The Regimen To Hold...

Notifications
Clear all

The Regimen To Hold Over Hormonal Acne. Quitting It Once Hormones Settle?

MemberMember
(@justkim)

Posted : 06/18/2015 5:43 am

So I'll start off with a quick background of my acne story. I am 20 years old. I had been virtually spot-free for years. Around the age of 16 I went on the birth control pill to regulate my periods and my skin became even better. It was sooooo perfectly clear, you wouldn't believe. Anyhow, I stopped taking the pill about 8 months ago as I didn't like putting synthetic hormones in my body. After being on the pill for so many years and then suddenly quitting, my hormones went haywire. I lost a bunch of hair and a couple of months in my skin broke out like crazy. It got worse and worse until I was eventually covered in moderate acne (bacne too). I tried to wait it out and let my hormones settle on their own, hoping my skin would clear up. As my acne only appeared to be getting worse, I began trying out a bunch of different skincare regimens. To be honest, quite a lot of them seemed really promising! They had their ups and downs though and I was becoming impatient because I had an event coming up four weeks from the time. I came across the regimen and if it ran according to plan, I knew I could be clear by the time of my event. I was desperate. So I got The Regimen and I am now two weeks in.

Two weeks in, and my skin is clearing up. Super dry and sensitive - both things I have never had to deal with in the past so I'm putting it down to the BP. The thing is, I don't want to have to be using BP for the rest of my life. In hindsight, I wish I could just go back in time and stick to one of the routines that seemed to be working. Now I've got myself on a routine that relies on a harsh chemical that may be damaging my skin, and causing my skin to become reliant on it... So this brings me to my main question...

I've read about a lot of people stopping the regimen in hopes that they've 'grown out' of their acne. If my hormones were to settle over the next year or so, do you think it would be possible for me to successfully stop using The Regimen, given that my acne was mainly due to my hormones? I've heard about peoples skin becoming addicted / reliant on BP, so I'm worried that even though my hormones may become normal again, I'm going to be stuck using BP forever (whereas if I had simply waited it out on it's own, I wouldn't have to rely on it)...

In the past week or so I feel as though my body may be slowly getting back to normal. I've had my first period in 8 months since quitting the pill, and my back acne has also started to clear up (I've basically only got a bunch of scars and a few small pimples here and there)... It's getting me down thinking that if I had simply waited with my face, that could slowly be returning to normal on it's own too... :/

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/18/2015 12:23 pm

My personal experience with regimen is a glad to mad one. Cleared me by month four but toward the one year mark, I developed eczema. Over a year after quitting, I still have eczema, sensitive and discolored end skin, probably permanently. I also have mild moderate acne. Stop now and try something less harsh. I regret going on it.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 06/18/2015 1:06 pm

I've read about a lot of people stopping the regimen in hopes that they've 'grown out' of their acne. If my hormones were to settle over the next year or so, do you think it would be possible for me to successfully stop using The Regimen, given that my acne was mainly due to my hormones? I've heard about peoples skin becoming addicted / reliant on BP, so I'm worried that even though my hormones may become normal again, I'm going to be stuck using BP forever (whereas if I had simply waited it out on it's own, I wouldn't have to rely on it)...

Your skin will not become addicted to BP. If acne has naturally resolved on its own, then your skin will not need the BP treatment to stay clear, no matter how many years you've been using it. I'm living proof of that. Hope this helps clarify this point! :)

MemberMember
(@ladypink)

Posted : 06/19/2015 6:08 am

No I don't think your skin will become addicted to BP cream, what is important is to stay clear. Once your skin is doing good, you can try stopping the BP, and your skin will most probably be fine, don't worry about it !!!

As for your hormonal issue, you can always look into other treatments to try and balance out your internal issue. But I know in my case, my birth control pill is an absolute must, because without it, I can't stand presenting myself to the world !

So i'd much rather stay on it and be happy :-)

MemberMember
(@justkim)

Posted : 06/20/2015 4:38 am

Alright, thanks for giving me some hope guys! I think I'll stick it out and carry on with the regimen for now, while working on solving any internal issues at the same time (: