Notifications
Clear all

Accutane and Scarring

MemberMember
(@guitarist-21)

Posted : 04/21/2016 7:12 pm

Hi, so I am on my 5th month of accutane and almost all of my actual acne is gone except for a few small spots. However my face still looks kind of bad because I have red scars all over my cheeks (not deep ones, just very dark). My derm recommend a product that she thinks will clear them up, but she wants me to continue on accutane for one more month. The problem is I'm going on a big trip in two months and I really want my face to look better, but I'd have to wait a whole month after I'm done with accutane to start using the scar treatment stuff (which would be after my trip). So my question is, if my face is like 99% acne free do you think I could ask my derm if this could be my last month? Or is 5 months not long enough and it will come back?

MemberMember
(@elee92)

Posted : 04/21/2016 7:24 pm

If I were you, I'd listen to your dermatologist and stay on Accutane. I read somewhere that you should stay on Accutane until you're acne free for 2 continuous months and that a higher total dosage (so longer and/or high dose treatment) is more effective at reducing recurrence rates.

MemberMember
(@llduo)

Posted : 05/02/2016 8:41 am

Definitely stay on it or it has a higher likelihood of returning. My dosage was too low my first time around so now I am on round 2 and my face looks like the predator w his mask off. It's a nightmare. But I would think you would be able to use skin lightening topical now instead of waiting - a lot of doctors do that.