Accutane 2.0

MemberMember
(@wsmith189)

Posted : 11/13/2012 12:39 pm

Dear world,

Fairly typical acne experience. High school was no worries. the very odd pimple, family has history of acne, thought I was getting off easily.

As I began college my odd pimples turned into the odd cyst/nodule increasing in severity and frequency until the start of sophomore year. It sucked, I could not understand what the problem was after years with acne not even making my radar, I digress. Shit happened and it freaked me out...So I tried all the nonsense. Finally, I just demanded tane around mid October 2010. UGA health center was more than happy to oblige.

I hated accutane. It was crushing for me, I did have the dreaded IB. Coming from my acne background, was a challenging obstacle to swallow. However, throughout my course, I grew emotionally with exceptional strides in maturity culminating in my acceptance that it is what it is. I did not see improvement till month 4 of 6. I alternated 30mg on day A to 60mg on B days.

Side Effects:

-dry skin/lips

-extremely dry interior nostrils (complete with scabs blood the whole bit)

-Shitty IB

*that was it*

Upon completion, my life had been dramatically altered and I loved it. It worked 100%. Any side effects pale in comparison to the end results, cross my heart and hope to die.

Present:

my acne is incredibly mild. One small nodule a week. Occasional bad week with 3 or so. Manageable. I won't even post pictures because there is really nothing to see. Doc was uber hesitant to prescribe the drug again. I had been on Antibios and Azelex for several months prior to this most recent doc trip late Oct 2012. He tried to sell me the same bullshit topical/anti bio treatment, I had made my mind up by this point and again demanded the drug. It took every persuading fiber in my body to get him to agree to it.

The Log:

A week in. Exactly the same as last time. Skin gradually embracing the dryness.

For all you Fools out there with a shitty derm or a "it won't happen to me attitude" you will:

1. Get extremely sunburnt, incredibly sunburnt. I dont care if you black white pink yellow or brown. Will happen, and does. Avoid the sun 20 minutes is all it takes. I fish alot, thus am on the water alot. Even your fingers will burn. Just avoid it. If you are hitting the outdoors use 30spf.

2. You will get incredibly dry skin. Try your hardest to nip this problem in the bud. Moisturize at every point you get.

--Personally, the backs of my hands would periodically break out in some rash type deal. Hydrocortizone cream did the trick but had I been moisturizing properly, derm said I probably could have avoided it.

--My lips were also bad, especially the corners. I even developed a yeast infection in the split corners. Imagine a manila folder repeatedly lacerating these creases. Shit sucked, slather that lip balm on like its yo job.

3. You will experience constipation, fact. Even for you girls that poop ice cream or whatever. Take a probiotic with gallons upon gallons of water. Water is your only friend. If you're really having a problem, take a shot of prune juice in the morning. Watch out with a glass of the stuff...it uh, works.

4. Drinking on the tane only increases the severity of your hangover. I went to Georgia as previously stated and I partied with the best of them. Both pre tane during tane and post. Please do not lecture me with any type of holy personal message. I do not care. I had many sit downs with medical professionals regarding the subject, they were all of the opinion as long as my liver test showed no sign of damage and I felt I could handle the after effects, was my personal decision to make.

--it certainly isn't any worse for you than oh I don't know, snorting some coke while blackout.

Having taken the drug once already, I know full well what to expect. I know it is going to suck, first time around I was blindsided...this being the reason I thought it was so difficult.

One thing I have learned in the professional world, no one gives a shit what your skin looks like. Unless you are pursuing a career as a super model, with vanity as the central theme. No body really cares about your superficial bs. Easier said than done, but taking the emotion out of it is a game changer. Will make the whole process much easier. Swear to god. I am one of the most open minded people, I will answer any question you've got in regards to anything. I have certainly been around the block once or twice, you would be hard pressed to find a subject I haven't at least dabbled in.

As a final reminder to all those on the fence. Nike that bitch and just do it-any horror story you read regarding tane is similar to the national media. Grizzly gruesome sensational stories sell best and those that experience them perpetuate their story, rightfully so. Point being, these stories are by far the minority. I would guess < 5%, again, here I give zero fucks for whatever obscure study you have the intention to post as rebuttal. Most are cured and never come back to the net lamenting their success. I know I did not. Those that do are, similarly, in the minority.

I wish everyone the best traveling this road. It is a challenging, but very manageable one, with shockingly beautiful results!

