Notifications
Clear all

Correct Educational Information

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 09/07/2015 3:16 am

To senior moderators/administrators...

How difficult would it be to possibly sticky a post in a specific subsection in hopes to negate the constant reiteration of a few different question subjects?

I joined this site as a little side project to use some knowledge I've acquired from my school/job/science projects and to hopefully stop the spreading of illogical and incorrect information that I've read so often on acne related forums...

I do articulate my thoughts in a rather wordy mess, but I've seen the topic of zinc supplementation as a thread so many times already, but the worst part is the OP perpetuates the nonsensical clauses I've read so often about proper zinc dosaging and micronutrional supplementation as a whole.

I have honestly considered taking the time to craft a personal how-to on zinc and the associated benefits, negative attributes, contradictions, and harm reduction. And to be nice I would also practice proper MLA citation just to validate my statements aren't BS from the cliche internet troll. I know I'm a new member, but holy moly do I see some absolutely terrible posts that have probably complicated the lives of more than a few individuals...

Not trying to kiss ass to become part of the staff. I just enjoy educating every now and then. I stumbled upon this site because I noticed there wasn't too much explanations about how or why you should use it. Just someone citing paraphrases from a wikipedia article.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 09/12/2015 10:32 pm

To senior moderators/administrators...

How difficult would it be to possibly sticky a post in a specific subsection in hopes to negate the constant reiteration of a few different question subjects?

I joined this site as a little side project to use some knowledge I've acquired from my school/job/science projects and to hopefully stop the spreading of illogical and incorrect information that I've read so often on acne related forums...

I do articulate my thoughts in a rather wordy mess, but I've seen the topic of zinc supplementation as a thread so many times already, but the worst part is the OP perpetuates the nonsensical clauses I've read so often about proper zinc dosaging and micronutrional supplementation as a whole.

I have honestly considered taking the time to craft a personal how-to on zinc and the associated benefits, negative attributes, contradictions, and harm reduction. And to be nice I would also practice proper MLA citation just to validate my statements aren't BS from the cliche internet troll. I know I'm a new member, but holy moly do I see some absolutely terrible posts that have probably complicated the lives of more than a few individuals...

Not trying to kiss ass to become part of the staff. I just enjoy educating every now and then. I stumbled upon this site because I noticed there wasn't too much explanations about how or why you should use it. Just someone citing paraphrases from a wikipedia article.

Education is very important! As a fellow scientist, I appreciate your love of sourcing. Keep up the good work providing helpful sources for people to review and use.

I don't think it's up to Acne.org to highlight "correct" information. Whatever an individual decides to do is his/her choice. It's common sense only to trust information from reputable sources, so there isn't a need for us to reinforce that.

You can read Acne.org's disclaimer in regard to this topic here.

Going to have to agree with CP here - we can't police whether something is correct or incorrect, nor would it be fair for us to try even if someone says something that isn't backed up my peer-reviewed science. This site is first and foremost for people to discuss their personal experiences, ask questions and share what has worked or hasn't worked for them. This means people may share similar experiences, ask the same question over and over, and share information that is blatantly wrong, controversial, or questionable. As CP said, it is up to the users to conduct the research and find out what is best for them.