"full Course" To "low Dose"?

MemberMember
(@zodistarr)

Posted : 01/10/2013 9:48 pm

Advice/ opinions please.

I'm 32f, 115 lbs (55kg), and just finished my 5th month of accutane. My course has been 40mg/day for 1 month and 60mg/day for 4 months. My acne developed around 30 and continually got worse- antibiotics, topicals, blah blah blah here I am on accutane. I had 2 bumps in my 5th month (small cystic on my chin) but other than that I have been clear for a while.

I go to the derm tomorrow and am supposed to be put on 40mg for my final month. Here is my question..

I am considering "saving" my last month and taking the 20mg pills once a week. This would last me 15 months. My current cumulative dose is 152mg. If I take the last month I will be at 177mg. I know in the US it's hard to do the low dosage thing thanks to iPledge so this would have to be a decision I make on my own.

What do you guys think? I have crazy anxiety thinking about not having this in my system. I've read only 20mg a week can keep sebum at bay. Do you guys think I'm better off reaching 177mg dose OR staying at 152mg (over the required cumulative dose) and slowing getting myself used to being off this drug? It's a comfort thinking I can see how I respond with less of this in my system- and IF I start to break out again- I'll start a second course but still have these pills to increase my dosage during the wait. Also- won't this still be in my system and count towards my total cumulative dose?? My gut is telling me this is the best chance for permanent remission.

All thoughts are appreciated. xoxo

Zodi

MemberMember
(@zodistarr)

Posted : 01/11/2013 8:17 pm

Bump

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 01/11/2013 8:25 pm

I would advise you follow your Derms instructions. It's never a good idea to self medicate. You will continue to see improvment in your skin even after stopping the medication as Accutane remains in your body for some time after. You'd probably put yourself at more risk of relapse by not finishing your course properly.