Notifications
Clear all

Beginning Accutane Again Round 2

MemberMember
(@versace9)

Posted : 05/08/2014 2:29 pm

I'm about a month into my second round of accutane and I could not be more frustrated!

I had normal teenage skin all through high school and college (breakouts every now and then but nothing too serious) but when I hit 25 my skin went haywire. I broke out with cystic acne everywhere! It was a nightmare trying to break into the professional world and get my first job with my skin at its absolute worst. I look pretty young as it is (people always think I'm 16- I'm actually 27) and the acne definitely didn't help things. And of course, it made me a bit self conscious.

My derm at the time suggested accutane after we exhausted every topical cream and antibiotic known to man. I was on accutane for 6 months, 40mg twice a day. Since the cysts were started to cause scarring, I was especially frantic to do something and get rid of my acne before it caused irreparable damage. That round of accutane (I took amnesteem, to be specific) was a dream. I almost no side effects- only occassional dryness on my lips and around my mouth. My acne even cleared up with the first 30 days- I mean, totally gone! And it stayed clear for over a year after the treatment ended until....this past February, where it came roaring back WORSE then ever ;(

I was hoping, for better or worse, that it was dermatitis or something else...anything other than my cystic acne! I tried natural supplement, herbs,etc to no avail. My new derm (I changed cities) suggested I go on accutane again and that perhaps I wasn't on it long enough before. He also suggested that the generic (amnesteem) may not have absorbed properly. I'm a fitness instructor and a devoted weight lifter, I eat extremely low fat and high protein- evidently fat is essential to helping the drug absorb.

I'm a month in my second round of accutane (I'm on Zenatane) and I'm experiencing a pretty intense IB (at least I hope that's what it is!!). I was hoping I'd clear up in 30 days like last time, but no. I'm trying to be patient but I'm not seeing any progress. And do you any of you get fed up with the "friendly" suggestions you get? I've been told to try carrot juice, oatmeal, yogurt, calendula oil, etc, that my acne is just caused by stress and that it will "go away" if I relax. Oh, and my favorite, that my body is "releasing toxins". Are you kidding me? I eat the cleanest diet ever! It is SO frustrating! Obviously if it was that easy to cure my acne it'd be cured by now. I guess you can't relate until you go through it.

Sorry for the long rant...I was so spoiled with beautiful skin for a year that I can't bare looking like this ;/ I'm being a whiner- I know! I have faith that it will clear up one way or another. Anyone else out there had multiple rounds of accutane??

I hope you're all doing well...hang in there!!

MemberMember
(@kim0728)

Posted : 05/11/2014 11:19 pm

Lots of luck! I'm starting my second month, and things have been going great. Bad IB first month at 40 mg, nothing happening so far on 60 mg (knock on wood). I eat extremely clean and exercise regularly, and I try to take Accutane when I have olive oil on my salad, walnuts, peanut butter, salmon, etc. Hang in there!