Notifications
Clear all

Whats The Cause?

MemberMember
(@andyengland)

Posted : 04/10/2013 2:25 pm

I'm turning 30 this year and after another breakout I thought I would turn to the forums for help. Over the years I've tried various regimes and made a few observations...

My Acne - I've had acne on my face since I was 14/15, I did nothing about it in the early years and just lived with it. As I got older and went to uni I become more and more aware of my looks. I used to skip lectures some days and hide in my room as it was so bad. For a couple of years I also got it on my back and shoulders but its since gone. After uni and various topical and oral drugs I went onto Accutane. It worked really well for me and despite a break out 3 months after it really reduced my acne for a couple of years. The problem is over the last 8 years its slowly got worse again and im almost back to where I was. The worst areas at the moment are my jawline, the crease between my chin and mouth and around my mouth.

My Body - I'm a fit and healthy person (although a little skinny) and recently ran a marathon but there are a few things ive noticed about my body that may contribute to acne. Firstly I have a very high metabolism, I eat fast, poo 2/3 times a day and never put on weight despite eating rather a lot compared to my friends. Secondly I have a fast paced life, I walk fast, do things quickly and never like to chill. This contributes to me being sweaty at times and very sweaty in hot weather, I often find my feet, groin, bum, arm pits and back are moist. This sometimes causes various skin conditions around my body, I get eczema on my feet and sweat rash on my groin area both of which are easily manageable, but does it cause my acne and how do I stop it?

My Family History - My Dad had acne as a teenager and my brother (28) has light acne on his face and severe acne on his back/shoulders/chest. Its obvious acne runs in my family but why and can it be fixed? My brother is also a bit sweaty and has oily skin.

What Ive tried - Creams, oral medicines, Accutane, Vitamin B5, Zinc, Vitamin C, Tea Tree none with much success. The only thing that seems to reduce my acne is sunshine.

Current Regime - Currently I wake up, prick any severe whiteheads with a pin (I don't squeeze), shower and wash gently with Clearasil for Sensitive skin, towel dry, moisturize with Clean & Clean Oil Free Daily with a drop of tea tree oil. Once dried I use a Witch Blemish Stick to cover any large red spots. I run a business and hated going to meetings covered in acne, the blemish covers gives me a little confidence back but it can only do so much. I repeat the same at night but without the blemish cover. I take a multi vitamin in the morning with a Zinc then another zinc at night.

What Next? - So with all the above info what do I do next? One option im considering is a Food Intolerance test with Yorktest which costs 300 but is it worth it? What is the family link? Is it because I sweat so much? Is it because my metabolism is so fast my body cant deal with the food?

Any advice anyone can offer?

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 04/10/2013 2:47 pm

It's all down to genes sadly. Eventually, with some people, sebacious glands will regrow after accutane. If your acne responds to sunshine though you might want to try blue light or alternatively do another round of accutane.

Diet won't do anything if you have genetic acne in my opinion.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 04/10/2013 3:15 pm

Try the regimen. If your current zinc is not working use a different one. Also start juicing vegetables

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 04/10/2013 4:40 pm

You might want to look into spiro or saw palmetto. Oily skin is do to over active androgen glands.

Search the forums for spiro or saw palmetto and you'll find lots of useful information.

Good luck :)

MemberMember
(@andyengland)

Posted : 04/11/2013 8:54 am

Thanks for the replies.

After reading up I went to my local health shop today and bought Saw Palmetto and some Jojoba oil. Worth a try but ive tried so many things now i dont hold out much hope.

......Woops i think i have bought the wrong type. The one i bought has 450mg and say to take 2 x 2 capsuls a day (Saw Palmetto Capsules (450mg)). Upon further reading on the forums it says i need this one...Saw Palmetto standardised extract capsules (320mg)

Any ideas?

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 04/11/2013 9:00 pm

Thanks for the replies.

After reading up I went to my local health shop today and bought Saw Palmetto and some Jojoba oil. Worth a try but ive tried so many things now i dont hold out much hope.

......Woops i think i have bought the wrong type. The one i bought has 450mg and say to take 2 x 2 capsuls a day (Saw Palmetto Capsules (450mg)). Upon further reading on the forums it says i need this one...Saw Palmetto standardised extract capsules (320mg)

Any ideas?

Yes, you need the 160mg standardized extract saw palmetto. It should say standardized on the bottle. Take one in the morning and one at night. It works best that way. It has to be standardized or it will not work. You should only be taking 320mg of saw palmetto a day to help with oily skin.