Acne Came Back Afte...

Notifications
Clear all

Acne Came Back After More Than 10 Years - Stupid Doctor Put Me On Pill That Has Acne As Side Effect!

MemberMember
(@madgirl12)

Posted : 10/15/2012 2:03 pm

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 34 years old, from Scotland.

I'd been acne free for as long as I can remember - at least 10 years. Before that I'd had acne since I was 12, so you might say I'm prone to it. One doctor said I was just unlucky. I've been on pretty much every acne treatment there is, including two courses of ruaccutane. Once that was over, and to help keep it at bay, I was put on Dianette, and then after a couple of years my gp said it wasn't safe to be on that so changed it to another pill. And although I got the odd spot, it was nothing compared to what I'd had before.

Anyway, my doctor changed my pill about 6 months ago, as the one I'd been on (Microgynon) had been making me sick every month which was affecting my work and life in general. He put me on a progestorone only pill Cerazette. Big mistake sad.png

At the time it didn't even occur to me to say "Oh btw, I'm only on the pill because I'm prone to acne" I assumed it was in my notes and he'd realise that. I didn't think anything of it, just that it was awful feeling headachy, shakey and sick every month. But I've only ever been on the pill because of the acne, I don't have a boyfriend (some hope) and aside from Ruaccutane it's the only thing that's ever really helped.

A couple of months later my skin started to flare up badly. sad.png I checked online and to my horror read that this type of pill can have acne as a side effect. It is awful, I'd forgotten how painful, itchy, ugly and embarrassing it is. All over my cheeks, chin, jawline and neck especially. I feel revolting again. I went on holiday last month on a group tour and it was so embarrassing meeting people and thinking that all they'd notice was my spots sad.png It didn't spoil my holiday but I kept thinking that they'd all remember me as "the spotty girl". My confidence has really taken a knock.

When I got home the first thing I did was make a doctor's appointment. It was the same GP who put me on the stupid acne-causing pill and he's changed my pill back to a combi one, Marvelon. I did ask if he could just take me off the pill and put me on antibiotics or something but he said the pill would work quicker than any antibiotic would. But that it might not help at all, or it might get worse. Wonderful!

So, I've been on this pill nearly a month now. I've not noticed much of a difference yet, spots are still there and still painful, ripe and red. Not sure how long I should wait to see if anything much happens. I just want rid of the damn things. I really thought I'd put this period of my life behind me sad.png

So, I reckon I'll give it another month or so and then go back to the doctor. Treatments that you buy in chemists have never worked for me. Someone said I should try Proactive but I'm wary of spending money on things that might not work. At least I can try and hide it a bit with makeup but it's still awful. I did buy some Bare Essentials Blemish Therapy, which contains sulphur but I'm not sure if it's helping. Maybe I've not used it long enough to see any results.

Anyway, just wanted to vent! And it's good to know I'm not alone, although I feel like it here as nobody else I know has such bad skin! Anyone else in their 30s and had acne reoccur after a long period of blissful spot-freeness?

MemberMember
(@xxmarkesiaxx)

Posted : 10/15/2012 2:13 pm

Oh yes, there are many of us, people in their 30s, with acne. I took roaccutane when I was 19, it cleared me perfecly in a month or so and since then and up to my 28 years, my skin was absolutely flawless. Late 2010, after a stressful event, I started having periods of acne again... Not extremely bad BUT now the pimples scar! And this is the worst! I am about to start a second course mid November and I am scared... During that time I am using benzacline, which seems to keep the zits in control...

MemberMember
(@jinx342)

Posted : 10/18/2012 3:58 pm

Actually the worst acne I ever had began in my early thirties and all related to hormones and stress hormones. Very hard to treat. I remember being on a date and feeling pimples coming on(that burning feeling)-- so embarrassing and un-liberating!

For me it was the combination of BCP's and stress that made my skin go crazy. And had to go back to my Dr.several times before I found the right hormone combination that worked. We also did blood work to see where my hormone levels were during the month (enlightening). I also still use Epiduo as now in my mid forties I get the fabulous peri meno acne.

MemberMember
(@madgirl12)

Posted : 10/21/2012 3:08 pm

I've never heard of peri meno acne, but it doesn't sound nice! Not heard of Epidue either, will have to google.

I got my period this weekend and got the familiar horrible ill feeling that I'd had before when I've been on the combi pill. I took painkillers and it wasn't as bad as it's been in the past but I still felt headachey and crap. I've only been back on this pill one month but I think I'll just not bother taking it again and go back to my doctor and see if there's anything else they can give me. I am easily stressed too, very anxious and I imagine that plays a part.