Almost Gave Up Unti...

Notifications
Clear all

Almost Gave Up Until.....

MemberMember
(@rlsid21)

Posted : 09/28/2012 4:01 pm

I have struggled with acne since I was a pre-teen with the acne gene passed down from my mother while my father had exceptionally clear skin....of course I get the horrific acne. Like many people have tried everything under the sun to try to get at least some control of my acne. I started out with blackheads, whiteheads, and the hormonal acne breakouts anywhere on my face and back.

The following products are what I have tried in the past:

-Clean and Clear Products

-Neutrogena

-Cetaphil

-Murad

-St. Ives

-Noxzema

-Biore

-Acne Free

-Proactiv Solution

The only thing that actually worked in the beginning was Proactiv Solution at the 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide for about 2-3 years than I had to up grade to the Extra Strength 7% Benzoyl Peroxide Proactiv Solution. I started to get the horrible cystic acne on my cheeks that would not go away. Headed to my dermatologist to get painful cortisone injections to get rid of them. I had control for about another 2-3 years with the Extra Strength kit but it ended up making my face worse with a ton of whiteheads and blackheads all over my cheeks, jawline, forehead, and neck. Recently, I decided to try going to my skin spa where I never had a facial ever in my life. I was hesistant due to the pricing as I was forewarned by esthesiticians about the costs of treating my skin professionally going this route. My first facial I was completely amazed at how clean and glowy my skin was afterwards. I never felt a clean feeling like that before and have been getting facials for about 6 months now. Yes it is pricey at $160 for a facial but I am dedicated. My esthetician recommended that I change my pillow cases twice a week, continue to use my Sheer Cover make up as that was a good one for acne, and a line of SkinMedica Products to get off the horrific Proactiv system.

What's working right now.......

-Facials with chemical peels every 3-4 weeks

-SkinMedica Products

-Objagi

-Skinceuticals

-Clarisonic Cleansing Brush (I just purchased this because my esthetician uses this on my face when she cleanses my skin. It's expensive but I read raving reviews about this product so I'm still in the process of trying it)

Morning Treatments:

*SkinMedica Purifying Foam Cleanser (Used with my new Clarisonic Facial Brush)

*SkinMedica Purifying Toner

*Obaji Clarifying C Serum: Powerful Vitamin C that gradually fades dark spots overtime. The strongest you can get without a prescription. (Priced at over $100 for a small bottle but you only use 3-4 drops for the entire face)

*SkinMedica Ultra Sheer Moisterizer (Mixed with a dab of **Rx: Acanya Topical Gel (Benzoyl Peroxide/Clindamycin)

*SkinMedica Physical Defense SPF 30+ Sunscreen

Rx: Spironolactolone 50mg 1 tablet once per day (an off label direutic for homonal acne)

(I do wait a few minutes in between applications to ensure absorption of the serums and medications. Also, prior to applying my Sheer cover loose powder and Sephora Smooth Operator Tinted Clay Moisterizer for a glow. If I'm in more of a hurry to get ready for work I do a 1-2 minute cool blow dry on my face in between applications to encourage absorption)

Sephora Smooth Operator Tinted Clay Moisterizer is an excellent find for my oily acne prone skin. I was concerned with losing coverage when I workout at the gym but this holds up really well with a glimmer to it. I add it mostly under my eyes and cheeks with loose powder on top per my esthetician's recommendation. It works like a charm and holds up to sweat really well without losing my coverage.

Evening Treatments:

*SkinMedica Purifying Foam Cleanser (Used with my new Clarisonic Facial Brush)

*SkinMedica Purifying Toner

*SkinMedica Ultra Sheer Moisterizer (Mixed with a dab of **Rx: Atralin Topical Gel (Retin-A)

*Skinceuticals Age and Acne Serum for spot treatments

I know this is a huge this is a huge skin regimen but I have gotten many compliments in regards to my skin glowing daily because of my skin spa grade products and efforts. I still have to get my cystic injected by my dermatogist but the spironolactone is working already as my hormonal acne shrinks faster rather than 1-2 weeks or more to go away. I've spent hundreds in the past 6 months to get my skin to where it is now. I can't imagine what it woud look like if I didn't do all of this. I can completely sympathize with adult acne sufferers! I'm there with ya! It's expensive, time consuming, and overall exhausting to attempt to get control over moderate to severe acne like my temperamental skin......

