Notifications
Clear all

First Time On Accutane! 19 Y/o Female, 120 Lbs

MemberMember
(@allierose)

Posted : 09/07/2015 12:39 pm

Stumbled across this website today and wish I had seen it sooner! I'm starting my isotretinoin (accutane) regimen on September 18th, and I figured I would keep a log of side effects, etc. Even if no one but me reads it, I hope it'll help.

I've dealt with acne since I was probably 12. Started seeing a dermatologist at age 15 or so. Have been on minocycline several times and also tried doxycycline once. The doxy gave me such horrible esophagitis that it nearly landed me in the hospital because I was in so much pain that I could barely drink water.

More recently the acne on my face has calmed down but I've never been able to control the acne on my back, shoulders, and chest. It's embarrassing to wear a swim suit and I never wear shirts or dresses that leave my back exposed. I'm ready to finally be able to wear what I want without having to worry about my back showing!

I am very ready and excited to start Accutane! I'll update as the months go on.

mcgrocks and amybenn liked
MemberMember
(@amybenn)

Posted : 09/07/2015 6:35 pm

HI

I'm 16 and have had nearly the same experiences with my acne. I started Accutane last week and I'm starting to purge. Just glad to know there are other people who are going through the same thing as me!

MemberMember
(@allierose)

Posted : 09/20/2015 12:13 pm

Well, here goes! Started yesterday. No side effects yet as far as I can tell, but here's an update on how my skin looks as of right now. Also, the brand I'm taking is Claravis, and I'm on 30mg per day.

Day 1: 9/19/15

-several big cysts on upper back

-smaller ones on middle/lower back

-a few zits on face: one on side of nose, one to left of mouth. Nothing a little makeup can't hide.

Day 2: 9/20/15

-no change

MemberMember
(@mcgrocks)

Posted : 09/20/2015 5:51 pm

Hi! I'm really glad I found this log because I'm in the exact same boat as everyone in it. I just started my Accutane (my brand is called zenatane) today. I'm 17 and 115 lbs, I've had acne since I first hit puberty around 12 and tried doxycycline as well. It didn't help my acne much and I had a strange side effect, my skin in my hands and feet would have a numb, tingly feeling for days while taking it, and once I'd get off of it I was fine. Super weird. Anyway, I'm excited to see how this is going to play out. Senior pictures are in a month so fingers crossed I start seeing improvement soon!

I'll definitely check this log often. Good luck everyone!

-Miranda

MemberMember
(@allierose)

Posted : 09/22/2015 9:54 pm

4 days down!

Day 3

-some new cysts on my upper back. I cannot wait to be able to say those are gone!!!

-a random tiny zit appeared and came to a head within maybe six hours, just below my nose. It popped pretty easily.

Day 4

-back still terrible as per usual

-a fairly big cyst formed at the base of my neck overnight. It hasn't come to a head and I'm not sure if it will. It's mostly just pretty painful but I put some tretinoin cream on it so hopefully that goes away soon.

-there isn't a mark left from that tiny popped zit under my nose, which is a relief.

A friend of mine was on isotretinoin a couple of years ago so she's given me a ton of support with this! Grateful to have someone who's experienced all the side effects before to coach me through this.

MemberMember
(@allierose)

Posted : 09/26/2015 10:11 pm

Day 5

-the pimple on my neck has almost come to a head. I made the dumb mistake of trying to pop it and only succeeded in making it really swollen. Luckily it was right before bed anyways.

-back the same. No new cysts but a ton of dark marks as per usual.

Day 6

-starting to get some joint pain and also in my shins

Day 7 - One week down!

-skin and lips are getting really dry!

MemberMember
(@allierose)

Posted : 10/01/2015 3:59 pm

Day 8 - 9/26

-still dealing with the dry lips :/

Day 9 - 9/27

-some new cysts on middle/lower back

Day 10 - 9/28

-skin hasn't changed much

-had some stomach pains today, but that might be PMS

Day 11 - 9/29

-stomach pains were pretty bad at times today. Think it might be gas? Not sure.

Day 12 - 9/30

-two new zits on nose, both on left side. Not too big.

-some new ones on my chest too

-stomach still bugging me. Think it might be my period. Who knows.

Day 13 - 10/1

-stomach pain has dissipated a little but is definitely still there. :/

-still dealing with dry lips but i have some good chapstick that is working very well

mcgrocks liked
MemberMember
(@allierose)

Posted : 10/07/2015 4:47 pm

Yikes I am terrible at updating this.

Anyways, the past week has been like this: (10/2-10/7) *through Day 19*
-random stomach pains that last for less than a minute. Random times during the day, different spots on my abdomen. (???)
-dry lips making me crazy!!! I use the Medline Remedy Phytoplex balm and it really has been helping me. My brother is also currently on Accutane, but doesn't like using the lip balm at school since it gives his lips a sort-of shine so he is stubborn and only uses it at home. And he wonders why his lips nearly bleed when he opens his mouth??
-acne on my back is still terrible, and usually painful to touch
-face has calmed down - that might be birth control helping.
-did get a few little zits on my chin and side of my nose but nbd

Can't believe I'm getting close to one month down!

MemberMember
(@allierose)

Posted : 10/12/2015 6:21 pm

Day 23:
-noticing some pimples popping up by my mouth and a random one on the side of my cheek

Day 24: (10/12)
-much of the same - dry lips, back is bad, face is getting worse :(

MemberMember
(@allierose)

Posted : 10/19/2015 8:27 pm

Day 28: 10/16
-first check up with my dermatologist
-she said she's pleased with my fast response!
-I'm not convinced this isn't just the birth control helping with acne but I'm not going to complain
-overall still very dry lips and skin

Day 31: 10/19
-finished my first month yesterday!!!
-got a voicemail from the derm saying my blood work was a little funky but when I called back they had closed for the day. It couldn't have been too serious though because I was still told to get my prescription, AND I've been upped to 30 mg twice a day now. I have also been switched from Claravis to Zenatane, although I'm not sure why.

MemberMember
(@woundedwarrior)

Posted : 10/19/2015 10:08 pm

Stick with it, it completely cured my acne and I had some of the worst skin you could ever see. I responded really well, about 30 days and I was clear. It's been three years now and I'm still cured. I couldn't live without Carmex on my lips lol

MemberMember
(@allierose)

Posted : 10/25/2015 9:05 pm

Day 32: 10/20
-turns out my blood work showed that my cholesterol and triglycerides were a little high. Doc wasn't concerned, just told me to limit fatty foods, etc.

Day 37: 10/25
-there is an annoying zit on the side of my nose that just will not go away
-also a fairly sizable one on my chin. Is this the increase in acne I was warned about?
-lips dry as always but now my face is really starting to flake :/

MemberMember
(@allierose)

Posted : 11/04/2015 11:13 am

Day 46: 11/3
-been dealing with dryer skin lately
-got a pretty bad bloody nose randomly while I was brushing my teeth---didn't last more than a few minutes
-that zit on the side of my nose is finally going away

MemberMember
(@allierose)

Posted : 11/18/2015 9:44 pm

Goodness, today was my 2-month mark! Just waiting for the lab results before I can refill the prescription.

This month I noticed my acne starting to flare up a lot more. Nothing that lasted very long besides a horrible one on my nose that I swear was there for weeks.

Also plenty of dry lips, hands, and skin, especially on my face. Also dry eyes and little bloody noses, but only from one side.