Notifications
Clear all

Whitney On Accutane Part 2

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 06/06/2013 11:26 am

Deja Vu! It's almost 2 years to the day that I started my first accutane log.

I have decided to log my second round of accutane on this site because my first log was so positive and uplifting for me as well as others who were going through their courses. I hope to have those same great vibes with this log as well. Don't get me wrong, I had posts that were simply "FML, I want to quit, this isn't working, hurry up already" posts where I just had to vent to get everything out, but that's when the most uplifting happened. I love this site.

I have also started a blog on this site in hopes to talk about skin care and beauty and life that doesn't necessarily pertain specifically to accutane but to those of us who struggle with acne in general.

So a little background if you don't want to go back and read all of the entries of my previous log (although I suggest reading the first post):

I am now 24 years old. I have had acne since I was 12 or 13. I've tried proactive, birth control, antibiotics, retin-a, creams, foams, skittles, m&ms, bubbles, rainbows,and sunshine. They all kinda worked but none worked perfectly or actually fixed the cause of the acne so when I would stop using them, the acne would come back..usually with a vengeance. So finally after going to the dermatologist for about 6 months or so, I was put on accutane due to persistent acne. My acne has never been severe. It's always been moderate to mild on my face chest and back depending on what day of the month and what I was using on it.

I had a pretty good experience with accutane, My body reacted well to it. The only side effects I had were headaches and pink lips. Believe it or not, I never really had dry dry skin while on it. I was totally clear and had flawless skin by the time I got off of it and stayed clear for about 8 months post accutane.

Long story short, after being on a 6 month course and having flawless skin for a while, my acne started to come back. I think I have been dealing with a bit of stress acne as well as just plain ole teen acne and a bunch of clogged pores for about 8 months now.

The thing that triggered the call to the dermatologist happened about 2 weeks ago, One day I realized I hadn't left my apartment in days and it was because I didn't want anyone to see me. Lately I've been getting more comments on the state of my skin from the people in my life and it really affected me. I have always been one to be perfectly fine with going places without makeup and glasses and wearing my natural hair in it's natural state being absolute natural me.. but I didn't even realize I was becoming depressed and avoiding social events because of my face.

I have been using an acne clearing face wash in conjunction with my Clarisonic Mia 2. I noticed a pretty decent improvement but after about 3 months, the improvement stopped and I realized that was a good as my face was going to get. That's when I started to get pretty bummed out. I talked to my boyfriend about it, he suggested I go to the dermatologist and see about getting back on accutane.

So here I am!

I mentioned deja vu earlier because it was 2 years ago that I started by first log/course and I am in a very similar situation as the last time. During my first course, I was on the verge of completing my last semester of college and going through stress of doing off campus clinic and taking the last classes (6) and applying to grad schools and just all the stress that goes along with life. Fast forward 2 years and I am on the verge of completing my last requirements to graduate with my master's degree which includes starting my off campus internship, passing my comprehensive exams, and applying for licenses and certifications and finding a place to do my fellowship...along with the stresses of life.. WEIRD!

I think I did a pretty good job at updating my log last time and I gained so much info and received so much encouragement from the log.

Here we go again!

I will likely log and post each of my posts on my blog and add some other things. So feel free to follow the blog if you're interested in those other things. =)

My posts will not be this long (maybe they will, but they won't be longer). Who likes to read? Not me!

-Whitney

Pictures! At the dermatologist's office yesterday (was using the front facing camera. Sorry for the lack of detail.)

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 07/11/2013 6:15 pm

Update

I still have not started my course of accutane yet. I had my dermatologist appointment Monday and was put on 20mg for my first month. (I am 24 years old 115lbs) Did this to allow my body to acclimate to the meds before being bumped to a higher dosage. This is old news. We all know or heard this before. I had the prescription filled that same day but have decided not to start until this upcoming Monday. I'm doing this because last time I had a few problems getting appointments before 30 days had passed and a few problems finding a pharmacy with the meds in stock. Soo.. I'm just giving myself a little cushion. I am really not totally excited about starting at such a low dosage.. I was hoping to be able to cut this course down to 4 months.. I feel like 20mg for a month is just a wasted month. I felt like that during my first course as well. BUT I'm still going with it because 1. I have no choice 2. I am much less oily this time around and 3. What do I know..I didn't go to school for this. I had really wonderful results last time with NO scarring or really crazy breakouts sooo hey, this is probably a good thing.

