For those strugglin...

Notifications
Clear all

For those struggling with dry skin

MemberMember
(@rhanx97)

Posted : 03/29/2017 4:17 pm

For those struggling with dry skin on the regimen . . . I may have found a solution. I posted here recently about my struggle with extreme dry, flaky, reptile skin. I've been on the regimen for two and a half months. The closest I came to exfoliating was when I washed my face, barely touching it with my fingers. Even though my skin is clear now besides hyper pigmentation, I was hesitant to exfoliate because if I was gonna do this regimen, I was gonna do it right--and that meant following the rules to a T, including the no exfoliating rule--plus I didn't want to irritate my skin and make my acne return. Last week, though, I broke down. I was dying to exfoliate. I felt like three layers of dead skin was just sitting on my face. I read somewhere on here that exfoliating with lotion and a washcloth seems to help, so I smothered my face in CeraVe lotion, then took a wet wash cloth and very gently rubbed it around in my face in circular motions until most of the dead skin was gone. It was like a snake shedding its skin, that's how much skin came off. After that I dipped my rag in some diluted apple cider vinegar and applied that to my face and let it sit for about five minutes (I've heard great things about ACV for acne and toning). After that I went ahead and did the full regimen like usual. The next morning, boom--my skin felt like baby skin, it was fresh and soft and not dry! My face felt born again. I was so used to reptile skin that I forgot what smooth skin felt like. It has been one week since then, my skin has stayed smooth and glowing and moisturized. Maybe my face is just taking its time reacting to the irritation, but I think exfoliating and applying the apple cider vinegar was one of the best decisions I've ever made. :D 

Maybe this will work for you, maybe it won't. But if you're desperate like I was and your skin is clear, it might be worth trying. 

Another note : I switched to CeraVe from Dan's moisturizer, and it has made a world of difference. I still use jojoba oil every time I apply. 

MemberMember
(@patriciajosephine)

Posted : 03/31/2017 10:09 pm

Thank you I'm going to try this! Can't wear any makeup ever because you can see all the cracks from the dryness. Did you use benzoyl peroxide after the acv? I'm just worried it's going to burn.

MemberMember
(@rhanx97)

Posted : 04/04/2017 10:08 am

@PatriciaJosephine I couldn't wear makeup either, I feel your pain! Now my makeup goes on smooth :D I did use the benzoyl peroxide, it did burn just a bit for me, but it wasn't bad. But if you're worried about it, I just wouldn't use the benzoyl peroxide that one time you use the ACV. Then go back to it the next morning. 

MemberMember
(@dandytsunami)

Posted : 04/04/2017 10:47 am

DONT SCRUB WITH A WASH CLOTH I GOT SCARS FROM DOING THAT :( PLS PLS PLS DONT DOOO IT I WISH SOMEONE TOLD ME BEFORE I DID IT I USED TO NEVER GET SCARS ANYWHERE FROM ACNE AND BCUZ OF ME SCRUBBING MY FACE AND PICKING WITH MY FINGER NAILS I GOT SCARS

MemberMember
(@stirringsuv)

Posted : 04/10/2017 11:49 pm

Did you wash your face before putting on the lotion and scrubbing your face?

MemberMember
(@wehrlebird21)

Posted : 04/19/2017 11:26 pm

You can do this very gently, manual exfoliation is only bad because it can cause unnecessaryirritation, that's why you aren't supposed to do it.I just wet aregular washcloth and wipe my skin with it as gently as I can in the shower. I don't rub or scrub,I literally just fold up the washcloth a bit andgently wipe downwards on my face as ifI'm wiping something off and all kinds of flakes come off if I haven't done it in a while. I do it every once in a while when I feel a lot of dead skin on my face, maybe once or twice a week, then I use the cleanser and if I exfoliate I'm extra gentle with the cleanser that morning.just have to be extremely gentle that's the main thing. Also the AHA for me at least, seemsto loosen some of those flakes caused by the BP which helps. I also don't use Dans moisturizer, I use vanicream lite lotion, seems to hydrate my skin better.

MemberMember
(@weightypond)

Posted : 04/15/2019 1:07 pm

Rhanx97 Have you been using jojoba oil with the regimen as suggested for dry skin? Sometimes I wonder if it makes my skin dry out more due to too much oiling. I have been struggling with the reptile skin for several months now. Far too long. Thank you for your help!

MemberMember
(@starlcross34yahoo-com)

Posted : 04/15/2019 9:15 pm

Going into week 1 and my skin is extremely dry, itching, and burning. Waiting on jojoba oil to come like yesterday lol.