I just happened to mix my dermatologist visits with my regimen and glad I did. My prescriptions are working well with my skin grade products and hoping the Clarisonic will only enhance it. My skin is glowing, smoother, and clearing gradually daily.......I will keep updates as I go along! I'm clearing but not fully there yet......this is working overall.

~Rebecca xo

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 09/28/2012 7:02 pm

Honestly, you don't need to spend that kind of money for the system your doing. I don't know how much the facial versus the peel is, but a facial shouldn't be more than $60, especially if you're getting them monthly. The Obagi Vitamin C you are using would be comparabe to the Lumiplexion product I use for $50. Vitamin C can lighten spots but it's not it's main purpose. If you're looking to fade spots more effective (and quickly) hydroquinone is excellent.

I'm guessing the SkinMedica line is not cheap either. I would suggest checking out Lumiplexion and saving yourself a few hundred a month. It really does sicken me that people (and I'm assuming these are sold from your esthetician) are way WAY overpricing products and services, praying on people with acne.

Lumiplexion is run by an esthetician. Her prices are almost the same as they were when I began going to her 22 years ago. They have literally gone up about 10% in 22 years. She is not out to gouge. She is there to help you get clear skin. She would probably also inform you that you don't need facials (especially not every 4 weeks) to get clear skin.

MemberMember
(@rlsid21)

Posted : 09/28/2012 11:07 pm

Honestly, you don't need to spend that kind of money for the system your doing. I don't know how much the facial versus the peel is, but a facial shouldn't be more than $60, especially if you're getting them monthly. The Obagi Vitamin C you are using would be comparabe to the Lumiplexion product I use for $50. Vitamin C can lighten spots but it's not it's main purpose. If you're looking to fade spots more effective (and quickly) hydroquinone is excellent.

I'm guessing the SkinMedica line is not cheap either. I would suggest checking out Lumiplexion and saving yourself a few hundred a month. It really does sicken me that people (and I'm assuming these are sold from your esthetician) are way WAY overpricing products and services, praying on people with acne.

Lumiplexion is run by an esthetician. Her prices are almost the same as they were when I began going to her 22 years ago. They have literally gone up about 10% in 22 years. She is not out to gouge. She is there to help you get clear skin. She would probably also inform you that you don't need facials (especially not every 4 weeks) to get clear skin.

Facinating, how would I go about picking out exactly what I need with another system like Lumiplexion? Yes, the prices are outstanding but I love the way they feel. If I can find something that would give me the same results and feel I would gladly swap out my SkinMedica products! Yeah, the facials with no peel is $110 versus $160 with a chemical peel. Would a $60 facial differ from the ones I'm getting now? Is it pretty much the same thing? I get cleansed, customized masks with what my oily acne prone skin, high frequency treatments to kill bacteria, extractions, and a calming mask ending with a sunscreen application. I'm a little hesitant about changing estheticians but I do know an esthetician that I can ask.

Thanks for your feedback and replies!

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 09/29/2012 12:47 am

I am not sure where you are located, but I would definitely look around. When I used to get facials way back they were $40 and through the years she (same Lumiplexion esthetician) never raised that price. A few years ago I did a series of facials for my daughter here local and they were $60. I would make some calls. Of course you want an esthetician specializing in acne. As far as the Lumiplexion, you can check out her Facebook page or go to her website (lumiplexion dot com). She works with you personally to make sure you are getting the right products. Her products are all quality. They are also concentrated, so they last much longer than you'd expect with the sizes. A bottle of face wash lasts me at least six months. I've been using the Vit C serum now for two to three months and barely halfway through the bottle. Feel free to email her to ask questions. You can tell her what you're using, what your skin type is, etc..she'll get back to you and let you know what she recommends. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@crab76)

Posted : 10/11/2012 12:25 am

I just wanted to chime in on the price of facials & peels. I'm a medical esthetician and a facial in a reputable spa or med spa should be around $100-$120. And Starting at $150 for a decent peel Alone. Stronger peels will go up in price from there. I would charge like $200 if I included a peel in a facial. I've never heard of a facial being $40. I normally get $40 for my tip! lol

Obviously it depends on where you live. I'm in Newport Beach Cali so it's on the high end here.

Anyways....I don't think those prices are crazy. Those product lines are great too. Glad it's working for you. I spend a ton on products too! Medical Grade products have better ingrediants and delivery systems Period! smile.png