I was told that I will get bumped up to 40mg next time, so I'm guessing I will be on the same course as last time.

This is already very different for me. I don't have that eagerness or anxiousness or even impatience that was there at the start of my first course..but that's to be expected.

That's all for this update. Here's some pics from my dermatologist's office. It was very early in the morning and I was up babysitting until 2am. I needed some coffee badly. Can you tell? As far as my acne, I was given a bunch of spot treatment samples the last time I was there which I have been using on everything that has been popping up and it has been working. My face is going through a bit of a random dry phase right now. I am nearly finished with my SA face wash and will be switching back to my tried and true CeraVe foaming cleanser.

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 07/29/2013 9:59 pm

Month 1: Day 14

First, let's start with pictures.

My face is soooooo itchy! My face looks horrible.. it's that kind of horrible that make up can't hide. These bumps just all over my skin.. I just hate this part. I really have nothing else to report. I guess that's what took me so long to update. I was waiting for something interesting to happen. And here it is. My face is just itching away. And I'm scratching.. and I almost don't care about the scratching.

I started about 6 or 7 days late to give myself a cushion for appointment or medicine mishaps. My appointment is on the 8th.

My lips are getting kinda dry but are not chapped. I am using C.O. Bigelow's rose salve and it's just amazing right now for me. Loving it... But lips on 20mg are quite different from lips on 40mg or 60mg so we'll see how long that lasts.

I have not bought a new moisturizer and I need to. Can't decide between cerave and cetaphil. I just don't know. I used cerave during my last round and it worked really well but my derm told me that the moisturizer I'm using right now (cerave AM) may be why my skin isn't great right now. Idk. What to do? What to do?! haha Honestly I don't really care. You can slap anything on your face while on accutane and it won't make a difference in your acne.. I'm not using either one of those when I get off accutane this time.

I've bee taking swimming lessons while on this stuff.. Not the best situation. I have tan lines.. Not the best situation.

I'm wearing globs of liquid make up to ensure the sun does not touch my face. I had really bad discoloration from sun exposure last time so I'm doing everything in my power to avoid this. Umbrellas, scarves, long sleeves.. still wearing shorts though because my legs are pale!

I'm rambling about unimportant stuff.

I hope everyone is doing well.

-Whitney

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/29/2013 11:30 pm

For your fa lotion use CeraVe moisturizing cream in the tub!! It is great and I'd die if I could get my hands on some. I used CeraVe foaming face cleanser and the CeraVe cream in the tub during my accutane course last year and let me tell you it was a dream with those two products and I'll never give them up. The lips were the hard part to control. But the dry skin I had under control with the CeraVe cream ..

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 07/29/2013 11:46 pm

I feel you girl! My face is itching too. I didn't have this on my first round.

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 07/31/2013 6:51 pm

For your fa lotion use CeraVe moisturizing cream in the tub!! It is great and I'd die if I could get my hands on some. I used CeraVe foaming face cleanser and the CeraVe cream in the tub during my accutane course last year and let me tell you it was a dream with those two products and I'll never give them up. The lips were the hard part to control. But the dry skin I had under control with the CeraVe cream ..

Yes! I will definitely try the tub. I don't particularly love Cetaphil and I'm not very happy with the CeraVe right now either just because I think it was contributing to my breakouts. I'm a lot less oily this time though and I can actually see the decrease in oil production already with a 20mg dosage, so I know I will need something more moisturizing this times vs the last. Thanks for the suggestion. I too love the foaming cleanser. It's kinda perfection right?

Weird right? I was trying to see if I was having an allergic reaction to something I ate or used on my face but there's nothing new I introduced to my body recently. I did use a face powder instead of a liquid foundation the day it started to itch but I've used that powder before with no problems so I really don't think it was that. It's feeling a lot better now though. Stay hydrated! It itchy skin could just be due to the skin being tight and dry. Who knows! Everything is different this time around. I'm dryer on 20mg. I'm kinda dreading the bump up to 40mg. Are you on the same course as last time or did your Dr. start on on 40mg because you are on your second course? I'm still kinda bummed my Dr. started me on 20mg again, but I see a different person every time I go and I don't think he actually knew that this was my second course.

