Notifications
Clear all

Is this acne, pityrosporum or something else?

MemberMember
(@eirenism)

Posted : 01/10/2018 7:02 pm

Hey everyone. I've posted about this before a couple of months ago but got no replies, the problem is still here so I'm trying again! Back in March I changed to a new BC pill (Dianette) along with a Duac gel. Everything was great for 2ish weeks and then I started getting lots of tiny whiteheads all over my neck and chest. Since then it has moved up to around my face and sometimes forehead. I also have even smaller bumps around my mouth & nose area and occasionally my eyes.

The rash almost has a cycle. It will be very mild to non existent and then suddenly whiteheads will start popping up throughout the day and for the next couple of days, they eventually turn into small brown scabs and disappear. My skin is then almost clear for a week or so and they return. The bumps on my face are similar, they are skin-coloured normally but whenever I rub or wash my face they turn red, sometimes there's more sometimes less.

I have long stopped using the Duac gel, tried stopping most of my skin care products and right now only using two very light and non irritating products to moisturize which haven't been part of my routine back then. I changed shampoos, body washes, toothpaste etc. The only constant is the bc pill, could this somehow be triggering it? I've seen my doctor and was prescribed Rozex gel which helped a little around the eyes and Lymecycline, which made things a hundred times worse. 

Just to show how drastically it changes in the span of a few days,the first two pics are of my skin today which looks almost clear! This is at it's "good" stage and unfortunately happens almost every time I try to schedule a visit with my GP. The day before this I used Nizoral and left it on for 10 minutes so perhaps that helped? I've tried anti-fungals before and they seem to somewhat work but my skin gets worse every time anyway. Next two pictures are just 3-4 days ago, the spots on my face are the ones that show up when washing/rubbing my face. 
20180110_234716.jpg20180110_234734.jpg26793329_1791310144264653_662007507_n.jpg26855353_1791309827598018_1015582190_n.jpg

Here is a pic of the bumps around my mouth, they are difficult to see and are more noticeable in certain lights. The skin is redder and more "scaly" in those areas.
20180110_234556.jpg20180110_234559.jpg

Lastly here are some pictures of the flare up I had when I tried to go on Lymecycline. Immediately after I stopped it calmed down.
20171114_213629.jpg20171115_213513.jpg

I currently have a prescription for 5 days worth of steroids but haven't taken it yet because if this is fungal it will only get worse :(

Really at a loss on what to do because it seems like at this point I'll never have clear skin, any help would be appreciated.

MemberMember
(@eirenism)

Posted : 01/13/2018 12:29 pm

Update! Went to the GP and he said this doesn't look like acne and that the whiteheads are different. Still no definite answer but at least I know it's not acne. I've been applying Nizoral shampoo and rinsing off for the past few nights and toning with very diluted ACV (1:10) and so far no more has popped up but the "rash" often almost disappears for a few days and then comes back anyway so I'll have to wait and see. 

I also dug up another picture of my chest of when it flares up more, I'm almost 100% certain this is PF. Any opinions or help? 
20171118_011531.jpg

MemberMember
(@nicole_ca)

Posted : 02/26/2018 7:50 pm

Hi there,
I have similar issues around my nose and mouth, side of neck and bra area of chest. Has anything worked for you yet?

MemberMember
(@eirenism)

Posted : 03/01/2018 6:59 pm

On 2/27/2018 at 0:50 AM, Nicole_CA said:

Hi there,
I have similar issues around my nose and mouth, side of neck and  bra area of chest. Has anything worked for you yet? 

Hey! So far the only thing working for me is putting Nizoral shampoo on the affected areas and leaving it for about half an hour, then rinsing off. Sometimes I follow up with diluted ACV (15ml ACV, 45ml water). It keeps the bumps somewhat controlled, some days are better some are worse but it definitely has made a HUGE difference and I never get intense flare-ups anymore. For the bumps I was getting around my mouth I've recently read somewhere that Differin can help and I've started using that the last few days and have seen a really big improvement. My main goal is to finally kill the PF, so far doctors keep diagnosing it as normal acne which it definitely isn't :(

Here's some recent pics to show you how well my treatment has worked so far!
First two pics are from today, the next two from about 4 days ago. As you can see the bumps are still there but they're quite small and nowhere near as inflamed. My mouth area is also a lot less red and bumpy. Hope this is helpful and good luck!
 20180301_233012.jpg20180301_233021.jpg20180225_210623.jpg20180225_210629.jpg20180301_233034.jpg20180301_233045.jpg

MemberMember
(@nicole_ca)

Posted : 03/01/2018 10:33 pm

Thanks so much for the pics....super helpful to see. And you're right its definitely not just acne. Its obvious and yet derms dont get it. I've been trying Nizoral on my neck and it has helped a lot but my skin is getting red and irritated from dryness. Have you considered using it on your face and do you use any moisturizer?

MemberMember
(@eirenism)

Posted : 03/02/2018 9:57 am

No problem. I've actually had a derm try to convince me to go on accutane just for this!

I've been using it on my face if the PF starts flaring up on my forehead and it helps too, luckily enough I haven't had any issues with dryness or irritation. Yes, I use two moisturizers; the Cosrx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence (bit of a mouthful haha) mixed with The Ordinary's Squalane Oil. I use about two pumps of the essence and 2-3 drops of the oil and it works really well on my oily skin. The routine is taken from this blog [removed] which I highly recommend reading :)