Starting accutane

MemberMember
(@lapa1052)

Posted : 02/16/2016 7:33 pm

I'm going to start accutane 40mg TONIGHT. I'm terrified. Especially of the initial breakout. I'm 26, female, sick of my aCNE. I had clear skin for a few years, until I became resistant to every antibiotic available for accutane. NO JOKE I'VE TRIED THEM ALL. I've been on oral clyndamyacin for the last 2 months and j saw great improvement. But I've been having bowel issues and decided to go off it because of the high risk of colitis. Plus my body always builds resistance to antibiotics, and I want to end that cycle. I fear the ib especially since the clyndamyacin has cleared me quite a bit. So I'm expecting to break out BAD. NOOOOOOOO. I'm planning getting married in September, so if I start now then I'll be finished just in time for my wedding 🙂 downside is my bf is proposing anytime now. ...but I'm going to tell him he'll have to hold off if I'm being a recluse from my breakout haha. How long did you all break out? I know it varies, but I'd like to hear some stories. Also, some insight on your first week would be great. I started accutane in Aug for just a week. My skin burned like crazy and was very very red and very oily. Did anyone else experience this before drying up?

MemberMember
(@jacob_b)

Posted : 02/17/2016 2:47 am

Hey there :)

Don't worry, I've been through what you're talking about, I'm personally unresponsive to almost every antibiotic. I'm currently on a relatively high dose for my moderate acne; this is my fourth month. Initially I did break out with a few cysts and my blackheads seemed to look much larger. You for sure shouldn't be terrified, it's not as nasty as it seems I promise you. I didn't experience any burning or oiliness, in fact I experienced redness and dryness where prior to the medication I had oiliness. Your first week of accutane should be pretty simple, you might get a few more pustules. Make sure you have plenty of Chapstick, and Vaseline or aquaphor as dryness of the lips will be the first sign that the treatment is beginning to take effect. You should honestly notice that your face will become drier and less oily. But it may be different for you than it was for me. Your initial breakout faze might last on up to 3 months depending on how I react to medication. As for the burning, you need to avoid any kinds of retinoids or acne fighting medications such as beynzol peroxide or salicylic acid. I've learned that the hard way and it will give you the exact effects you describe. Another possible reason could have been contact with sunlight. Avoid both of these things and use an alcohol free and soap free cleanser twice a day with adequate moisturizer to avoid minor side effects. I personally suggest at least a few weeks through the treatment to apply a dime size amount of regular Vaseline on your face after washing your face at night only. It may seem like it will "clog your pores" but it has been proven noncomedogenic and its purified three times. My dermatologist swore by it and my skin was saved from it during my treatment. That's all I really have to say, I wish you the best of luck, and just stay optimistic!