detail on anyone's faces, but in my head I feel like when someone is talking to me they're going to focus on my skin and ridicule me inside their head. I also think my biggest fear is that one day I'm going to wake up next to my significant other without any makeup and when he sees my face upclose and sees the small scars, acne, bad skin he's going to be disgusted and leave me. Please don't give me any harsh comments, because honestly that's the last thing I need. I really want support and none of my friends are really helping me; I usually don't talk about my problems because I don't want to bother them. In all honesty, I never thought in a million years that acne would ever happen to me. I truly feel that even when my acne fades, I'm still going to feel this way. I don't want to feel this for the rest of my life, I don't want to be scared of getting close/intimate with a guy and that he's going to leave me because I have these imperfections on my face. Before all of this happened, I was an extremely happy person, I loved being around people and I was planning to go to law school. Now not only have I lacked in confidence, but I lost interest in my goals in life. Also, I used to dress up in nice clothes now I don't even do that anymore; I just dress up in sweats all the time because I always feel depressed and not pretty all the time.

MemberMember
(@hayleylou)

Posted : 05/28/2013 2:57 am

I know exactly how you feel. I am going through exactly the same thing as you.! My acne was severe and it's now under control but unfortunately I have been left with hundreds of scars and marks all over my face... Both indented and keloid. You really should consider yourself lucky to only have 3.! However let me tell you this if you ever wake up next to a guy and he's discusted by 3 scars from a condition thats out of your control then you should be throwing him out of the door not worrying if he'll walk.!!!! The way I'm dealing with it is to concentrate in the future.. Being pro active in finding treatments that will save my skin and one hopefully get it to a point when I can go without make up or even go swimming.! That's what I focus on. I've totally dismissed finding a partner because I am way too insecure at the moment to get close to anyone however if it happens it happens and I know he will love me for me.

MemberMember
(@grace103)

Posted : 05/28/2013 3:14 am

Your story sounds pretty much exactly the same as mine, I can definitely relate! About 6 months ago I had the most beautiful skin of my life and I hardly even had a skin care routine, I can definitely say I would never have thought twice about about going out in public without makeup on or even what anyone thought about me at all. But in the past few months I MASSIVELY broken out, and I mean huge cystic acne on my forehead, chin and jawline. I once had a cyst the size of a 20c coin literally in the centre of my forehead. I went on doxycyline and birth control less than 4 months ago and it slightly improved my skin but I just went absolutely crazy on it, anxiety attacks, depression, mood swings, headaches and fatigue, the lot really. Have you ever considered that it may be the medication that you're on that may be exacerbating the mental side of things? I know people tell you 100000000 times that no one cares and no one even notices it but it's all inside your head and it seems like the only thing that matters is how you view yourself, which is true to some extent. Acne becomes an obsession aswell, you constantly look in the mirror and can only see imperfections rather than improvements and are constantly comparing yourself to others skin. All I can say is that it does get easier when you don't let it take over your life. Stop looking in the mirror and you will feel a lot better about it, I swear :) Please don't let it get in the way of your life, you have to take control! I know this probably doesn't mean anything but I'm sure you will get through this!

MemberMember
(@sidearmsalpha)

Posted : 06/20/2013 12:04 am

No offense, but you have to keep in mind that there are a lot of people out there that suffer from more severe cases of acne, myself included. I have cystic acne on my chest and back that has left me with some keloid scars. As you can imagine, this has brought down my self-esteem big time. While I was fortunate enough to be with a couple of understanding women in the last 15 years, I'm worried that my next love interest might not be so understanding. I'm currently on Accutane, so I have the condition under control, but I fear that it might return after my treatment is over. All I have to say is that your condition is not bad and always remember that it could be a lot worse. None of my ex-gfs had an acne problem, but I would rather be with a girl who had a bout with acne before is going through it so we could both relate.