Notifications
Clear all

Have Been On Accutane For About 8 Months

MemberMember
(@k1001)

Posted : 12/21/2012 11:08 pm

I didn't have severe acne really just mainly bumps and a few large pimples but they would never go away. I got put on 20mg I believe everyday for about 5 months. I went to my dermatologist about 1-2 months ago and he put me down to just taking 2 tablets a week. When I seen him, I wasn't getting any new pimples but he still said for me to go on it for another 6 months until our next appointment. I'm kind of tired of taking it as I already have to take 2 other pills but mainly because I don't really think I need it. I've basically been pimple free for 2+ months now. It seems pointless to be on it for 4 or so months. I didn't have any acne scars before starting actuate and now I do... which is upsetting me a lot mainly on the sides of my face and they're red... are these going to go away? will they go away easier if I'm not on accutane? also, will my skin colour change back to a more fresh looking colour? Ugh... I don't know if I should stop taking them or not. Advice?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/22/2012 8:41 am

Accuane was never meant to be taken long term so i would speak to your derm about other options to keep you clear and reduce scarring. Retionoids such as retin a and tazorac are for that purpose and can assist you in keeping your pores clear.

Good Luck in your decision

MemberMember
(@tommyc38)

Posted : 12/22/2012 1:21 pm

Those aren't scars...your skin heals much slower on accutane and it thins your skin out quite a bit. My skin has always dramatically changed about a month or two off tge medication. My skin looked liked baby skin and tge spots I thought were scars all filled in. I agree with the above poster, definitely get som Retin A to maintain your skin once you stop. It will help scars, skin tone, and fine lines. When I finish my course in 4 months In jumping all over it. My acne situation was similiar to yours but I'm on a much much higher dose....I want long/if not permanent results. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@k1001)

Posted : 12/22/2012 5:32 pm

Those aren't scars...your skin heals much slower on accutane and it thins your skin out quite a bit. My skin has always dramatically changed about a month or two off tge medication. My skin looked liked baby skin and tge spots I thought were scars all filled in. I agree with the above poster, definitely get som Retin A to maintain your skin once you stop. It will help scars, skin tone, and fine lines. When I finish my course in 4 months In jumping all over it. My acne situation was similiar to yours but I'm on a much much higher dose....I want long/if not permanent results. Good luck!

I feel confident in stopping so I think I'm going to. I only have 1 dermatologist in my area unless I drive miles so the waiting list is huge and I can't exactly get in until my next appointment. I'm just going to go a month without taking them and see how it goes. I hope you're right red marks and hopefully they will go away sooner if I stop taking the medication. Thanks for the advice.