MemberMember
(@itsnoteasybeinggreen)

Posted : 11/13/2012 2:15 pm

I am glad you are able to have a good attitude about the Accutane experience. I myself have been on Accutane twice and I agree with all your helpful advice about the sun, dry lips, skin etc.

Although both times I used Accutane my acne did come back though very mild, I am 100% clear now with a BP topical I apply once a day at night.

But I would like to point out other side effects that you put in a 5% range to not likely, is just not true, they are really are more likely then that. My second time around my hair started to fall out starting in month 3, by month 5 it was not just a few strands in the shower but fist fulls. Lucky for me I had extremely thick curly hairs so I didn't get major bald spots. My doctor told me hair loss was a side effect she saw very often 1out of5 especially on people taking a second round. Today 11 months post my second round of Accutane i do lose more hair in the shower then I did before accutane but nothing scary and I now have permently thinner, straight hair. It doesn't bother me but family and friends do notice and ask why did I get my hair straightened?

Do I regret taking Accutane, no it did what I needed it to do for me at the time. But I think anyone who takes it must really be at that last resort point, because the perment side effects do happen a lot, and not being a doctor or a professional I would not encourage people "to just do it" without thinking. There are side effects that are real and each person must make the decision," if I get a side effect can I live with It?" Is living with a side effect better then my current life with acne. The answer to that question for me was yes. But others see the side effects differently, others are more sensitive and really need to think first and consult a doctor.

That's just my experience. My story is not "some gruesome thing and sensationalized" I don't like to tell people to scare them off tane. I was one of the very positive people who took Accutane the first time andbwas fine and I willingly took it in 2011 and the second time around I did get a more permanent side effect. It just happens to some people.

MemberMember
(@wsmith189)

Posted : 11/13/2012 3:07 pm

Glad to see two courses did the trick.

I have heard the fistful of hair stories before. Unfortunate this was a side effect for you. I myself experienced some hair loss. Not that shocking though considering the physiological affects, ie shrinking pores blah blah blah.

Luckily, most pharmacies do not despense medication without a doc approval. Obviously there are other methods to obtain items, but here I just wanted to encourage those that have consulted their doc and are still on the fence to get after it. Seems to me that you yourself finally just did it. You weighed the options and just did it. Of course I thought long and hard about it. That is how personal life decisions work. Stupid people make impulsive decisions. Your point solidifies my Nike philosophy, if you feel it is right for you, JUST DO IT! Stop waisting time. Stop buying into false hope. That was really what I was after. Thanks for the post.

PS: I too have semi thick and curly hair. Hopefully my locks don't disappear. Anything in particular I should be aware of (beside the hair) on this second go round?

MemberMember
(@wsmith189)

Posted : 11/19/2012 9:15 am

Week two.

Question to the fellas...facial hair while taking the tane. Opinions, thoughts, comments?

As far as my skin goes, continual progression. Face is tight-dry, lips are feeling it hard. All in all everything is manageable.

MemberMember
(@wsmith189)

Posted : 11/20/2012 10:55 am

Day 15 or so. Life is not bad. Skin is still dry as are lips. I can handle so far.

My skin is fine, I have two pimples one medium sized guy and an accompanying small fry. As are most people, I am trying to avoid the dreaded IB. I had a bad one the first go round on tane lasting into my 4th month. The light at the end of the tunnel is mesmerizing I swear. To all, you will get there!

Oh right, the real reason I posted.

In terms of the scalp itself, what is the best product to moisturize/what is the best method to moisturize. Clearly, putting lotion in my hair/scalp is stupid. I feel like I have read jojoba oil works well. Advice?

As for my last question, has anyone grown a full blown beard on the tane?

MemberMember
(@wsmith189)

Posted : 11/26/2012 10:36 am

My Oh My

Dosage has been upped to 60mg for the remainder of my course. My first go round I was alternating 30mg one day and 60 the next. My side effects were difficult then, I mean I remember having bloody boogers so large, I whistled every breath. Similar to the worst type of snoring imo. Que horror!

Had my first nose bleed this morning. Manageable, worried about my lips though. Bracing for the full frontal tane attack.

Skin is fine. Two active guys, were semi painful-dying down.

Dudes, have any of my fellow males had experience with facial hair on tane?

MemberMember
(@echron)

Posted : 11/30/2012 7:07 am

What do you mean experience with facial hair on accutane? I have facial hair and accutane. I grew a small beard and don't bother tbh. Accept your face atm and see the changes. Also any spots above the beardline will be way more noticeable with the beard.

Also facial hair doesn't help acne.