Week 4 on regimen +...

Notifications
Clear all

Week 4 on regimen + questions

MemberMember
(@vibrantheat)

Posted : 06/22/2018 6:49 am

Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance for the long post but I wanted to be as precise as I could.

Ive been dealing with mild cystic acne for about 3 years now. I also have rosacea concentrated on my nose and cheeks. ( but thats a different topic ) After trying many different products I finaIly came across Acne.org. My acne was never sever but the few spots I had were concentrated on my cheeks, and nose but I could get small spots on my forehead and lately, on my jawline and neck. The spots on my cheeks could take months to go away ( the last one I currently have is from february... ) without the possibility of poping as they were hard and quite deep. I would have a new white heads around my nose every morning. About 1,5 month ago, I cut dairies off my diet ( as much as I could - living in france with the cheese tentation makes it hard, believe me ) and started drinking lots of water but it didnt make any drastic changes.

I have been on the regimen for 4 weeks now and it's going well. I started with the required dose and slowly increased as advised. During the first 2 weeks, I noticed an improvement as I had zero new spots. My skin got used to the BP as the burning sensation was fading after week 1, that said, I noticed that the burn sensation would mostly come after using the moisturizer ( the BP would make my eyes watery but didnt burn as much as the moisturizer ). I also had like a yellowy/orange cast on my whole face like I used a cheap fake tan ( I read a lot of similar experiences so I wasnt worried ). My skin felt like it was burn, the touch was very weird, It felt like I was wearing a mask, and the skin wasnt mine - if you know what I mean )

During week 2 and 3, my face was quite red and sensitive, especially on my chin and the side of my nose. The redness was concentrated around my mouth, which looked very odd as the direct outline of my mouth ( about 1 cm around : where I didnt apply any BP ) was very white.
During week 3 and 4, I experienced extreme dryness on my cheeks but mostly around my mouth and chin ( even adding 5-6 drops of jojoba oil didnt do the job ). It was so bad that I couldnt smile or laugh or the skin would crack and I would end up with a extreme flaking ( the kind that is very difficult to conceal as if I would put moisturizer, the cream and all the flakes would do like a mash and as you can imagine, is very gross and made me very self conscious )I carry a small amount of moisturizer with me at all time so my skin would never be too dry but it was still flaking. As I was trying to follow religiously the regimen, I didnt know how to clean my skin from the flakes. The only solution I came across was to massage a big amount of jojoba oil and rince it with water.

Begining of week 4, I realized that I never followed the 3 mn massage step for BP and moisturizer. I always applied the amounts recommended by spreading it as lightly as I could so it would take forever to dry. ( Could this have caused any of the issues mentioned above ? )
Yesterday, my skin was so itchy and irritated that I had to skip a day of regimen to let it rest ).

Today my skin is still flaky but not as irritated. I will continue the regimen tonight as I am starting the AHA - which I am very excited about.

I also want to mentioned that I noticed an improvement on my rosacea.

Now my questions are :

Are we supposed to use the regimen ONLY on the area where we have Acne ? for exemple : I don't have any acne on my chin but I did apply all the products on that area as well: could it be the reason why this specific zone is the most sensitive now ? )

I read that once you are cleared of any active acne, you can stop the regimen or add new products/steps. Does that mean that I can damage my skin if I keep using the same amount of BP on clear skin ? I would like to continue to improve the texture of my skin, which is not very smooth.
I will start using the AHA tonight, it will apparently accelerate the renewing process of the skin, which I hope, will clear my face from the flaking.
Can I only use the AHA once my skin is clear ? ( added to a milder routine ? )

I am, overall very satisfied of the regimen but I do find it quite " intrusive " as I cannot wear make up and my skin looks a bit weird. Does it ever get to a point where your skin is completely used to it and " it doesnt show " ( the redness, irritations, flakes and so on ) ?

As anyone used a tan booster ( not a fake tan ) once their skin is cleared ? I used to use the Clarins booster and its a great product that I would love to continue using once all the flakyness is gone.

I think I covered everything now, once again sorry abut the very long post, and thank you to the ones who read it all + extra points for those who will help me with my questions.

Have a good day!

MemberMember
(@mindfultiler)

Posted : 06/23/2018 5:58 am

Hey, firstly I want to say that I'm not an expert in these "the regimen" questions and me myself have been on the regimen about 8 months.

However, the reason I replied to you is that, although I do have similiar side effects as you have. I've been doing the regimen twice a day for 8 months and my skin still gets reddish and slighty irritated after applying BP and especially after applying moisturizer (Im not using the acne.org moisturizer). I do not have as severe side effects as you do but if I look closly, I can see red lines around my eyes and mouth.

To answer a few of you questions:

I guess you can experiment a bit and try to only apply BP on your acne prone areas on your skin. However, I have moderate acne that tend to appear randomly on my face, therefore I apply BP on my whole face just to be sure.
     Unfortunately, you have to keep using the BP until you outgrow from acne naturally. BP is only a temporary solution and doesnt permanently defeat acne, even though It makes your skin clear as long as you apply it. (I know its sad :()
     That being said, only using AHA doesnt keep you skin completely clear but has a lot of other benefits for the skin. (It is a bit strong and can also make your skin more reddish)

Lastly, I want to remind you that dont take my word for any of my replies, since my statements are purely based on my personal thoughts and experience and also from the knowledge I've built up by studying here on the website. Im sure there are more experienced people here who hopefully will reply and give better answers. :) 
 Since we both seem to have similiar problems/side effects, feel free to message me privately here on acne.org. I would be more than happy to start a discussion and hopefully find solutions to these problems with you. 

Yours, M