Notifications
Clear all

28 Year Old Male Log

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 10/29/2013 10:51 am

I just received a call saying my prescription is available for pick up. I have dealt with acne since I was 13. It has always been minor, so I wasn't too worried about it growing up. People used to say you will grow out of it, but that never happened. So at 28 I finally decided after trying almost everything to try accutane. I will be starting with 60mg. I am about to go to the gym, then I will pick it up. I might have to wait a bit to start it due to the fact that my next DR appointment isn't until the 3rd of dec. I want to make sure I am not missing days waiting for the Drs appointment. I will be posting a little more than a couple of times a week. Here goes nothing.

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 10/29/2013 2:25 pm

I will start on the 3rd of Nov. The only concerns I have is hair loss and aches. Maybe dry skin, but hopefully lotion can help with that. I workout 3-5 times a week with weights so I am wondering how my body will respond to that. On the plus side a month of this stuff only cost me 10 bucks so I couldn't be happier. I knew it was going to be cheap when my derm didn't mention a price. I didn't think it would be this cheap.

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 10/30/2013 3:31 am

Ok I cracked and started taking 30 mg of it. I will take that until the 9th of novemeber.Then jump to 60mg I prolly should of waited til the 3rd, but oh well. I took it with a big meal. My stomach was hurting about an hr or 2 afterwards, but didn't last long. Might not be the medicine.

MemberMember
(@igotyouu)

Posted : 10/30/2013 9:40 am

The first pill is always harsh for the stomach. I had really bad stomach pain ~4 hours after the first pill was popped - so dont worry.

Good luck with your course by the way. Since you have chosen to do Accutane for minor acne is it because you want to "kill" it once for all?

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 10/31/2013 10:14 am

The first pill is always harsh for the stomach. I had really bad stomach pain ~4 hours after the first pill was popped - so dont worry.

Good luck with your course by the way. Since you have chosen to do Accutane for minor acne is it because you want to "kill" it once for all?

Thanks. Yeah that's probably the best way to describe it. Kill it once and for all. My face also gets oily as well. I just can't remember a time where my skin has been 100 percent clear and healthy looking. I figured now is the time

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 11/01/2013 1:27 pm

Just took my 4th pill at 30 mg. Oh man here it comes. My face is just ready for a full force breakout. I have a feeling it will be pretty bad in the next few weeks. Especially when I start taking 60 mg. I am still washing my face with a BP wash I have. I haven't been doing the spot treatment. Not really experiencing any side effects. My hair is fine. My lips arent chapped. Did my 5 day a week weight lifting routine with no trouble. I have been drinking so much more water lately so maybe that is helping.

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 11/04/2013 12:29 am

I don't have long hair, but I have noticed whenever I take zinc I would shed hairs in the shower. Not a lot maybe 10-20 or so. Taking this has resulted in the same thing. Shedding about 10-20 hairs in the shower. Not a big deal. I can def put up with it for now. If it becomes more than this I will probably get off this medication. Also my face is red. I didn't use the BP wash so maybe that will help some. Dry lips aren't that bad. I usually never use chapstick and this is a normal feeling for me. I am sure things are going to be different the 9th when I double the dose.

MemberMember
(@rooth)

Posted : 11/04/2013 4:35 pm

Hi!

Similar boat here, I'm not sure if any of this nuclear-level medication will work but, meh.

You may want to avoid anything but the gentlest lotions and cleansers, BP is usually too harsh on accutane. I just started my course around the same time. Dunno if we have the same type of acne though. Good luck! I'll be keeping an eye out.

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 11/05/2013 11:59 pm

Hi!

Similar boat here, I'm not sure if any of this nuclear-level medication will work but, meh.

You may want to avoid anything but the gentlest lotions and cleansers, BP is usually too harsh on accutane. I just started my course around the same time. Dunno if we have the same type of acne though. Good luck! I'll be keeping an eye out.

Yeah who knows. There's just nothing else to try. I have cut back on the BP big time. Thanks. Good luck to you as well. It's nice that there is a community out there to support each other while we go through something like this.

Still taking 30 mg a day. Its getting colder where I am at right now so that is affecting my lips. Nothing major. I still don't have any problems working out. The biggest thing I have noticed is my night vision is not the same. Never thought that would be the major side effect I have noticed. I work the night shift so driving into work has been interesting. Nothing unsafe, just have to focus a little more when I drive.

I prolly should post a pic. I just don't want other members coming at me saying my acne isn't bad enough for this drug. But when you're 28 and have always had spots on your face one is bad enough. Interested to see what 60 mg will do to me. Mentally I feel fine. Hope it stays the same because I can handle the vision and my lips slightly chapped.

MemberMember
(@igotyouu)

Posted : 11/06/2013 9:16 am

Feel free to post a picture. That way you can always look back and see the improvement your face has gone through after the course.

It can be your acne is nothing compared to other members here, but if its affecting you, your choice about taking Accutane is completely understandable.

