Notifications
Clear all

My Experience with Isotretinoin- Expect Regular Updates

MemberMember
(@buoyantpost)

Posted : 06/01/2017 6:48 am

I began taking Isoderm about a month and a half ago. Instead of starting with 40mg, I was prescribed 10mg/day with the intention to uptitrate and observe the side effects. I took 10mg/day for the entire first month. Note: I have moderate, refractory acne on my shoulders, jaw, face, breasts and occasionally a bump or two on my stomach. Prior therapies include 4 courses of different antibiotics with great success and topical creams with no success. The acne always returned once the antibiotics ran out, if not worse than before. My derm and I intend for me to continue using Isoderm for 6 months.

My observations in month 1:

• None during weeks 1-2. No difference in anything.
  • In weeks 2-4, I noticed my lips were slightly dryer. I began applying chapstick once every few hours. The pores on my nose dried slightly, but the rest of my skin was still visibly normal. I realized my hair was acting strangely to being washed every 48 hours like I had always done. The texture changed. I started washing my hair less. The acne was there as usual.
  • Lab results: Normal

Now in month 2:

• My derm now has me taking 20mg/day.
  • In weeks 1-2 of month 2, the acne got much worse. I had cysts forming all over my face. These would stay for a very long time and did not react to any topical treatments nor form whiteheads.
  • It is currently week 3 of month 2. The cystic acne on my face has died down. My face looks okay without makeup. I have observed I have no more acne on my breasts. Acne on the shoulders has been reduced to one or two persistent cysts. My face isn't spectacularly dry, I moisturize at least once a day. I wash my hair once a week, my hair seems to like this. My lips are somewhat dry and appear smaller, I remedy this with chapstick. No other subjective side effects.
  • Lab results: Increased CK and eosinophil levels, my derm is watching this. It is suspected the raised CK levels are due to my active participation in sports about 6/7 days a week.

Month 3: Coming soon