Notifications
Clear all

Another Accutane Journey...

MemberMember
(@purplecloud)

Posted : 02/20/2014 9:38 pm

Hello everybody!

Like many others, I have been coming to this site for a while without actually signing up. I finally decided to spend all of 30 seconds to register.

I am a 25 year old female whose weight averages anywhere from 130-135 lbs. the last time I had a completely clear and flawless complexion was probably when I was 10 or perhaps 11.

**IF YOU WANT TO SKIP LIFE STORY AND JUMP STRAIGHT TO ACCUTANE INFO, FIND THE SEPARATION Stars like these ones***********************************************************

At 12 I started getting forehead pimples and by the time I was 14 my forehead was a gigantic mess. The rest of my face was pretty clear though. My forehead didn't clear up until I became pregnant at 19 and my skin was doing great during that period of time. It still wasn't flawless though.

After I had my son, my acne started creeping up on me but this time it didn't really affect my forehead. It affected my cheeks, jaw, and neck. Oh, I forgot to mention, I have always since I can remember the first (flare-ups) had a "mess" of a back. Full of pimples, scars, hyperpigmentation... Just awful!

Even at this point, my back probably looks its worst. I have NEVER been able to "wear" my back bare. I have always planned any shirt that shows my back with hair down that will cover it. Even for my wedding dress, I couldn't do the up-do that I wanted because of my back.

I don't even know how it would feel to be able to wear anything I want without worrying about acne on my back.

Anyways.... That was quite the intro!!! ^_^

***************HERE*********************

I just completed my first month on isotretinoin. I'm taking amnesteem and I started at 20mg twice a day; so 40 mg/day. And just today took my first 40mg pill twice a day. So I will be taking 80mg/day.

I am pretty scared to up the amount. I'm starting to feel how I felt the first time I took accutane. The first time I put the pill in my mouth. For me, it felt like the point of no return! Ha-ha

My "regular" skin is super oily but on accutane it is pretty dry. I have liked it so far because I have never had dry skin and thought it was pretty cool that my make up would stay the same at the end of the day whereas it usually just melts away with all the blotting I have to do.

Until 2 days ago when I started having dry patches that are kinda flaky but nothing really major.

My eyes have bothered me quite a bit. They feel constantly dry and overall uncomfortable. I have bought two eye drops and one really sucks ( makes my eye sting which defeats the purpose) and the other one offers very temporary relief.

My lips haven't really been a problem. I bought a bunch of different balms and sticks because I heard of Chelitis and all but they have been ONLY slightly dryer than usual. Perhaps that will change now that I am going to a higher dose.

Also, my hair is pretty dry and I don't even have to wash it as much. BUT it has become very very brittle. It is seriously freaking me out how brittle it is. I permed it myself and perhaps shouldn't have while on accutane. And it looks like those two together REALLY damaged my hair. That is the main thing than I'm worried about going into this higher dose.

I also have had very mild right-hip bone pain. That comes and goes sporadically.

And my first blood test showed a slightly elevated ALT.

As far as the acne itself. I'm not even sure if I had an initial break out I had like very tiny bumps on the sides of my face like a week into it but that went away within a day or two. I have had a few cysts on my neck and jaw. And one or two very small pimples on my face. So my face is definitely smoother. I have many, many blackheads on my cheeks and chin and some whiteheads on my chin. And a BUNCH of dark brown spots. My complexion is medium brown.

As for my back, I keep getting cysts. Right now I have probably about 3 or 4 active cysts. About 10 smaller miscellaneous pimples and about a million dark spots.

Right now I wash my face with cetaphil morning and night.

Morning I used to moisturize with Dan's regimen moisturizer but felt like my skin needed way more moisture than that and bought the Cera ve moisturizer cream. And I add sunblock spf50. I alternate. I don't like any of the ones I have but I have quite a few so I'll use them up.

Night time: I wipe my makeup off With a makeup wipe and wash apply plenty of Cera ve moisturizer. I have been adding maracuja oil by tarte and maracuja oil eye cream. Then, I figured I'd try something that would help my dark spots while on accutane. Something that wasn't too abrasive. And then, 3 days ago, I bought the palmers cocoa butter oil to add to my night time. I have only used it once. So we'll see.....