Holy Moly! Linoleic...

Notifications
Clear all

Holy Moly! Linoleic Acid?

MemberMember
(@alona)

Posted : 09/17/2009 4:11 pm

Hi, I'm 29 and been suffering from Acne since I moved to the US to attend college. Well I just made a huge discovery today.

The sebaceous glands normally produce sebum with linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid. This type of sebum has a liquid viscosity. It is calming to the skin and does not promote follicular irritation that leads to plugs. When linoleic acid is not available, the sebaceous glands produce sebum with oleic acid. This oleic form of sebum is irritating to the skin and promotes plugs. Oleic sebum is much firmer than linoleic sebum and is prone to producing hard comedones rather than flowing out of the follicle. This causes blackheads and whiteheads and both of these conditions may lead to acne infections.
MemberMember
(@wibble)

Posted : 09/18/2009 11:46 am

Anything is possible. I've read this before in some studies and wondered about a link. Most of the focus seems to be on Omega 3, and how many western diets have too much, but I'm not totally convinced taking just Omega 3 is the solution. I've been taking fish oil Omega 3 caps for a while now, and somehow that alone seems to make acne worse for me, but there's so many contributing factors (also on a low GL diet atm).

I have recently bought a supplement with more Omega 6 than Omega 3 actually, just to see if I can tell any difference, but its too early to tell. I'll update if anything of interest.

Best I can suggest is to give it a go! We're all different, and its hard to tell about each person and what they have too much or too little of. Somehow I think most will think it unlikely that there's a deficiency with most diets, Omega 6 is in a lot more food than 3, maybe more could actually help. But I think we're only seeing a tiny bit of the picture so far. Maybe supplement 3 & 6 ?

There are also studies relating to it topically rather than internally so maybe worth a read also.

Just to add, one study suggested that there may be a deficiency of linoleic acid in sebum "because" there is too much sebum (so less of the l-a to go around so to speak). Maybe the ideal is to try and lower the amount of sebum, (I'm trying with a low GL & triglyceride diet & o3), but actually also add the o6, so if we do produce too much sebum, its still "better quality" ?

Just guessing!

MemberMember
(@alona)

Posted : 09/19/2009 6:18 pm

Thanks for your advise and encouragement Wibble! Yeah, the Safflower oil tastes too bad for me :P

I read that your body needs more Omega-6 than 3. At a ratio of 2:1, but most people have too much 3 and not enough 6. So I stopped by the store and got some Omega-3-6-9 gel caps. They have all the fatty acids I've been looking for. I started taking them today, and will let you know what I find out.

MemberMember
(@sonicx2218)

Posted : 07/06/2014 8:15 pm

5 years later and nothing. lol. guess it didn't work for her. I'm starting that myself in a day.