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 07/31/2013 7:15 pm

Weird right? I was trying to see if I was having an allergic reaction to something I ate or used on my face but there's nothing new I introduced to my body recently. I did use a face powder instead of a liquid foundation the day it started to itch but I've used that powder before with no problems so I really don't think it was that. It's feeling a lot better now though. Stay hydrated! It itchy skin could just be due to the skin being tight and dry. Who knows! Everything is different this time around. I'm dryer on 20mg. I'm kinda dreading the bump up to 40mg. Are you on the same course as last time or did your Dr. start on on 40mg because you are on your second course? I'm still kinda bummed my Dr. started me on 20mg again, but I see a different person every time I go and I don't think he actually knew that this was my second course.

-

I was on 40mg last time and am on the same this time as well. Not sure if there's a reason why, I am with a different doctor. But yeah I agree with you that everything's worse this time around. Was thinking it was because this is Clarvis and not Amnesteem but maybe it's just because it's a second dose. I don't know if that makes sense but maybe so!

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 07/31/2013 7:33 pm

I was on 40mg last time and am on the same this time as well. Not sure if there's a reason why, I am with a different doctor. But yeah I agree with you that everything's worse this time around. Was thinking it was because this is Clarvis and not Amnesteem but maybe it's just because it's a second dose. I don't know if that makes sense but maybe so!

Yeah Claravis and Amnesteen are pretty much the same thing and I used Claravis for my first round and this round and noticing differences with this course already. I'm thinking it's the second dose factor. I mean, this isn't the same skin as last time. The accutane definitely did something to my skin or changed it in some type of way ya know?

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 07/31/2013 11:54 pm

Yeah Claravis and Amnesteen are pretty much the same thing and I used Claravis for my first round and this round and noticing differences with this course already. I'm thinking it's the second dose factor. I mean, this isn't the same skin as last time. The accutane definitely did something to my skin or changed it in some type of way ya know?

Very good point! Just wishing I could see improvement soon! But I know it hasn't been long enough yet.

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 08/20/2013 10:55 pm

Month 2: Day 6

Well, hello.

I feel like I've been neglecting this log. I will get back to updating once a week.

Life happens.

My face is calming down. Still waiting for that accutane vampire looking skin. I'm at this lame stage where stuff is still getting pushed out but I'm not at a high enough dosage to have it actually come completely out, so i'm walking around with a bunch of extremely visible clogged pores.

My dermatologist appointment was on August 8. I was seen by yet another doctor who didn't know I was on my second course. I was bumped up to 40mg a day. My face is responding well to the increase. I've had no legit actives this month and I'm at the break out point of the month, so it looks like I survived it.

I was about to tell y'all that my face seems to be less dry with less flaky skin but as I type, I'm realizing it may be due to fact that I'm usually much oilier during this time of the month.. so.. who knows. That does not change the fact that my skin seems to agree more with higher dosage. Of course, I'm only 6 days in so..

I am off my course day count because I slept through a dose and just took it in the morning with breakfast when I woke up. I purposefully waited 5 days after my initial dermatologist appointment to begin my course to give myself a little wiggle room thanks to lessons learned during the first course. (I recommend this for everyone. The waiting is awful but skipping days isn't the best either.) I am now going to have 3 days wiggle room after my appointment which is on Sept. 10.

During this most recent visit, the dermatologist told me that I will be on a 6 month course just to increase the chances of it sticking and will bump me up to 60mg next time. She seems to have a more aggressive approach to accutane courses than the other doctors. Still in all though, this is going to be the same course as last time y'all and it didn't work. Anyone thinks she may bump me to 80mg for my last month or second to last month then lower back down to end the course????

That's all I have for now. I hope everyone is doing well.

-Whitney

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/21/2013 12:27 am

Your skin is looking better already!

MemberMember
(@brooklynqueen)

Posted : 08/31/2013 5:27 pm

Your skin is looking great ... And I LOVE your hair!

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 09/02/2013 9:18 pm

Your skin is looking better already!

I agree! It's definitely a different experience the second time around!

Your skin is looking great ... And I LOVE your hair!

Thank you!

