Notifications
Clear all

Can You Please Remove The "free Personalized Advise" Box At The Top?

MemberMember
(@pilsnerdk)

Posted : 01/18/2015 12:30 pm

Can you please remove the "FREE Personalized Advise" box at the top? It's fundamentally poor web design to have an element that shifts all of the content below, which happens when the box "pops up" (shortly after loading the page) and again when closing it by clicking the 'x', which must be done over and over again when viewing the forums.

The forums are extremely slow already due to heavy design and I guess a disregard for performance by whoever coded it. An alternative would be to respect it when users click the 'x' and keep it permanently minimized.

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 01/21/2015 3:19 pm

This doesn't happen to me. Maybe get a pop up ad blocker add on for firefox or chrome?

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 01/21/2015 8:18 pm

From what I know there is a bigger style box that if you click "x" on will go into just a tiny little line that stays there, I just had to do it once and the effect was permanent? hmm. One thing is it will reset to the default big box when you first log-in, so maybe that's what you're noticing. Dan really takes this sort of thing into consideration, and I can certainly bring up that it is an annoyance to some users. Personally I hardly notice it when I have it minimized, and it really is a very handy tool to help you find the next step in your acne treatment... so I think some awareness would be good. Maybe I could suggest a way to turn it off permanently?

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 01/21/2015 8:34 pm

It seems like it lags when you load the forums pages. I experience the same on other websites when loading their material when my connection is shitty, but I haven't been on Acne.org with a crappy connection in a while.

I personally like it, but I can see it getting annoying if it screws up the page while you are trying to read.

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 01/21/2015 9:01 pm

I'll link this topic to Dan and one of our programmers and see what we can get done. I can understand how annoying it would be if it not only made the page lag, but set off all of the other page layout. ;p

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 01/23/2015 3:14 pm

I'll have my guys take a look at this, but yeah, you can click the X and that should permanently minimize it for you. It's not acting that way? It's not permanently minimized after you click the X? I clicked the X months ago and it's always stayed minimized for me.

MemberMember
(@manticore)

Posted : 01/25/2015 9:05 am

I have tried minimizing the box in IE9 & Firefox, but it only stays minimized for that page only.

Every time you go to a different page you need to minimize it again. It doesn't minimize globally for me, just the page you are on.

EDIT...just noticed that if you minimize it while on the forum home page, then it does minimize it globally. If you do it on any other page, then it minimizes for that page only.

MemberMember
(@dollah-singh)

Posted : 01/27/2015 11:00 am

Hi everyone,

I have changed the code a little bit, thus from now on it will not be shown as large box for 30 days since you have clicked the close(x) button. Also this setting will be reflected for all the pages you visit afterwards. You need to click x button only once.

Please check that out and let me know if you still have any problem.

Regards,

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 01/29/2015 7:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I have changed the code a little bit, thus from now on it will not be shown as large box for 30 days since you have clicked the close(x) button. Also this setting will be reflected for all the pages you visit afterwards. You need to click x button only once.

Regards,

Wow. That's genius. You think you can make that for a bit less time, though? It would suck to click X by accident, and be stuck without it for a month.

MemberMember
(@manticore)

Posted : 02/01/2015 2:58 pm

Hi everyone,

Regards,

Wow. That's genius. You think you can make that for a bit less time, though? It would suck to click X by accident, and be stuck without it for a month.

It's still there if you want it. It's just minimized to a single line of text. It doesn't disappear completely.