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 11/12/2013 12:29 am

So it's been my 4th day on 60 mg. I have cut back on my workouts starting this week to just 4 days a week of weight training. I haven't noticed being more sore or anything like that. No issues with my back. There's always a few hairs in the tub after I shower. Nothing major. I just wont get a haircut for a while I guess. If it gets worse I might stop. I will talk to my derm about it when I see him again. My chin would get flake up when I was on 30 mg from the dryness, slowing but surely it's expanding to my cheeks. My lips are a little more chapped than when I was on 30mg. They bleed a little bit today, but that's because I was biting them when I was working out. My acne is fading at a snails pace on my cheeks. My neck acne is unchanged. The major thing I have noticed is I am not as oily, which was one of the major problems I had. I didn't or haven't gone through the purge yet so that's good news. I haven't had a drink either, which has been nice.

Mentally I feel fine. No major issues. The night vision problem has stayed the same with the 60 mg. I know some people get depressed on this drug, but so far I haven't noticed any changes. I was really tired the first couple of days I went to 60, but I think that might be my body adjusting. I have also worked the last 8 out of 9 nights so that might have something to do with it. Maybe I am just getting lucky and I don't want to jinx myself, but I have found no major issues with this drug so far. I hope I don't have to do more than 60 mg and maybe in a week or so I might be changing my tune, but right now so far so good.

MemberMember
(@lovelouisv)

Posted : 11/13/2013 2:56 pm

I'll be on the 60mg throughout the duration of my course, so I'm interested to see how you do on it! Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 11/18/2013 5:27 am

No changes. My face dried out yesterday, put some lotion and I was fine. My lips are still chapped. Not a big deal at all.

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 11/24/2013 12:53 am

No major changes. Face is a little red. Not a big deal. So far so good. Looking forward to see what the Dr and the blood work says.

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 11/25/2013 4:51 am

developed a minor case of Eczema. I have some scabs on my hand and up my arm. It isn't very noticeable. I just noticed it this morning. I will be going to the store to pick up some cream.

MemberMember
(@lovelouisv)

Posted : 11/25/2013 10:34 am

Oh no!! Sorry to hear about the eczema. Hope you get some good products for it. I've heard that Aveeno Baby Eczema (specifically the kind for babies!!!) is very gentle and effective. So maybe give that a try?

Thanks for the updates and good luck!! :)

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 11/25/2013 9:13 pm

Oh no!! Sorry to hear about the eczema. Hope you get some good products for it. I've heard that Aveeno Baby Eczema (specifically the kind for babies!!!) is very gentle and effective. So maybe give that a try?

Thanks for the updates and good luck!! smile.png

Thanks. I got cortizone 10 for Eczema. If that doesn't work Ill try the Aveeno. Thanks for the recommendation. It sorta came out of nowhere, I looked down and it was all over my hand.

Went to the gym today and man it was a struggle. Maybe it's the medicine maybe it's me working 5 nights in a row, whatever the case I didn't want to be there at all. My face looks fine just a few minor blemishes on the left side of my face. Not a big deal at all.

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 12/09/2013 5:56 am

No real updates. Had a meeting with my Dr. We are going to continue at 60 mg. He was happy that my face hasn't gotten any worse. The cream I used for my hands helped with the eczema. That went away in a couple of days. No real problems other than the dry lips. Also, the inside of my nose scabs up a little bit. Not a big deal. So far so good.

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 12/24/2013 2:09 am

Man this stuff must be kicking in because I have no energy anymore. I am always tired. I never want to workout. Mentally I feel fine. Physically I am just worn out. I will say this. It is amazing to see my skin look better without me having to put stuff on my face all the time.

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 12/29/2013 12:00 pm

I forgot to add this. About two weeks ago I had the most painful bowel movements I have ever had in my life. I had about 4 really painful ones that week. I am talking world felt like it was ending stuff. Since then I have been fine. I just never felt anything like that before. I will meet with my Dr on the 3rd. This time I will have a lot more questions and things to say than last time.

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 01/03/2014 1:38 pm

Met with my Dr. It was a pretty annoying conversation. I let him know I have no desire to workout and that I have been losing weight. Of course he doesn't blame the medicine. I think he is full of it. The side effects aren't bad enough to come off of it, but don't tell me the medicine isn't causing these side effects.

MemberMember
(@informedplot)

Posted : 01/10/2014 5:33 am

My face has been pretty red lately. I haven't been using lotion so I will start to do that before I go to bed and see if that makes a difference,

MemberMember
(@astarte)

Posted : 01/23/2014 1:06 pm

Met with my Dr. It was a pretty annoying conversation. I let him know I have no desire to workout and that I have been losing weight. Of course he doesn't blame the medicine. I think he is full of it. The side effects aren't bad enough to come off of it, but don't tell me the medicine isn't causing these side effects.

I'm due to start on accutane soon and my doctor said that some people experience a lack of energy and find it more difficult to concentrate, like their 'get up and go' has got up and gone! So you're most likely right - it is a side effect of the drug. Not sure about the weight loss though, they didn't mention that. Hang in there! rolleyes.gif