Notifications
Clear all

My Accutane Log! 18 Male

MemberMember
(@icyhotgel)

Posted : 07/30/2015 10:00 pm

First post and beginning to my log!

All started 6 years ago in middle school where I was walking around with a gigantic "facial granuloma" to the right of my nose. Thought it was a simple pimple like I had usually been getting, but this one bled MANY times and did not go away even after several months. Had to rock a circular bandaid every day, until my parents finally took me to get it surgically removed.

Now for the regular stuff. Small bumps and blackheads pretty much cover my T-zone (there are so many on my nose that the picture did not capture). My right cheek was practically clear until recently, where I got 3 side-by-side pustules and deep blackheads that left some nasty scars. Left cheek is the worst, I had a bunch of cysts there that also scarred (the huge mass of red marks), new pustules just keep popping up. My chin area started clearing up after I started growing the goatee, but there are these little white bumps practically everywhere on my soulpatch area. Ultimately not a day goes by without agonizing over my acne, countless hours wasted at the mirror, avoiding bright lights, skipping work, avoiding friends, the list can go on and on. My dad had bad acne as a kid and still has some scars that never quite healed, so I got lucky with genetics too... I'm Indian, so my diet has always been chock full of oily, fried, spicy foods that sure aren't helping. Some treatments I've tried:

• BP 10%: way too strong, made my face extremely red and flared up my acne. I went to see my grandparents the day after and my grandma flat-out refused to kiss my cheek like she always does because of this :(
  • Salicylic acid or BP 2.5% spot treatment: no real effect. In fact, Sensodyne toothpaste worked better for me lol.
  • Clindamycin/Tretinoin/Differin Gels: Clindamycin+Differin did nothing, Tretinoin had the same result as BP 10%. Used these two for 1.5 years HOPING they'd kick in, but gave them up soon enough.
  • Doxycycline/Minocycline: took 'em for 5-6 months. No effect.

I finally decided it was enough and went to see a dermatologist, who prescribed me 40mg/day accutane for my moderate but persistent acne. Starting this log to monitor my progress. Today was day 1 and I took my first pill.

Current regimen is:

• Warm/cold alternating shower in morning
  • Cetaphil gentle cleanser 1x/day
  • ACV (1 part water 1 part ACV) to tone 1x/day
  • Vaseline Moisturizer whenever I feel extra dry

post-481701-0-75191000-1438311176.jpg

post-481701-0-68071100-1438311184.jpg

post-481701-0-72700500-1438311193.jpg

post-481701-0-84157700-1438311200.jpg

post-481701-0-09277600-1438311206.jpg

MemberMember
(@icyhotgel)

Posted : 07/31/2015 10:49 am

Beginning of day 2! Minor lower back pain and some discomfort in my legs today, don't know if that's just me being sore from the gym yesterday or the 'tane. I take my pill once a day right after dinner. Nothing else to report.

Will be posting updated pics weekly.

MemberMember
(@jacob04370)

Posted : 07/31/2015 11:47 am

Best of luck on your journey with Accutane! Don't get discouraged by the initial breakout, it could get a lot worse before it starts getting better (where I'm at right now).

If you start to have joint pain I would recommend drinking more water. Even if you already make it a priority, more water will help a lot. Also I would recommend fish oil, while I haven't purchased it myself (going to the store today) numerous people on the forum and my friends in real life highly recommend it.

Also, keeping chapstick on your person at all times will do wonders for you.