MONTH 2: DAY 18

I always post the most flattering pictures..

There's no big update this time. I have a dermatologist appointment on the 10th. I'm sure I'll have something interesting to say. I will say that I've been slacking on the water intake and it kicked me in the butt recently. Drink plenty of water folks. When you think you've had enough water for the day, chug another bottle.

I have been continuing to use my Clarasonic Mia 2. I am still using the deep cleansing brush. I only use it for about 30 seconds instead of the full minute. I haven't been having a problem with peeling or flaking skin. My skin feels super soft. I'm definitely going to switch to the sensitive brush head when I get bumped up to 60mg. I may not use it at all. And the CeraVe moisturizer in the tub is amazing! Thank you Like Moonlight for the suggestion!

I did have one major active that lasted a good week or so that is only just now starting to go away. The clogged pores are for sure still there even though my face is so soft. I can't wait to get bumped up to 60mg so all of this stuff can go away.

That's all I have.

I hope everyone is doing well!

-Whitney

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 09/22/2013 1:33 am

Month 3: Day 7

Sorry y'all. I don't have pictures to show, but I will post some tomorrow. I had a dermatologist appointment on September 10 and was bumped up to 60mg daily. After a week on the higher dosage, I'm experiencing breakouts. This was to be expected. I'm actually happy this is happening. I have a bunch of clogged pores that have not budged because I have been on a low (for me) dosage for two months. I'll post pics tomorrow. Nothing new really to post except that my lips are getting dryers but nothing unbearable.

- Whitney

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 09/23/2013 12:27 am

Month 3: Day 8

Pictures as promised:

Close up

I haven't been experiencing any headaches or body aches and pains since the bump up in dosage. I've also not really seen any increased dryness. As I stated earlier, I have been breaking out which I am actually happy about. I'm ready for all of this junk to get out and move on!

I will say that I've kinda just been putting anything on my lips and I kinda like them all.

I've been using Burt's Bees lip shine in the darkest color they have because my lips are turning bright pink. =( This is a great lip color that is actually moisturizing. Word of caution: feels best on fully exfoliated lips. The C.O. Bigelow lip balm is pretty much like my Aquaphor alternative. On those days when I wake up disgruntled because I've forgotten to put something on my lips before bed and have "on the verge of" peeling lips (I know y'all know what I'm talking about), I grab that knowing that it will mask any peeling with easy and actually make them appear supple. And that LypSyl is amazing. It's still in the packaging because I was only just reminded by my boyfriend that it was my go to chapstick the first time around. The EOS is a "medicated" version of their other lip balms. I really have nothing bad to say about it but I've only used it tonight. If anyone is interested, I'll let you know. I'm hoping that this will be good under lipstick (I really don't like the color of my lips right now!) I'm kinda feeling like a product junkie right now, but it's only 4 over the course of 2 full months. I don't think that's horrible. I quit now though. I pretty much have something for every dilemma.

I'm actually still able to use my Clarasonic Mia 2. Still only using it for half the time. No irritation. I'm shocked. I should probably stop that soon. It's just so hard to let it go.

That's about it. I hope you've enjoyed this in-depth update on my current lip balms..haha I really don't know why this ended up being a post mostly about that, but I'm just going with it.

-Whit

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 09/25/2013 5:19 am

Just stopped by to say how utterly gorgeous you are and wish you luck with the 'tane. Your hair is beautiful.

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 09/25/2013 7:41 pm

Just stopping in- you're doing so well!!! I agree with the Clarisonic, you should probably quit. I sometimes feel that's what made my acne come back in the first place. It almost over cleans your face. But maybe if you only use it every other day or something.

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 09/29/2013 7:40 am

Just stopped by to say how utterly gorgeous you are and wish you luck with the 'tane. Your hair is beautiful.

Thank you! :)

Just stopping in- you're doing so well!!! I agree with the Clarisonic, you should probably quit. I sometimes feel that's what made my acne come back in the first place. It almost over cleans your face. But maybe if you only use it every other day or something.

Yeah, I think this is going to be my week of giving it up. :( I don't want to. But I'm thinking that using the Clarisonic may very well be the reason why my clogged pores won't go away, so I'll use this week to see if there's a difference.

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 09/29/2013 8:20 am

Month 3: Day 15 (?)

