Notifications
Clear all

Fingers Crossed!

MemberMember
(@flymetothemoon)

Posted : 03/18/2014 10:09 pm

Hi all,

I am a 24 year old female fighting against the common enemy- acne. I could go on a long schpeel about how long Ive had acne for, and the plethora of regimens (natural, store-bought and dermatologist recommended) that have failed to prevail, but I wont. Instead, I want to set aside prior battles with acne and begin a new journey with Dans Regimen. I am hopeful that like those who have experienced success before me, I too, will attain clear skin.

On a typical day I have mild-moderate acne, except when I put on moisturizer (any moisturizerseriously all of them) and my face literally explodes roughly 2 days later. I tend to get whiteheads and the occasional cystic pimple, however when I use moisturizer my acne is almost exclusively cystic in nature. Currently I have only 2-3 small pimples, but lots of pigmentation (discolouration) where old pimples used to be. I used Tactuo (Canadian equivalence of Epiduo which contains 2.5% BP) as recently as yesterday, so Im hoping my face is already somewhat acclimated to the BP treatment to come. Anyway, heres how Day 1 went:

Day 1:

-Cetaphil cleanser

-Acne.org BP treatment (little more than a pea sized amount)

-Acne.org moisturizer (2 pumps)

Experience:

-BP was slightly itchy in the crevice where my nose meets my cheek. Itchy enough to be annoying.

-Ouch!! The moisturizer stung like crazy around my nose crevice but completely subsided upon complete absorption (~4 min post application). I think the whole burning incident is because my skin was fairly dry from previous Tactuo usage.

-Given my history of moisturizer usage, Im super scared about the quantity of moisturizer in the Regimen and the subsequent purge that's expected

-Anticipating the weeks to come!

Fingers crossed,

Kris

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/23/2014 9:14 am

Good Luck Kris. It's a journey that will have its ups and lots of down but you have support here. Good Luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have

MemberMember
(@flymetothemoon)

Posted : 03/27/2014 10:53 am

WEEK 1 UPDATE:

Hello again,

I've successfully completed week 1, and currently 2 days into week 2. Since starting the regimen my face looks significantly better. I havent had a single breakout, with the exception of one tiny white head in the first 2 days since starting. This is the FIRST moisturizer, EVER that doesn't break me out...I cant believe how effective Dan's products are! That being said, I still have persistent hyperpigmentation, although that too has noticeably decreased. One thing that I can say is that Im definitely in the flake zone, but its all perfectly concealed upon the application of moisturizer. My face feels slightly leathery (best way to describe it), but you wouldnt know unless you touched it since it appears smooth after moisturizer. The BP is starting to burn now, way more than at the start of the regimen, and worse still, is the burn after I put on moisturizerwhats up with that? Anyway, the burn is only temporary and fades as the BP and subsequent moisturizer dries. Also, the burning might be cuz I was waaaay too eager to up my BP dosage in the first week (up to two thirds of my finger). In retrospect, I should have increased the dosage more gradually.

After reading many logs on here, I gather that week 2-3 is the equivalence of hell lol, so Im kind of anticipating the dreaded purge and/or being a flake monster

I really wanted to add pictures to this post, but I couldnt figure out how to. If anyone can help me out with that, I will gladly post weekly pictures.

Fingers crossed,

Kris

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 03/27/2014 6:54 pm

Hi,

My daughter is on her 4th month of the Regimen now and is about 90% clear. Like you she was on Tactuo for over a year (and saw little if any improvement - after a horrendous initial breakout). She was actually hesitant to try the Regimen because we thought if Tactuo has 2.5% bp and didn't work why would the Regimen? - but fortunately it has. You may be lucky and avoid the initial purge on the Regimen. Just follow it pretty exactly and have some patience (hard to do I know) because she didn't really see improvement until the end of the second month.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@flymetothemoon)

Posted : 03/29/2014 12:30 am

Thank you for all the support. Much appreciated.

