Accutane Week One

MemberMember
(@kaay12)

Posted : 06/21/2016 4:51 am

Hey, I am a 20 year old female on accutane. I've been stuggling with acne for 6 years, and I tried everything over the counter and a few precribed topicals and antibiotics. I resently began getting cystic acne so I went to the derm. and she precribed me accutane . I just finish week one. My side-effects include, extremely dry skin, eyes burn, and slight muscle ache. I have already noticed a difference in my skin, for my pores shrunk. I'd appreciate if anyone has any advice about what is to come in the upcoming weeks.

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 06/21/2016 10:14 am

5 hours ago, kaay12 said:

Hey, I am a 20 year old female on accutane. I've been stuggling with acne for 6 years, and I tried everything over the counter and a few precribed topicals and antibiotics. I resently began getting cystic acne so I went to the derm. and she precribed me accutane . I just finish week one. My side-effects include, extremely dry skin, eyes burn, and slight muscle ache. I have already noticed a difference in my skin, for my pores shrunk. I'd appreciate if anyone has any advice about what is to come in the upcoming weeks.

Welcome to accutane! Personally, I would recommend keeping a picture log, whether it be on here or just personally stored on your phone or something to look at. As this is a long course and progress can sometimes be slow, I know for me it was nice to look back at older pictures just to be reminded that my skin has improved. Not sure where you live, but for me it is extremely hot and sunny right now. Be sure to stock up on sunscreen and lip balm with spf. Sometimes people forget about lip sunscreen and burn their lips. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@kaay12)

Posted : 06/26/2016 1:54 am

Thanks for the tips. I thought that aquaphor was enough for lips, I didn't even think out sunscreen.But I will for sure go get some, any brands you recommend?

On June 21, 2016 at 11:14 AM, Diamond98 said:
On June 21, 2016 at 5:51 AM, kaay12 said:

Welcome to accutane! Personally, I would recommend keeping a picture log, whether it be on here or just personally stored on your phone or something to look at. As this is a long course and progress can sometimes be slow, I know for me it was nice to look back at older pictures just to be reminded that my skin has improved. Not sure where you live, but for me it is extremely hot and sunny right now. Be sure to stock up on sunscreen and lip balm with spf. Sometimes people forget about lip sunscreen and burn their lips. Good luck!

Do you think I should take weekly or monthly pictures?

Diamond98 liked
MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 06/26/2016 3:08 am

Some people experience a purging phase which people refer to as an initial breakout so mentally prepare yourself for that. It could get really bad before you see any good.

Milestones people seem to notice improvements are around the 1st month, 3rd month or towards the end of your course. I'm 3.5 weeks into my course and suffering dry eyes and lips 24/7. I've been applying paw paw cream and eye drops to combat this.

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 06/26/2016 4:00 pm

14 hours ago, kaay12 said:

Thanks for the tips. I thought that aquaphor was enough for lips, I didn't even think out sunscreen.But I will for sure go get some, any brands you recommend?

my picture log has updates around every 2 weeks. In that time frame I have noticed my skin changes enough to be seen through a picture. 2 weeks works well. For sunscreen, I use Thinksport 50+ spf mineral sunscreen and Coppertone Faces oil free 50 spf sunscreen. So far on my beach vacation they have done well. Good luck and feel free to check out my log and ask questions if you have any.

MemberMember
(@kaay12)

Posted : 06/27/2016 1:09 am

21 hours ago, invisiblenetrix said:

Some people experience a purging phase which people refer to as an initial breakout so mentally prepare yourself for that. It could get really bad before you see any good.

Milestones people seem to notice improvements are around the 1st month, 3rd month or towards the end of your course. I'm 3.5 weeks into my course and suffering dry eyes and lips 24/7. I've been applying paw paw cream and eye drops to combat this.

Did you experience an initial break out? I am done with my second week. I have broken out but nothing too extreme.

9 hours ago, Diamond98 said:
23 hours ago, kaay12 said:

my picture log has updates around every 2 weeks. In that time frame I have noticed my skin changes enough to be seen through a picture. 2 weeks works well. For sunscreen, I use Thinksport 50+ spf mineral sunscreen and Coppertone Faces oil free 50 spf sunscreen. So far on my beach vacation they have done well. Good luck and feel free to check out my log and ask questions if you have any.

I was planning on going to the beach this summer, but everyone says that you can't on accutane because your skin is so sensitive to the sun. So I was wondering how it went for you. Your advice is so helpful, thank you.

MemberMember
(@keb1738)

Posted : 07/02/2016 1:00 pm

Im on 30 mgs/ day for 2 weeks now. Have super dry lips and micro peeling. Got some new cystic acne but not that bad.

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 07/03/2016 11:47 am

On 6/27/2016 at 1:09 AM, kaay12 said:
Did you experience an initial break out? I am done with my second week. I have broken out but nothing too extreme. I was planning on going to the beach this summer, but everyone says that you can't on accutane because your skin is so sensitive to the sun. So I was wondering how it went for you. Your advice is so helpful, thank you.

I actually just got home from a week long vacation in Myrtle Beach, and the weather was extremely unfavorable to someone on an Accutane course. I spent 7-8 hours a day in the sun either in the ocean or skimboarding and experienced no excessive burning or irritation. When I wasn't in the water or near the shore, I was sitting with my family under an umbrella. I highly recommend renting or bringing an umbrella as it will provide a safe zone for you if you feel as if the sun is too strong. I wore tons of sunscreen too, I reapplied throughout the day 3 times. I would recommend spf50. But remember, everyone's symptoms are dofferent. Some people are very sensitive to the sun while others are not as sensitive. Just be careful and have fun. Any more questions feel free to ask.