Do Red Marks Take L...

Notifications
Clear all

Do Red Marks Take Longer To Fade The Older You Get?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/22/2013 10:02 pm

I had lot of acne when i was younger and my red marks were bad. This was at 20-22. My acne cleared up the next few year and now at 26, i broke out. Worst is the red/brown marks as a result of it and it doesn't seem to fade it all.

The glycolic acid cream i used back then use to work but now it doesn't work anymore. I'm thinking the older you get... the tougher it is for your skin to heal due to age?

MemberMember
(@dqn217)

Posted : 01/22/2013 11:13 pm

I read somewhere online that your skin starts renewing itself slower as you age. The renewal cycle where skin sloughs off and is replaced by new skin underneath takes about 20 days for teens. Young adults similar I think it said 24-28 days is average tho. So that in turn will lead to slower healing of the hyperpigmentation.

In regards to the hyperpigmentation, I also had a random HORRIBLE breakout recently after being clear, and now Im somewhat recovered from the breakout but have a TON of hyperpigmentation. What products did you use to fade your marks and did they cause breakouts? How long did it take for you to recover and fade the marks completely?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/23/2013 2:24 am

Yes. If the marks are slightly brown you will need hydro quinone in addition to the glycolic

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 01/23/2013 4:44 am

I'm now 23 & I notice the red marks do take a lot longer to fade than when I was 16-18.