Starting Regimen On...

Notifications
Clear all

Starting Regimen On Clear Skin?

MemberMember
(@momo90)

Posted : 06/03/2015 9:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a 25yr old male, been struggling with acne since high school.

I've taken accutane and received laser therapy, and my skin is starting to clear up.

Do you think it's a good idea for me to start the regimen now on my clearer (but still blemished) skin to prevent further break outs?

I'm wondering if it'll be too harsh for my skin especially after all the treatment i had.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@bkubs)

Posted : 06/04/2015 1:33 am

How long have you been off accutane and how dry is your skin normally?

MemberMember
(@momo90)

Posted : 06/04/2015 1:46 am

I've been off accutane for about 6 months now

My skin is on the dry side, usually never oily.

MemberMember
(@bkubs)

Posted : 06/04/2015 12:15 pm

So it's probably alright if you try to use BP to clear up your remaining acne. BP is actually very good for post Accutane users assuming they can handle it. Dan himself is actually a post Accutane BP user. BP works best on mild to moderate so if Accutane has brought you down to this level, BP is a good choice. You just have to be very careful in the beginning not to over do it. People with oily skin tend not to suffer from the dryness from BP as much. Starting BP with an already dry skin type is going to make your face pretty damn dry and if you over do it, a complete desert. Make sure you have a good moisturizer, but since you were on Accutane I assume this is already the case.

Start off using the BP only at night (half a pump for first two weeks and 1 full pump for the next 2 weeks). After this, if you find you still need to see improvement, you can try slowly increasing your BP dose and/or using it twice a day. I would be very careful for the first month though as this is usually the worst in terms of side effects. Also make sure you have healed from your laser treatment and aren't using any other harsh products like AHA/SA.

If you still have acne 6 months after being off Accutane your skin will likely not see further improvements if left untreated. Your only other option would be another round (maybe a higher dose) of Accutane. I would give the BP a shot for 3 months first though as the side effects are much less with BP.

MemberMember
(@momo90)

Posted : 06/04/2015 9:23 pm

Thank you :-) I'll order the kit and start slowly.

Yea my skin is pretty dry and the no oil, non comedogenic moisturizers I've tried seem to just disappear on my skin, leaving it still pretty dry... Hopefully this one will be better

MemberMember
(@bkubs)

Posted : 06/04/2015 10:37 pm

Just a heads up about the moisturizer that comes with the kit, it's not very moisturizing and doesn't have the best reputation here due to all the ingredients Dan puts in it. It causes a fair amount of people to break out as well. You will likely need to find a heavier moisturizer considering your skin type and situation. Dan does not have a dry skin type and thus the product isn't designed to deliver an above average amount of moisture. If the kit moisturizer causes you to break out or falls into same category as your other moisturizers, I linked some heavier ones below. In my experience with patients these usually take care of dryness fairly well and tend not to clog pores for most people.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YJ2SLG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1C17FKDB18CY7&coliid=I3GLMTX6CSJQCW&psc=1

Dries matte and good for morning use

http://www.amazon.com/Cetaphil-Daily-Advance-Lotion-Hydrating/dp/B00352MHE2/ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1433475195&sr=1-3&keywords=cetaphil

Very greasy and should only be used at night but extremely moisturizing (make sure it's not breaking you out as it contains oil)

http://www.amazon.com/Eucerin-Redness-Relief-Soothing-Night/dp/B0013L3XMM/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1433475339&sr=1-1&keywords=redness+relief

Fantastic for night use as it pretty much eliminates most forms of redness from BP