Notifications
Clear all

starting high dose (60mg) accutane/ isotretinoin, advice? accutane log

MemberMember
(@myjourney16)

Posted : 07/12/2018 11:19 pm

I am a 20 year old female with rather mild but very persistent acne on my face, shoulders, and occasionally my chest. Ive had acne for 9 years and have had a lot of struggles with self confidence. Having tried 5 prescription topicals, antibiotics, laser treatments, diet changes, natural oils, etc., nothing has worked. My doctor suggested accutane and having read the success stories, I was on board, but still a little hesitant. I am 114 pounds (51 kg) and was started on 60 mg/ day. I told my doctor that i was worried about starting so high, but she said itd be fine since my labs were perfect. Im afraid of the side effects and the IB. Does a higher dose worsen the IB? Are any of the side effects drastically worse? Supplement suggestions? Im on day 2 and have had dry eyes but nothing else so far.

MemberMember
(@myjourney16)

Posted : 07/15/2018 7:42 pm

I am now on day 5 and have some pretty dry skin around my chin. Hopefully I can figure out how to decrease the dry patches so that I can continue to wear makeup and not look crazy:( The skin around my nose is itchy but not that dry, and my lips arent too bad either - aquaphor is amazing!! My vision is a little off, not blurry at all but not normal. No breakouts yet. Hopefully I wont get an initial breakout since my skin was more mild to begin with. I have been quite tired since starting the medicine, but each day I feel like I am managing it better than the prior day.

I use the Mario Badescu rose/aloe water both am and pm after cleansing with my CeraVe Hydrating Cleansor. At night, I use the CeraVe Cream along with hyaluronic acid. In the morning I use just a light moisturizer with SPF, and will start using argan oil tomorrow.

Does anyone have any foundations that are good for dry skin?

MemberMember
(@plaguevictim)

Posted : 07/16/2018 12:39 am

Hi. 60mg looks scary. I am taking 40mg/day. Since you don't have much body weight you should see the results fast. I was acne free in 4 months but the doctor said I should keep taking the medicine up to 7 months (this is the last one ^^). Maybe I got lucky but I had no side effects apart from mild lip dryness and no IB.

MemberMember
(@myjourney16)

Posted : 07/17/2018 12:30 am

Yeah its kind of worrisome. Im constantly waiting for either really bad side effects or a really bad IB! What dose did you start on? Im jealous!! And thats great! I cannot wait until Im done, haha.

MemberMember
(@plaguevictim)

Posted : 07/17/2018 12:55 am

24 minutes ago, myjourney16 said:

Yeah it™s kind of worrisome. I™m constantly waiting for either really bad side effects or a really bad IB! What dose did you start on? I™m jealous!! And that™s great! I cannot wait until I™m done, haha. 

40mg/day since day one :)