Hope7, Tactuo did make a positive difference for me, but it was minimal since I couldn't use it everyday. Basically I had to use tactuo sparingly since I couldn't use any moisturizer (long history with moisturizer related breakouts) to combat the dryness, my face became super dry, irritated and eventually led to more breakouts. I'm glad it eventually worked out for your daughter. As for me, I can already see a huge improvement as I haven't had a single pimple since starting the Regimen, and my hyperpigmentation is slowly, but surely fading. Thanks for your kind words

MemberMember
(@flymetothemoon)

Posted : 04/01/2014 9:40 am

WEEK 2 UPDATE:

Today marks the end of 2 weeks since starting the regimen. Woo! Initially (3days into week 2) my face felt like it was on fire upon BP and moisturizer application. In the last few days, Ive been applying BP + moisturizer with an ever-so-gentle sliding motion and this burning has drastically subsided. I also woke up this morning with a single small pimple on my right cheek. Im going to assume it was either from starting to workout again, wearing make up once during this week, attempting to rid of flakes by picking at them, or a combination of these . Oh well.

Week 2 has definitely brought the flakes to life. Before applying moisturizer I look like some reptilian subspecies lol. After moisturizer the flakes themselves are not visible, however, since they are glued back onto my skin, it looks like my skin has aged (Not wrinkly per say, but it has a weird leathery texture that is now visible). Also, the moisturizer makes me look a shade or two darker than my actual skin colour. Is this normal? My brother eloquently pointed out that I look like someone fresh out of a tanning bed...joy. I have darker skin, naturally, so I thought the yellow hued moisturizer would just blend in, but that has definitely not been the case. You cant tell that much if my neck is covered, but if I wear a low cut shirt, theres a stark contrast between the extra tanned colour of my face, and the normal colour of my neck/chest. I dont know if the moisturizer is entirely to blame either; it could just be the flakes on my face that are adding to the darkening. Either way, I cant wait until week 4 ends so I can add AHA to my routine (flake eradicator) and possibly try out a new moisturizer (one that doesnt give me a fake tan look).

Fingers crossed,

Kris

MemberMember
(@flymetothemoon)

Posted : 04/09/2014 11:48 pm

WEEK 3 UPDATE:

Completed week 3 yesterday! Regarding my frustration with the skin darkening of last week, I now realize that it was the BP turning my skin darker, not the moisturizer. I know this b/c the flake free parts of my face are my natural skin colour, and the flaky parts are a lot darker. My flakes have also lessened this week and with that, my face is slowly returning to its original colour. Yay! Also, after reading Dans AHA recommendations in the FAQ section (you can start after 3 or 4 weeks), Ive decided to start throwing AHA into the mix. In fact, today was the first day I added AHA (just a small, pea sized dollop into the moisturizer and I could still feel the burn). From what I gather, it can take up to a month to see results from the AHA, so Im going to have to be patient.

In the last 2 weeks Ive started working out again (~5-6 times per week), which is great, fitness wise, but not so great when on the Regimen. The first few days I worked out midday, which really threw me off with having this need to shower post-workout and thus warrant a 3rd face washing, in addition to the morning and night washes. Then 3 nights ago, I worked out really late at night and after showering and putting on BP, I fell asleep before putting on moisturizer. Note to self: do not wait for BP to dry while lying down in a warm bed lol. Those two instances of straying off the Regimens strict guidelines summated into the gift of a new pimple on my chin lol.

Here's to hoping that week 4 gets rid of more flakes and further evens out my skin tone.

Fingers crossed,

Kris

MemberMember
(@rick911)

Posted : 04/10/2014 10:43 am

Nice to see that tactuo is actually working for you! I've been prescribed it too! It's been 7 weeks now and I can tell you that I've seen almost no improvement at all. Of course I had an initial breakout and I thought that was probably the last one. Unfortunatly no :S I'm still breakout out even 7 weeks after the first use! Keep going on your journey and you will probably have more luck then I do :)

MemberMember
(@flymetothemoon)

Posted : 04/10/2014 7:07 pm

Hi Rick,

I am NOT currently using Tactuo. I am currently using Dan's Regimen only. Tactuo was prescribed by my dertmatologist in the past, and although it did initially clear me up, it came at a price- dry skin. Since I couldn't use moisturizer to combat the dry skin, I was a big flaky mess, which irritated my skin and led to more breakouts. Ultimately, Tactuo did NOT work for me. Dan's regimen (cleanser+ Benzoyl Peroxide+ Moisturizer) is what I'm currently using and it has been showing great results thus far. Hope it works out for you, if not, give the Regimen a try.

