Notifications
Clear all

Trying Something Different(19M)

MemberMember
(@theswede)

Posted : 05/16/2013 3:38 pm

Background Info:

19 Male

So hi guys and girls of this forum, after lurking around for a while I decided to start my own thread here. I, like many users here have had acne for a long time and tried loads of stuff. It started when I was about 12-13 and gradually got worse leading to cysts when I was 15. Initially my routine consisted of only face washes but as it became clear that they had no effect my mom purchased alcohol solution in state pharmacy which got rid of pimples by effectively burning my skin, this made my face very red.... Combining this with BP creme when I was 16 just made it worse. When I was 17 I finally decided this enough and I need some medicine against this, so I was placed on antibiotics (tetralysal) for 2 years which whilst did improve my skin condition, did not eliminate the problem behind it and I would still get frequent pimples and cysts but at a smaller frequency. . . So this brings me to the last few weeks, after breaking out at University and reading around these forums I went to my local GP to get a prescription. The decision there was that I needed Roaccutane as my acne is at risk of causing permanent scarring. Instead of waiting over 1 month I decided to go private as I want this to be dealt with as rapidly as possible so after a few blood tests I was granted a prescription at the NHS for only £7.50 for 3 boxes of 20 mg Roaccutane.

Currently:

So this brings us to today.

Day 1-7: I have completed the first week of this medication and my face is incredibly dry and this initial breakout has caused over 15 new pimples on face. My back acne has not changed as is mildly better oddly enough. As I realize my current skin routine of Neutrogena daily clear is a bit to strong I have decided to after some research purchase some Cetaphil gentle wash and moisturizer. I will update this at least every 7 days or more frequent when time enables.

jX5jE29.jpg

Pic at start of prescription!

MemberMember
(@soulivan7)

Posted : 05/17/2013 11:51 am

Hey mate, good luck! How did you manage to get an nhs prescription privately?

MemberMember
(@theswede)

Posted : 05/18/2013 2:59 am

Cheers, I went to see a dermotologist privately as NHS had a long wait and he reccomended that I get the prescription from NHS as it makes financially more sense. I think you can ask your derm to do this also :)

MemberMember
(@theswede)

Posted : 05/18/2013 12:04 pm

Day 10: The initial breakout is at its peak now, my face hurts quite a lot as a result of the initial breakout and I have been having ache's in body for the last two days. Having thoughts about abandoning the treatment but reading other people's log make me realize the pain is worth it!

MemberMember
(@ruweyda)

Posted : 05/18/2013 12:18 pm

hey good luck mate all the best keep updating fingers crossed it works wonders for yucheer.gif

MemberMember
(@theswede)

Posted : 05/19/2013 8:41 am

Thank you for the kind words :)

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 05/19/2013 11:06 pm

Trust me, pull through it!! The initial breakout went away with me by day 30 and my skin was perfectly clear pretty much after that.

MemberMember
(@theswede)

Posted : 05/25/2013 2:13 pm

Thank you for the kind words, my initial breakout has now ended smile.png)

Day 17: Been a while since the last updates, been quite busy with final exams but now I have summer holiday. Reflecting on initial breakout I must say it was pretty bad. At its peak I had about 20 pimples on my face including one rather large one which made my right eye look a bit funky lol??!! Anyway i'm at day 17 now and do not have any white zits on my face atm, just a few old pimples and cysts which are slowly disappearing. Just 13 more days and I will up my dose to 40mg!

Initial breakout, I wasn't too keen on taking photos of this but here is a photo when it started getting milder.

pW77vPo.jpg

Current photo, I am quite red due to the fact that I am still using a quite harsh face wash, need to get that cetaphil stuff!

5qFClDg.jpg

People located in the United Kingdom: what face wash and moisturizer did you use whilst on accutane?

MemberMember
(@lhs211)

Posted : 05/25/2013 4:58 pm

Good luck on this journey theSwede :)

MemberMember
(@theswede)

Posted : 05/26/2013 11:43 am

Good luck on this journey theSwede smile.png

Thank you :) !

MemberMember
(@theswede)

Posted : 05/28/2013 4:37 am

Day 19: Still good no new pimples to report of, very dry skin and lots of flakyness. Received my cetaphil delivery so will stop using Neutrogena for now. I also got the bill for my doctor visit, £200 neutral.gif

MemberMember
(@theswede)

Posted : 06/30/2013 7:30 pm

Hey all :)

Day 54:

WOW, time really does fly fast. I can't believe it is already day 54! After the initial breakout during the first two weeks my skin is doing a lot better. This Accutane must be working wonders. I have not a single new zit or cyst since the initial breakout. My skin is completely clear for pimples, all I have now is old cysts that still in process of disappearing.

I have also increased the dose from 20mg per day to 40 mg with no outbreak again. Next week I have my second appointment with my derm, I will probably get the dose increased again if the blood test results turn out ok again :)

Also tip for anyone going on this stuff, don't bother with those normal lipbalms, I am now using vaseline instead and it has stopped my lips from chapping completely!

MemberMember
(@feelinsomerhythm)

Posted : 07/01/2013 4:21 am

Great news, mate! Do you have new photos of your skin? It's always so great to click onto a log and see people experiencing success :)