Labret Piercings An...

Notifications
Clear all

Labret Piercings And Acne?

MemberMember
(@yellowlizard)

Posted : 11/15/2012 11:58 am

Hi!

I'm a 33-year-old female, and benzoyl peroxide works like a charm on my moderate acne. Does anyone know if there is a connection between facial piercings and acne? A Google search did not give me any leads. I have had a labret piercing since I was 21, and almost all of my acne since my mid twenties or so has been concentrated near my labret piercing (my chin and around my mouth). Maybe that's just a coincidence? Is it normal for adults to get acne almost exclusively below their nose and mouth? I know, I should simply take out my piercing, not use benzoyl peroxide, and see what happens. I just like my piercing too much to unnecessarily let it go, though. smile.png

Thanks in advance for any wisdom based on personal experience or the experience of people you know.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 11/17/2012 9:04 pm

Irritation can certainly exacerbate acne but yes, it is also common for women to see breakouts around the lower jaw/chin area due to hormones. Maybe a combination of both, but if it centers around your piercing and you didn't have acne issues until then, might be worth taking out to see if it will clear.

MemberMember
(@lady_c)

Posted : 11/18/2012 8:48 am

I'm 27 and I've had a monroe piercing since I was 18. I don't recall it having an impact on my acne. I don't really get acne around my mouth region. However, as the previous poster has quite rightly stated, hormone acne is usally around the chin/jaw, so just be mindful of that. I don't want to sound patronising here, but are you cleaning your piercing correctly? it might be a build up of bacteria that is causing your acne. You could always try taking your piercing out, just for a short period of time to see if things improve. Another thing, do you suffer from any allergies? some piercing contain nickel, which can cause skin irritation.