Best wishes,

Kris

MemberMember
(@flymetothemoon)

Posted : 04/29/2014 8:20 am

WEEK 5 UPDATE:

Today marks the completion of week 5 (yay). Unfortunately, I got super busy last week and wasnt able to do a week 4 update. Reflecting on week 4, the only difference I found was that I might have broken out slightly from the AHA; nothing major, just one or two small whiteheads.

Week 5 was fabulous for me. My skin is doing really well. This past weekend I went to a friends place and she even commented that my skin was glowing. I had to act all calm and cool on the surface, but inside, my inner 5 year old girl was squealing. Who would have thought I would have glowing skin; glowing skin wasnt an option when I could not put on moisturizer. I thought an oily T-zone or pregnancy was the closest I was going to get to glowing skin-- neither of which is ideal right now lol.

I also got a big haircut (>12inches chopped) during week 4, and really feel like my face and back have improved since then. I never had issues with breakouts on my back, but in the last few months, my Rupunzel like hair was definitely the cause of a few back acne issues (probably from hair oils and/or hair products touching my back). Now that its been cut above my shoulders, I havent had any unsightly acne issues on my back since. Also, hair prep time has been cut in half and tangles are practically a thing of the past. Good riddance, long hair!!

Till next time,

Kris

MemberMember
(@flymetothemoon)

Posted : 05/06/2014 11:57 am

WEEK 6 UPDATE:

Cant believe Ive been on the Regimen for 6 weeks. I will admit the routine is getting a bit tedious to follow. When I first started the Regimen, I was so eager to clear up my skin that I was excited about the morning and night routine. As time passed however, it seems like a chore having to wait the allotted time intervals between cleanser, BP and moisturizer. Ive also been going out a lot more lately (seeing as the harsh Canadian winter is finally letting up), and the Regiment is particularly hard to follow after a night out when all I want to do is head to bed. Last night I fell asleep again before putting on moisturizer, while waiting for the BP to dry lol.

The tanned look has also somewhat returned. I dont really notice it, b/c Im some what used to my post-regimen tan, but every time I meet someone I havent seen in a while, I get told I look a lot more tanned than usual. A few people have asked if Ive been on vacation recently cuz of the tan!! Also, I rarely wear makeup, so when I did wear some this past weekend, I realized that the makeup I currently own does not match my new, darker skin; its a solid shade or two lighter than my skin colour now, so it looked horrible. Moreover, it was a mineral foundation and it made my face look sooooooooo dry. This especially sucks cuz I spent a lot of money on it and probably wont be able to wear it again (unless I quit the regimen). After reading some of Dans makeup advice, I saw that Almay cosmetics were highly recommended while on the Regimen. Perhaps I will have to make a trip to the beauty department and give it a try. Perhaps I will also have to switch to a liquid based line, vs. mineral powder.

Fingers crossed,

Kris

MemberMember
(@flymetothemoon)

Posted : 05/16/2014 12:49 pm

WEEK 7 UPDATE:

I think I might have just found my Regimen happy zone. To start, I decided to stop putting BP on my jaw area (ear level & downwards) and forehead since they was getting super flaky and I never broke out in those area to begin with. I also reduced the amount of BP I use during the day (b/c it was causing redness and felt irritating) and added jojoba oil to the moisturizer (for its deep moisturizing qualities). Since these changes I've noticed that my skin has a more even complexion, no breakouts, no weird tans, and a significant reduction in flakes.

I really, really hope this isnt just a good week in the temperamental roller coaster that is the Regimen because my skin looked and felt soooo good. Last week I considered stopping the Regimen altogether because it was too much work, only to end up with bad side-effects...I'm glad I did not.

Fingers crossed it stays this way