Notifications
Clear all

My Accutane Diary 26yo/ Male

MemberMember
(@simplemutton)

Posted : 11/09/2017 7:19 pm

Hello, in this topic I'll try to make regular updates about my (third) Accutane course. 

I started to get very bad acne when I was 14yo and my dermatologist initially prescribed me just creams and some soaps, of course they did nothing. 
When I was 17yo my dermatologist finally prescribed me Accutane (40-60mg per day) and after 6 months my acne disappeared but I was left with terrible acne scars due to cysts ravaging my skin in the previous 3-4 years.

After one year of being (almost) clear acne reappeared and I was given another course of Accutane for 4 months. It took care of my acne partially. 
Then I concentrated my efforts to improve the appearance of my scars even though I still got some acne. 

A couple years later I started to take finasteride pills for some hairloss and I found out my acne disappeared very quickly and for the 5-6 months I was on it I got zero acne but I had to stop because of terrible side effects I was having with finasteride. 

At the beginning of 2017 my acne again got worse and I got cysts even my chest, I didn't want to go on Accutane another time so I tried with Retin A but it didn't work....my acne got way worse and I got new scars in my face, back and chest. I looked very bad. 

One week ago my dermatologist prescribed me yet another course of Accutane for 6 months. I have to take 40 mg per dat for the first 4 weeks and then 60mg per day. 

I'm on day 7 and I definitely got the initial breakout, I'm covered in cysts pretty much everywhere in my body....my lips are starting to get chapped but applying lip balm frequently it's manageable. 

Hope I get better soon because I'm so tired of dealing with acne :(

MemberMember
(@bigm84)

Posted : 11/11/2017 3:46 pm

Good luck with your journey man, hope it works out for u. Im a 33 yr old male on my first course..hoping to beat acne for good, lived with it for far too long

MemberMember
(@simplemutton)

Posted : 11/11/2017 5:28 pm

Thanks! What day are you in?

I'm on day 8 and it's very very bad, I have a terrible breakout with cysts all over my body...it must be the initial breakout, hope it get better soon because I wasn't this bad since a lot of time

As for the rest, I get a bit of dry lips, nose and eyes....the rest is good

will update

MemberMember
(@bigm84)

Posted : 11/11/2017 5:54 pm

Im nearly 3 months in on 30mg per day. I luckily didnt have a bad initial breakout and spots started to clear very quickly. Had very itchy red flushed skin after a few days.

itching has gone but my face has been a shade of red the whole time and suffering from flushing which is really annoying.

MemberMember
(@simplemutton)

Posted : 11/13/2017 11:12 am

On 12/11/2017 at 0:54 AM, BigM84 said:

Im nearly 3 months in on 30mg per day. I luckily didnt have a bad initial breakout and spots started to clear very quickly. Had very itchy red flushed skin after a few days.

itching has gone but my face has been a shade of red the whole time and suffering from flushing which is really annoying.

I'm experiencing very bad itching too, pretty much everywhere on my body...don't have much redness though but probably it's too early to say

Day 10:

The cysts I was getting are quickly drying and I only got a small new one, I hope the initial breakout is stopping

As far as side effects I have many:

- Tiredness: this one is crazy, I used to sleep 6-7 hours per night but now I need 10-12 per night, I'm very tired and easily fatigued
- Headaches: I get one every other day
- Muscles stiffness: my muscles are a bit stiff, especially my back....
- Dry lips and eyes (in the morning): I use lip balm and artificial drops to quell them
- Hairloss: this is the scariest one, it's not that bad and I really hope it disappears
- Itchiness: it comes and goes, and is generalized everywhere on my body

Well, I hope it gets better....for now I try to stay positive

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 11/16/2017 6:18 am

If it helps, I had my worst side effects at the two week mark on only 30mg a day. My skin was incredibly itchy and rather red. My lips got dry all of a sudden. My muscles around my ribs ached. But all the side effects eased off after a couple of weeks. I'm starting my fifth month now and my skin is no longer itchy or red. My muscles can be a bit stiff after exercise, but nothing I'd worry about. Lips, skin, and eyes are a little dry but perfectly manageable. And although I had almost constant headaches for two weeks when I switched up to 50mg, that cleared up on its own. Bear with it - it will get better!

BigM84 liked
MemberMember
(@bigm84)

Posted : 11/16/2017 9:15 am

2 hours ago, Jollyhohnson said:

If it helps, I had my worst side effects at the two week mark on only 30mg a day. My skin was incredibly itchy and rather red. My lips got dry all of a sudden. My muscles around my ribs ached. But all the side effects eased off after a couple of weeks. I'm starting my fifth month now and my skin is no longer itchy or red. My muscles can be a bit stiff after exercise, but nothing I'd worry about. Lips, skin, and eyes are a little dry but perfectly manageable. And although I had almost constant headaches for two weeks when I switched up to 50mg, that cleared up on its own. Bear with it - it will get better!

I second that, side effects much worse in weeks 2 to about 4 for me.

Jolly do you know how long your total course will be? In months I mean

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 11/16/2017 2:17 pm

Should be about five months in total.

MemberMember
(@simplemutton)

Posted : 11/18/2017 8:50 am

Thank you for the encouraging words!

I'm on day 15 and my worst side effect is dry eyes....this morning I woke up and my eyes were burning and even now (4 pm) they still do a little bit despite all the eye drops I have put inside them.
I'm very worried about it because last year I had laser eye surgery and I think after that I'm more prone to eyes' dryness

My acne is getting better, only a new one pimple has sprung up (on my back)

Honestly this morning I thought about stopping the course because my eyes really worried me but I think I'll take it for another week and if my eyes improve and I'll keep being on it.
I had other two courses in the past and I didn't have problem with my eyes

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 11/19/2017 2:52 am

Yes that is a known side effect. Jollyhohnson suffered from that. Sure she will fill you in on how she coped. Her blog is really worth a read and details her progress to month 5. Bear with it. Don't give up.

MemberMember
(@simplemutton)

Posted : 11/19/2017 3:56 pm

Day 16!

Today I woke and my eyes felt better even though they were still dry....don't have the problems during the day, just in the morning
Other side effects aren't that bad or actually I think some disappeared

I did breakout again today....two new cysts in my back, must be the IB

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 11/20/2017 3:51 pm

If you're suffering from dry eyes, as well as using eye drops you may wish to purchase an eye mask. It's a moist heat mask that you heat in the microwave and then place over your eyes for ten minutes. It helps warm the fluids and oils in your eyes and helps prevent irritation from dry eyes. When my eyes got bad I used a mask twice a day (morning and night) for two weeks along with eyelid wipes and eye drops. My eyes are doing much better now, and I can get by with just the eye drops about four times a day. Remember, side effects tend to be worst at the end of the second week but will get better. Side effects also make a reappearance when you increase the dose.

Juwalker liked