Advice Please Pleas...

Notifications
Clear all

Advice Please Please Help Me:(

MemberMember
(@looking2thefuture)

Posted : 02/14/2013 4:58 pm

Hi there my names Rob im 27 years of age from the united kingdom have suffered from mild to moderate acne now for 9 years.I posted earlier in the emotinal pyscological forum so i wont go into the horrible mental effect im expierencing. Im at my wits end at the moment suffering from breakout after breakout getting stressed picking my face,popping new pimples everyday now it seems (yes I know i must stop it!). I would describe my acne currently as moderate as in its mostly on my lower left and right cheeks with a few pimples migrated towards the top right. My forehead is quite clear my chin is totally clear and also my temples are clear. I have lots of red marks on my cheek I use some male make up to help conceal these marks. My skin is what you would describe as white "celtic". Im deciding trying to rationalize what I can do to help me. These are some of the things ive tried/trying below.

Medications used in the past

Entryorcin

Minoclycline (both worked for around six months but then stopped)

Topicals used

Duac (worked quite well the first time)

Differin cream (Made my skin horrible and nasty)

Currently using a SA wash and SA treatment in the morning alongside a mositerizer from the expensive Danne Montague King Range.With a retin A cream every other night have been on this regimine for 7 weeks now and acne seems to go then come back in similar areas now am I expereincing a purging phase with this and should I stick it out another month?. I am thinking of abandoning this treatment as it is expensive to carry on ie 140 pounds per round of treatment. I am prescribed duac gel now would i be able to use this in a similiar way to the Dans regimine? So at least then I dont have to fork out lots more money as I can use the mostriser in the set as its designed for acne prone skin?. Im also on the books of a acne spealcalist who has told me to cut out foods high in copper,suger and foods which are acidic. She has also told me to conduct a series of liver flushes (i am going to undertake my second flush tonight) I carnt be sure if this will help but im willing to try anything at the moment. Im taking about 70 mg of zinc spread out with food and ammino acids. Would there be any other vitamins that you think I could add?.

I would be so appreciate of any type of feedback I have huge self esteem issues so Im afriad ill have to post a picture similar to how my acne looks right now Thanks you beautiful people:)

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/14/2013 7:06 pm

Hi, don't be embarrased to post. Many people on this site have acne worse than your or even much better than yours. Also, most people here DO NOT JUDGE.

You sound like a man with a plan. Why don't you stick to what you are doing for 3 months before adding or changing anything. When too many variables are going on, it is hard to determine what may or may not be working.

Keep up the good fight and you might find it beneficial to keep a log on here

Keep your head up man.

MemberMember
(@monkeybeanmagic)

Posted : 02/14/2013 10:14 pm

I would go on low dose accutane. Should clear you right up with minimal side effects. Nothing else is nearly as effective as you've discovered already with your extensive treatment history.

MemberMember
(@looking2thefuture)

Posted : 02/15/2013 5:10 pm

Thanks guys im going stick with my current regimine for another 5 weeks to make it 12 weeks then ill do a proper review then ive also been prescibed a drug for the acne called Trimethoprim ive tried all the clcyclines and my doc said that they would unlikely refer me for accutane as my acne is not cystic im semi happy with that as tbh i dont like the look of the sideeffects and it could also deepen my depression especially with the intial breakout.

I would go on low dose accutane. Should clear you right up with minimal side effects. Nothing else is nearly as effective as you've discovered already with your extensive treatment history.

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 02/15/2013 5:44 pm

Go straight to a private dermatologist and ask for roaccutane. You won't regret it.

Nhs acne treatment is dismal. Not worth the paper the scripts are written on.

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/15/2013 7:28 pm

Go straight to a private dermatologist and ask for roaccutane. You won't regret it.

My derm is happy to prescribe roaccutane for ''3 or 4 pustules''.

No it isn't. I have had a great service from the NHS, as have many others. And personally I prefer the 7.60 bill to the thousands I would have to spend for a private dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@looking2thefuture)

Posted : 02/16/2013 9:03 am

Thanks for accutane advice however i doubt id be able to go on it due to my expereinces of depression etc id prefer to really stick to my regimine will introducing this antibiotic for a while and striving hard to maintain my diet maybe 2 monuths down the line im going reconsider. I mean in terms of yourselves what has worked well aside from accutane?.

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 02/16/2013 9:11 am

My derm is happy to prescribe roaccutane for ''3 or 4 pustules''.

No it isn't. I have had a great service from the NHS, as have many others. And personally I prefer the 7.60 bill to the thousands I would have to spend for a private dermatologist.

Ok, good for you.

I suggested going private as the poster already mentioned he was unlikely to get a referal on the NHS. A private derm isn't restricted by the same financial constraints as the NHS, so may well be able to help.

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/17/2013 7:23 pm

The end treatment is the same, so has nothing to do with financial restraints. The advantage of a private dermatologist is quicker waiting times & a more personal service.

Thanks for accutane advice however i doubt id be able to go on it due to my expereinces of depression etc id prefer to really stick to my regimine will introducing this antibiotic for a while and striving hard to maintain my diet maybe 2 monuths down the line im going reconsider. I mean in terms of yourselves what has worked well aside from accutane?.

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 02/18/2013 3:32 pm

No Roruis the end treatments are not the same and it does indeed have everything to do with financial limitations. For example an NHS dermatologist is unlikely to prescribe a low dose course of Roaccutane as it's an off label use, and the NHS can not afford to do this. By comparison, not limited by the cost, private dermatologists are more likely to prescribe low dose Roaccutane.

The same rationale could apply to a number of acne treatments, including Photodynamic therapy and chemical peels etc...

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/18/2013 3:56 pm

No Roruis the end treatments are not the same and it does indeed have everything to do with financial limitations. For example an NHS dermatologist is unlikely to prescribe a low dose course of Roaccutane as it's an off label use, and the NHS can not afford to do this. By comparison, not limited by the cost, private dermatologists are more likely to prescribe low dose Roaccutane.

The same rationale could apply to a number of acne treatments, including Photodynamic therapy and chemical peels etc...

I'm not sure how Acne is an off-label use for Isotretinoin.

It isn't that expensive, especially as it is generally preventative, eg. It's cheaper to have one course of Isotret than years of different antibiotics & products, and lots of doctor's visits. Most but not all antibiotics are cheap.

I was prescribed Isotretinoin in this fashion from an NHS derm- years of mild-moderate persistent acne, not tamed by first-line treatment.

Also the financial strain that it's cost puts on the NHS- even when it was still under patent- is a drop in the ocean when compared to the total cost of obesity treatments, new cancer research & treatments, and doctor's wages etc. Not to mention the general resource inefficiency we hear about on the news all the time.

You are right in that the NHS is unlikely to fund alternative, non-drug acne treatments. But aside from that, why spend so much money when you don't have to?

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 02/18/2013 4:15 pm

Hehe I see we aren't going to see eye to eye on this.

Happy to be corrected but yes I do believe low dose Roaccutane is an off label use, as Roche / FDA only approved it for nodular cystic acne at 0.5mg kg - 1.0mg kg courses. ( http://www.skintherapyletter.com/toolbox/ad/accutane/indications.html ). As such this option isn't usually available on the NHS, atleast that is what my derm told me.

Anyway we both agree atleast that Roaccutane is the most effective treatment...if you can get it on NHS then great, consider yourself very fortunate. But for those that can't, don't give up hope as it may be available to you privately.