I've recently taken all of my remaining pills from their packaging and put them in a small pill bottle (covered in foil) because that dang Claravis packaging was beginning to be the bane of my existence. So...It's going to get harder to keep track of my days.. Might switch to weeks.

Well, you guys...

I don't really have a major update. SHOCKER! (read:sarcasm). The breakouts that started when I was bumped up are calming down pretty nicely. I really want to be bumped up one more time. I think I would like to get blood work done next time, and if all is well, maybe just throw a suggestion of 70mg out there... I'm a little scared of 80mg. I'm 5'1 115lbs. The only thing that's making me want my dosage increased is the fact that this course will be the exact same course as last time..which didn't work. I'm all for patience and I know that my skin will be completely clear in the next month or so (just as it was last time), but that didn't work. Just saying... And my skin isn't too dry. I'm still using my clarisonic with no irritation which is kinda weird.. Sooo yeah.. Any thoughts or suggestions about any of this would be great! I would love some input!

And to follow up on last week's post that was nearly completely dedicated to my lips, I can now say that I have found my lipstick/lip gloss and lip balm that does the trick.

I haven't felt the need to grab for a different lip balm since trying out EOS medicated. Does the trick and not shiny. It also has a pleasant tangerine taste. Very strange that I like it because I prefer no smell or taste to my lip products. Anyhoooo... As I've mentioned in previous posts, my lips are turning pink and I know it's only going to get worse. This was seriously the biggest annoyance of my previous course, so I really wanted to fix this problem before it started getting to me. AND THE PROBLEM IS FIXED! Hooray. I've found lipstick that I can wear with my accutane lips!

MAC lipstick + MAC lip gloss = supple, soft lips.. when I walked up to the MAC counter, I was starting to feel like my lips were getting a bit dry (I'd forgotten to reapply my chapstick because I was in the zone) and so I was very nervous to try lipsticks out with dry lips because that can be a mess. Nope. It was awesome and I kinda wish I'd never been introduced to it because MAC is expensive. =(

Before viewing this pics, please note that I'm wearing makeup.. Although it's pretty obvious because I pile that crap on. Anyhoo.. I love it.. going back to get a more neutral color next week!

That's all I have for today. I will not be talking about make up anymore. haha

-Whitney

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 10/25/2013 9:33 pm

Your skin is looking beautiful and I can tell that with the makeup on too!

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 12/15/2013 7:21 pm

Month 5 (!): Day 24

Y'all. I'm so very sorry for not updating this log. I've been having a rough few months..So rough that I had to defer my internships and graduation. No need to get into specifics, but I will say this: There are many warnings out there about accutane and depression. I have a history of depression and with all of the things that have been going on with me and my personal life, depression was not an issue. Accutane does not cause depression. Acne, avoidance, lowered self-esteem and other unfortunate things trigger depression. If you are reading this and are on the fence about accutane because of the depression warnings, just know that everyone is different. It may very well exasperate symptoms of depression with you, but chances are it won't. If sure this has been said many many times on here.

Now on to my face:

I always post the most flattering pictures!! =)

I'm about to start my 6th month and I'm still not completely clear. So strange to me. My cheeks are still filled with clogged pores. My dermatologist was going back and forth with the decision to bump me up or keep me the same for the last few visits. She said she wanted to bump me up to get everything out but I don't weigh enough for her to bump me up without concerns (I'm a solid 5'1 108lbs). Sooo I've stayed at 60mg this entire time. The same exact course I was on last time...Which didn't work. I've been kinda over this course since last month.. I'm kinda to the point where if this isn't going to get me completely clear before I get off it, it's definitely coming back in a few months..so at this point, I'm just taking it to enjoy these couple of months of skin that is pretty clear.

But here's the thing...

I haven't been on birth control during this course because I wanted to see if my acne was hormonal. When I got off of birth control last year, my acne started to come back.. Without me even telling my dermatologist about this, she prescribed me spiro this last visit because she's thinking that my acne is hormonal. Soo she said I'll take this low dose spiro (25mg) with my 60mg of accutane for this last month and then continue spiro after. We shall see if this works. I'm starting the spiro today.

That's all I have for today. I hope I can get back on track with this!!!

-Whitney