Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Again?

MemberMember
(@erb27)

Posted : 01/17/2013 11:53 pm

Hey everyone!

I've had cystic acne for the past ~10 years or so (I am almost 24 years old now). I've been on accutane 2.5 times (2 full courses and 1 half course), and while my acne is nowhere near as bad as it was when I was younger, I still have 1-2 cysts just about every week. I've been on Bactrim DS for about 2 years now, accompanied with Tazorac gel at night. It's been able to keep it somewhat in check, but I think I am becoming immune to the drug due to the constant cysts within the past ~6 months. Once the breakouts started kicking up we tried Cefadroxil which did not have any effect.

I have visited with a few derms and each of them suggested accutane for a 4th time. The last time I was on accutane was when I was 16, so it's been about a 7 year gap since last taking it. They're saying that it could have a different affect now that I'm beyond my hormonal stages of growing and such. Does anyone have experience with taking accutane in the past and then going on it with any success 5+ years afterwards? The other option I was told was to try Minocycline once again (I tried it as one of the first antibiotics I ever went on ~10 years ago). Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for reading!

--E

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 01/18/2013 12:55 am

Hey everyone!

I've had cystic acne for the past ~10 years or so (I am almost 24 years old now). I've been on accutane 2.5 times (2 full courses and 1 half course), and while my acne is nowhere near as bad as it was when I was younger, I still have 1-2 cysts just about every week. I've been on Bactrim DS for about 2 years now, accompanied with Tazorac gel at night. It's been able to keep it somewhat in check, but I think I am becoming immune to the drug due to the constant cysts within the past ~6 months. Once the breakouts started kicking up we tried Cefadroxil which did not have any effect.

I have visited with a few derms and each of them suggested accutane for a 4th time. The last time I was on accutane was when I was 16, so it's been about a 7 year gap since last taking it. They're saying that it could have a different affect now that I'm beyond my hormonal stages of growing and such. Does anyone have experience with taking accutane in the past and then going on it with any success 5+ years afterwards? The other option I was told was to try Minocycline once again (I tried it as one of the first antibiotics I ever went on ~10 years ago). Any thoughts?

--E

I think prevention is better than cure,fortunately I found my prevention quite by accident some 30 years ago after suffering for 10 years from the age of 15 to 25,although for the last 30 years I have still get caught out every couple of years and it worries me that you are continually suffering at 24,

I never had "common acne" like you,apart from the one big spot the rest of my face was reasonably healthy looking,I don't know how to post pics on here,but if you look under adult acne "phew fast disappearing for xmas"you will see 3 pics,one of a spot where I have extracted the pus,one of a extreme spot and one of a typical spot,with the pus buried deep down,I have always squeezed mine,having to insert a pin 0.5cm inside,(I don't recommend this to you)the trick is finding the right pore,then extracting every 4 to 5 hours for a few days until the seed flies out,(and yes ,it heals completely)only once have I had a solid seed come out and that was after squeezing daily for about a month.

So maybe you have the same condition as me which can be prevented and my 21 year old daughter,that causes the formation of these deep seeds,

I am just so glad that my daughter won't have to suffer for the rest of her life

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/18/2013 1:31 am

Hey everyone!

--E

the reason you probably still have acne is because of mino

How long were u on it for?

MemberMember
(@erb27)

Posted : 01/18/2013 8:08 pm

the reason you probably still have acne is because of mino

How long were u on it for?

Hm, why do you say that Mino is the reason I still have acne? I was on it for the recommended 8+ weeks or whatever it was while I was 13/14 years old. My acne was severely cystic and Mino didn't have an ounce of an effect on it unfortunately...