Notifications
Clear all

Isotretinoin- 25Y/o-118 Lb-Female- 2Nd Round!

MemberMember
(@mish90)

Posted : 09/18/2015 5:47 am

Hey guys!

I decided to document my Isotretinoin journey this time.

But first, let me give you a little background about my skin.

I have been suffering from acne since I was about 10 years old!. it started on my forehead, at that time I thought it was because of my bangs, so I started to grow them out but it didn't get any better and continued to worsen and spread to include all my face, neck, chest, back and upper arms!

I used all the OTC acne products but it did't work at all.

Then when I became 13 or so, I went to a dermatologist and he prescribed me some topicals, then put me on antibiotics, but nothing happpened!

I was really depressed and disappointed, however, my mother didn't think its a big deal as she suffered from it when she was younger, and it runs in the family.

Then, 2 years later I changed my dermatologist, and he suggested to put me on Ro-accutane, I was 15 and I needed my parents approval, so my mother refused to allow me to take it.

I continued to suffer from acne, until I was 18, and decided to start Ro-accutane on my own risk.

I was on it for about 6 months, it reduced the severity of my acne but it did not cure it!

My dermatologist said that it will go away after I stop taking the drug, but I continued to have some breakouts here and there.

Over the years, I found out that my acne is aggravated by diary products, so I cut them out from my diet (although I love cheese so much :( )

I did some Fraxel laser treatments for my acne scars, they have improved about 60-70%, but the new breakouts always leave me with red/brown marks that will bring me back to square one!

Now that I am 25 years old, I am so sick of acne, and I strive for clear/normal skin, I decided to go for it again after 7 years and hope that it will work this time!

I already did my blood test, its all normal, and hopefully I will start Isotretinoin on Sunday!

I will keep you guys updated!

P.S: I apologise for my English, its not my first language

MemberMember
(@mish90)

Posted : 09/19/2015 1:01 pm

Hi

I just got my prescription, I'll start tomorrow with 10mg once daily for one month

Currently, I have one cyst on my left cheek that has been there for 3 months!

In addition to two pimples on my right cheek, and many blackheads and clogged pores all over my face.

Also, I have some breakouts on my back!

It is worth mentioning that I have the bad habit of picking, too.

Hopefully starting from tomorrow I'll try keeping my hands and mind busy, and not to obsess too much about my skin.

It's gonna be a very looong journey!!

MemberMember
(@mish90)

Posted : 09/21/2015 12:07 pm

Day 2

Nothing new so far!

I just want to remind you that you should take your pill after a high-fat meal (approx 50g of fat) to optimise absorption!

Here is a list of some good fats to incorporate into your meal ^_^

Peanut Butter (2 tpsp serving)= 32g of fat

Medium-sized Avocado= 28g of fat

Salmon (200g Fillet)= 27g of fat

Olive oil (1 tpsp)= 14g of fat

If you have any other suggestion, please feel free

MemberMember
(@mish90)

Posted : 09/27/2015 2:59 pm

Day 8

Today I took my 8th pill.

Nothing major happen during the first week.

No dryness in the face or lips yet! (I'm on a very low dose= 10mg/day)

My previous breakouts are still there.

Few days ago I picked at them, and now they look more red :(

I started learning Crochet as an attempt to drift my thoughts and hands away from my acne ><.

Hope you're having a nice day!

MemberMember
(@mish90)

Posted : 10/03/2015 4:41 pm

Day 14 (2 weeks yay!)

Today I almost forgot my pill!

But fortunately I remembered couple of hours after lunch.

I grabbed a nutty chocolate bar (bad I know ) and ate it before the drug to help it get absorbed.

Skin wise, the scabs came off naturally while washing my face, Finally!!

However, the skin underneath it is a little pinkish/brown, hope that will fade soon :-

Side effects, I don't feel the dryness yet

MemberMember
(@mish90)

Posted : 10/19/2015 11:08 am

Day 30
Nothing really changed
I had a couple breakouts that went away in few days
The cyst on my left cheek is still red though ><
My blood test was normal
My dermatologist upped my dose to 40mg/day

MemberMember
(@mish90)

Posted : 11/19/2015 3:26 pm

Day60

Today I went to my second month appointment

My blood test was within the normal range, although, my cholesterol level is slightly increased ><

My dermatologist increased my dose to 50mg, and my next appointment will be 6 weeks from now.

Skin wise,

My skin is doing fine, I had some small breakouts that went away in a few days.

But the red patch on my left cheek is still there,and it annoys me so much!!

Regarding the side effects,

My face is slightly drier than usual, but nothing crazy.

However, my lips are very dry and peeling all the time!

Also, I had some back pain at the beginning of this month, but it has improved gradually.

MemberMember
(@mish90)

Posted : 03/31/2016 4:23 am

It's been a very long time since I last updated you guys!
I finally finished my course on the 29th of March, It means I'm 2 days Accutane free!!
I have been on it for 191 days total.
My dose was 50mg daily since month 3 til the end of month 6, then I decreased the dose to 40 mg the last 11 days.
The total cumulative dose is almost 150mg/kg (which is the maximum dose)
Pros:
I didn't have any breakouts for months, yay!
Cons:
My skin, lips, eyes and hair are very DRY.
My hair was falling like hell two months ago, but fortunately it slowed down now.
But what worries me the most is my periods!
I've always had pretty regular periods, but in the last couple of months my period was about a week late.
And now its two weeks late which is super weird for me! (I'm not on BCP because I'm abstinent)
I hope that there nothing wrong with me and it goes back to normal.
please let me know if you have similar experience and what happened to you.

MemberMember
(@mish90)

Posted : 07/07/2016 1:02 pm

100 Days Post-Accutane
Hey there!
I just want to update you guys about my skin.
I haven't had any acne breakouts since I stopped Accutane, which is a great feeling!
My skin is slightly oily now, but not as oily as before.
My Hair fall is finally SUBSIDING which is my most bothering side effect!
But also I changed my hair care routine, and started hennaing my hair and taking vitamins, maybe it helped?
And now I'm in a journey to return the health and thickness of my hair.
Regrading my period, the last month of Accutane I had the longest period of my life!
It lasted 45 days, and when it came it was super painful!
But thankfully, the last three months it returned back to almost normal (32, 34 and 30 respectively).

Hope this update helped you, and if you have any questions I'm happy to answer them :)

MemberMember
(@shuangzixj)

Posted : 07/07/2016 10:04 pm

thanks for sharing. I'll have my first blood draw tomorrow, a long journey is waiting..