Notifications
Clear all

24M - Low Dose Accutane treatment

MemberMember
(@jacob2100)

Posted : 02/25/2017 6:22 pm

Hey everyone,

Intro - Benzoyl Peroxide & Minocycline
I'm 24 years old, and I've suffered from moderate, persistent acne on my face and back for the last 8 years. I've tried a range of different cleansers & washes and found some success with Benzoyl Peroxide - however I found that it only suppressed and calmed my acne, it didn't clear it.I had incredibly oily skin and I got sick of the daily or twice daily cleansing process and still getting pimples, so I finally decided to see my doctor - not expecting much success. I got prescribed Minocycline and was amazed with the near immediate results - my acne cleared, inflammation reduced, my skin felt amazing. After so many years I suddenly realised that I no longer had pain in my face from blocked pores and cystic acne and I got to stop using Benzoyl Peroxide. Unfortunately, like most people, as soon as I finished Minocycline my acne returned.

My doctor prescribed me with 1x 20mg "Oratane" isotretinoin daily. I forgot to ask him why it was such a low dose, and I was worried 20mg wouldn't be enough to work, however I was also nervous about the side effects so decided to stick with the low dose to get my body adjusted to accutane.

Accutane Log
Week one - Starting accutane treatment, I noticed very quickly my lips felt 'tight' then became very dry. I initially just used moisturiser to keep them hydrated. By the end of the first week I was getting minor headaches. My acne was clear, but this was because I had just come off Minocycline.

Second week, my lips were becoming cracked, dry and painful. My acne started to return with a few whiteheads dotted around my face. My headaches were getting worse - and I figured they were from my eyes getting dry and sore later in the day. I found it difficult to focus my eyes on things. My job involves driving, so I just started wearing sunglasses when my eyes were sore, and found decent relief. Also noticed my skin becoming itchy - especially the inner-part of my elbows and my forehead directly above my nose.

Week three - I broke out really badly. I had three massive 'clusters' each with 10-20 tiny whiteheads that turned up on the right side of my face, which I've never had before. My cheeks and mouth area became covered in big whiteheads, some cysts and red spots. My face became really oily, worse than usual. I ignored my acne for a few days before I couldn't take it anymore and used a Salicylic Acid cleanser and Benzoyl Peroxide. My lips were really bad so I followed the advice on this forum and used Hydrocortisone ointment (which annoyingly is a "pharmacy restricted" medicine here in New Zealand so was kinda hard to get) and my lips cleared up really well the next day - I still have to use lip balm every couple of hours.

Week four - My acne subsided with the added Benzoyl Peroxide treatment. The clusters of whiteheads slowly healed and my other spots went away. I noticed my eyes were a lot better and I don't get headaches anymore. Skin is still itchy in random patches but not unbearable. I noticed my skin was getting very thin on my face (particularly noticed it because the pores on my nose stand out a lot now) so I resumed using Cetaphil spf30 moisturiser.

Week five- my skin is very clear - I obviously still have acne scars and other blemishes from my 8 year battle with acne, but no new whiteheads, cysts, red marks. Even better, there's no oil on my face, even midday or end of day - it's dry and clear which is amazing to someone whose always had a greasy oily face. My skin is still very thin, I have stopped using Benzoyl Peroxide and only use a gentle Cetaphil foaming cleanser, plus the moisturiser. Still have to use lip balm all the time and my skin is still itchy, but I can't complain! I've been able to continue my cardio & some weights training without any problems, which is great because I'm trying to improve my fitness and lose weight and was worried I would have to stop while on accutane.

Will keep updating!
I'm currently on 20mg daily for 3 months, but I want to stay on it for 6 months to ensure my acne doesn't return.

MemberMember
(@jacob2100)

Posted : 03/04/2017 4:00 pm

Week 6 -
Having stopped using Benzoyl peroxide and swapping my cleaner for a gentle Cetaphil foaming cleanser, my skin doesn't seem anywhere near as thin. I was worried the Benzoyl peroxide was keeping the acne away but I've had no new whiteheads or any new acne on my face all week - it's stayed very clear.

I wanted to quickly mention one annoying (but manageable) side effect - I used to sweat a bit on hot days or under moderate exercise, but now I sweat so easily - it just takes a fast walk or a long walk and I'm starting to sweat. It's definitely new because I'm sweating in new places - it used to just be my face and armpits, now I notice I sweat really bad around the front and back of my neck, all through my hair, and all down my back. Possibly the worst part about this is my inner thighs are chafing really badly as I sweat around that area and obviously I can't air it out during the day... it's left me with big red painful rashes down by inner thighs on both sides.

Otherwise, so far so good!

MemberMember
(@anaita)

Posted : 04/28/2017 6:17 am

How is it going so far?
My derm has also prescribed a low dose of 20 mg for 40 days after which I have an appointment and then he'll prescribe the next course depending on how its going.
I'm really worried that a low dose wont work in the long run but my dermatologist seems pretty adamant about it.
Ive suffered from moderate acne. My skin is extremely unpredictable, it can be really clear for a week and the out of no where I break out into horrible cysts. I dont get too may at a time but they'e really huge and painful.
I went on antibiotics for a long time, and my skin did clear up.. but it all came back when I finished the course which was so disappointing.
I've currently finished around 10 days on accutane, and I'm already experiencing an IB which sucks. I'm using benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin at the moment to treat it.
I hope it goes away soon!